Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times

Advertisements

Posted on wrong forum. Delete please.

Last edited by colorfulchic83; 02-06-2013 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Please delete. Posted here by accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
Uh oh, don't tell me you're moving there. I grew up just south of there in Belmar and I can tell you from experience. The majority of Asbury is a dangerous Ghetto. It makes Wilkes Barre look like a playground. Sure, the beach is being fixed up but that is the same story with Atlantic city. Go in 10 blocks and you are in Beirut. Good luck

Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Uh oh, don't tell me you're moving there. I grew up just south of there in Belmar and I can tell you from experience. The majority of Asbury is a dangerous Ghetto. It makes Wilkes Barre look like a playground. Sure, the beach is being fixed up but that is the same story with Atlantic city. Go in 10 blocks and you are in Beirut. Good luck
Actually, a friend was interested in it. I really know nothing about it, and after Sandy am a bit scared of the Jersey shore..
Are there decent surrounding towns you can recommend her? Thnx!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
A little inland. Neptune is likely the cheapest. I lived in Wall Township but it has gotten really built up and is expensive now. You could try Bradley Beach or Avon just south of Asbury but they are near the beach and will also be expensive. So yeah, now that I think about it Neptune really is probably the best for affordability and not too crime infested yet close to the beach. If you don't mind spending more than I would say Wall Township. 10 to 15 minute drive to the beach and gorgeous.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
I heard Asbury Park is being redesigned as a Gay destination. Cha-ching!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
A little inland. Neptune is likely the cheapest. I lived in Wall Township but it has gotten really built up and is expensive now. You could try Bradley Beach or Avon just south of Asbury but they are near the beach and will also be expensive. So yeah, now that I think about it Neptune really is probably the best for affordability and not too crime infested yet close to the beach. If you don't mind spending more than I would say Wall Township. 10 to 15 minute drive to the beach and gorgeous.
Thanks for the info. She doesn't mind a little bit of a longer ride to the beach. What's 10-15 min. compared to her 1 1/2 hr ride from north Jersey she has now? I'll pass it on to her, and may even look into Wall if I can break away from my true love North Jersey.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I heard Asbury Park is being redesigned as a Gay destination. Cha-ching!
That I heard too, and you are right the gay & lesbian community does drive up prices in an area. Apparently they are staying close to the coast though. I would be scared to be so close to the water. My friend, well, since she has a family, I hope she'd take Sandy into consideration before moving so close to the beach.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Accidentally posted in the NEPA forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

386 posts, read 871,939 times
Asbury Park is on the upswing, it's hardly like Beirut now, heck I'd take it over some lower-income New Jersey towns. That being said, crime is still an issue.

Neptune is about on par with Asbury Park as far as schools and crime go, slightly better.

My friend who lives in Neptune is home-schooled, hearing that's common around that pocket of towns.

Bradley Beach has less crime than both and is nicer in general, but for high school your kids will either go to Asbury Park High, Neptune High, or Red Bank Regional High. If you want to put them in public school in Bradley Beach, push them to do well, as they would need to apply and be accepted to go to Red Bank. Neptune High enrollment is done by a lottery. Otherwise, Asbury Park High is their destination.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM

OK, here's what I posted originally, or at least tried to,lol.

Hi all!

I have a friend that is interested in Asbury Park, NJ. I know absolutely nada about it, and am hoping you guys can help.

She will be renting, and is married with kids. They've already figured out the commute back up north so that's no issue.

Public schools are no issue because she will either send her kids to private school or home-school, since NJ is a home-school friendly state.

She prefers to be in a single family rental, no apartments.

Crime is a concern. She's not hell bent on suburban life, but does want to feel relatively safe. Basically she asked me if the crime in Asbury Park is random, against law abiding citizens, drive by shootings get caught in the cross fire type of crime, or is it a matter of people who are hooked up in criminal activities/drugs who are the victims? Not that anyone should get assaulted or shot, but if you live by the gun, you can expect to die by it, or at least no one should be surprised if it happens.

What areas would you recommend as being safest? Also, she didn't ask, but I think I'll ask for her, what areas are flood prone? What areas were pretty much spared by Sandy? Is Neptune a bit better?

To give you an idea of what she considers OK neighborhoods, she didn't mind living in South Paterson closer to Clifton border, the area of Paterson that borders Fair Lawn, and of course Hill Crest section was no issue. 12th ave Paterson, River Street, Rosa Parks BLVD, area where Christopher Columbus Projects were(forget the new name) and any areas like that are a no go.

Any detailed information/advice you can give I appreciate, and I know she will too.
Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey