Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 AM

154 posts, read 666,458 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I remember several years ago when I purchased a new car in NJ the inspection was valid for 5 years. Recently I replaced the vehicle but made my purchase in NY due to better pricing. The dealer took care of all the paper work and charged me $450. They told me I can keep my old plate but gave me a temporary one until my paper work is done. The inspection sticker currently on the windshield is a NY one and it is valid for one year. I googled and the DMV site indicated that I can still apply for the 5-year one. With all that said, when should I do it? Next year or as soon as I have all my paper work (registration I assumed)? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Simple, if your vehicle has a New Jersey registration and license plate, you have 14 days from the date of registration to get it inspected.
New Jersey passenger car inspection is quite easy and if you go to one of the state run drive through centers it doesn't cost anything. All they check is your gas cap, whether the car has visible smoke, then they hook up their computer to the plug under your dashboard where you would plug a scanner in. The same plug you would plug a hand held scanner if you had any "check engine" light codes.
If your check engine light is not illuminated you basically pass.

Commercial vehicles still get the full run of safety inspection like brakes, lights, etc, not passenger cars.

Even if you fail inspection you get something like another 45 days to fix any problems once you go through the first time.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Now I'm thinking, if its a new car then I would apply for the new car inspection sticker whithin 14 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey