Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Sorry to ask a question very similar to a previous post, but I am now resigned to needing to rent once the sale of my apartment closes. Our offer on a house fell through, so a 12 month lease doesnt sound out of the question now.

I am having a tough time finding rentals that are not broker-listed (and requiring a fee). Are there any sites I am missing? Local papers that homeowners might advertise in? (didnt see anything in the Scotch Plains Patch)

Craigslist is useless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
There is Duncan Hill (link) apartment complex in Westfield, you can just contact them directly so you don't have to pay any fee. I think you can do month to month too (with higher rent). Maybe not, just ask them.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM

thanks!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
If you dirve down North or South Avenues in all 3 towns you do see some "for rent" signs that are not from realtors. Not sure if they have one and you have to pay a fee anyway, but it doesn't look like it.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM

I am currently in Brooklyn so it is an outing to drive around looking. I wish that there was a local paper, or if homeowners would post in craigslist... I have some time yet, so not in too much a rush..

Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM

280 posts, read 603,832 times
Here is a manged community in Cranford right by the train station and in the town center.

Morgan Properties: Cranford Crossing Apartments 1 South Avenue East & 2 South Avenue West Cranford NJ 07106 | Floorplans Availability & Rent

Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
You can spend a lot of time looking at a lot of properties that really won't work for you, or calling from signs, not even knowing how many bedrooms or how much the rent is.
Why would you rule out your most valuable resource? Time is money. And, if the right property comes on the market you should know about it. That is what Realtors do. Save you money (time).
Landlords that have nice rental properties often list with Realtors. This assures them that they are protected by their leases, and the tenants are screened.
A Realtor will only show you properties that are in your price range, and fit your criteria. For example: if you have a pet, you should only be looking at rentals that accept pets. You can burn a lot of gas trying to save a few bucks.

Good Luck!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
You can spend a lot of time looking at a lot of properties that really won't work for you, or calling from signs, not even knowing how many bedrooms or how much the rent is.
Why would you rule out your most valuable resource? Time is money. And, if the right property comes on the market you should know about it. That is what Realtors do. Save you money (time).
Landlords that have nice rental properties often list with Realtors. This assures them that they are protected by their leases, and the tenants are screened.
A Realtor will only show you properties that are in your price range, and fit your criteria. For example: if you have a pet, you should only be looking at rentals that accept pets. You can burn a lot of gas trying to save a few bucks.

Good Luck!
I have to agree. When I wanted to look in Hoboken, I used an agent and she showed me 7 places on one Saturday and I didn't have to call a single person. Only took one trip, she did all of the paperwork, and showed me places that fit my requirements (not just ones that the owners thought I would like)

Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
Time is money, but money is also money. Broker's fee can be costly. It really depends on OP's availability to check out different rentals.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
I agree that craigslist isn't very useful in the NJ suburbs. (I come from DC, where it's indispensable.)

Have you posted in the Housing Wanted section of craigslist? I'm a landlord -- I have a condo plus an apartment in my two-family house. I don't ever post availability on craigslist; too much craziness. But I read the Housing Wanted ads and I've had very good luck finding good tenants. Just try to sound sane and responsible, and don't include any all-caps threats to report spammers to the craigslist authorities. Landlords don't like to see loud empty threats from prospective tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey