Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM

320 posts, read 1,557,925 times

Advertisements

Insurance adjusters are moving into the area and will need housing. Can anyone make suggestions on where to look? My husband is one of these adjusters. Since he is independent, I need to find housing that won't break the bank - that would defeat the purpose of working in the first place.

We are open to hotels, furnished vacation rentals, furnished apartments/houses with utilities, etc. Primary concerns are clean, safe area with utilities provided/included. Internet service is a must. Obviously, electricity is a must. My husband is working an area from Mystic Island up to Belmar to Keansburg, to Basking Ridge to Newton; so something central would be best.

I started this thread for my husband but there will be hundreds, of adjusters in need of reasonable and suitable housing so please post anything you are aware of throughout the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
If he's been sent by the insurance companies, they should be putting him up. If he's simply an independent adjuster looking to get rich of peoples backs, figure it out on your own. The vacation homes and hotels have been wiped out.

And you will not find "reasonable housing" with the amenities you are looking for in the area you are looking for. Tell him to look in Allentown, PA and make the commute.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,671,574 times
Depends on what you consider a reasonable price.

Keep in mind that studio apartments in those areas start at $1k and do not include all utilities, especially internet.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Best bet is to look into long term stay hotels. There is a Residence Inn Marriott Extended Stay in Mount Laurel.

Hotel Mount Laurel | Residence Inn Mt. Laurel at Bishop

My company uses that when we have employees from other offices coming for an extended time. It's a nice place and sits right along Route 38 and 295 and also affords quick access to the NJ Turnpike. It would be a little bit of a hike to his service area, but the hotel is located in an area that wasn't really impacted so he would be guaranteed access to electric, internet, stores, gas, restaurants, etc.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,900,169 times
Well, considering my insurance company has absolutely no idea when they will get an adjuster to my house, he can stay there if he doesn't mind not having heat, hw or electric. Lost the entire first floor and can't begin cleanup until an adjuster comes out.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If he's been sent by the insurance companies, they should be putting him up. If he's simply an independent adjuster looking to get rich of peoples backs, figure it out on your own. The vacation homes and hotels have been wiped out.

And you will not find "reasonable housing" with the amenities you are looking for in the area you are looking for. Tell him to look in Allentown, PA and make the commute.
First off, you must not have any damage and you must not have any compassion for those who do. You also have no understanding of insurance adjusting. Not one insurance company has enough adjusters to handle a catastrophe like this. Most don't have enough to handle a large hail storm. If insurance companies were to keep enough adjusters on the payroll for things like this, no one would be able to afford the rates they would have to charge. So, insurance companies higher independent adjusting firms to handle their inspections. Independent adjusters do not just show up to an area on their own, they are sent by a specific company to handle claims for specific insurance carriers. They are there to represent your insurance company. These independent adjusters must come into the area, find their own accommodations, and cover all their own expenses. Many times, they will not see a paycheck for a month or longer in some cases. Independent insurance adjusters are not the same as public adjusters. Independent adjusters are paid by the insurance company through whatever firms they are working, on a per claim basis. Public adjusters get paid by the consumer.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36 View Post
First off, you must not have any damage and you must not have any compassion for those who do. You also have no understanding of insurance adjusting. Not one insurance company has enough adjusters to handle a catastrophe like this. Most don't have enough to handle a large hail storm. If insurance companies were to keep enough adjusters on the payroll for things like this, no one would be able to afford the rates they would have to charge. So, insurance companies higher independent adjusting firms to handle their inspections.
I absolutely know how it works. I worked for an insurance company (a large one based in NJ for that matter) for over five years. When they bring in independent adjusters to work for them, they also assist them with finding housing, provide them with things like county maps , etc. I have plenty of compassion which is why I'm trying to warn people of scams. You couldn't even figure out how to Google a map showing the counties in NJ and you expect to be able to adequately appraise claims there? What a crock.

Quote:
Independent adjusters do not just show up to an area on their own, they are sent by a specific company to handle claims for specific insurance carriers.
Wrong. They most certainly do show up trying to scam people by misrepresenting themselves when they haven't been hired by a company.

Quote:
They are there to represent your insurance company. These independent adjusters must come into the area, find their own accommodations, and cover all their own expenses. Many times, they will not see a paycheck for a month or longer in some cases. Independent insurance adjusters are not the same as public adjusters. Independent adjusters are paid by the insurance company through whatever firms they are working, on a per claim basis. Public adjusters get paid by the consumer.
I don't see much of a difference. If they can't afford to wait a month to be paid, they should stay home.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I absolutely know how it works. I worked for an insurance company (a large one based in NJ for that matter) for over five years. When they bring in independent adjusters to work for them, they also assist them with finding housing, provide them with things like county maps , etc. I have plenty of compassion which is why I'm trying to warn people of scams. You couldn't even figure out how to Google a map showing the counties in NJ and you expect to be able to adequately appraise claims there? What a crock.

Wrong. They most certainly do show up trying to scam people by misrepresenting themselves when they haven't been hired by a company.

I don't see much of a difference. If they can't afford to wait a month to be paid, they should stay home.
I don't know what you did while working for the insurance company because you are dead wrong about the housing situtation. Insurance companies contract out to independent adjusting firms and they do not assist with finding housing for these companies they contract to. Insurance companies pay on a per claim basis - and all expenses are the responsibility of the independent adjuster.

You also do not seem to understand the difference between a public adjuster and an independent adjuster. Independent adjusters absolutely do not show up and go door to door to anyone because the homeowner is not able to hire them. Homeowners have no say so in the insurance companies adjuster. They cannot not hire an adjuster to do their inspection for the insurance company. Homeowners can hire a Public adjuster to represent them. However, that has nothing to do with the insurance adjuster that the insurance company will send out. Depending on state laws, public adjusters may travel to an area to solicit clients.

Whether or not someone decides to use a public adjuster is a personal decision. I recommend you read and determine if you think it is helpful. For some people, they own a lot of properties and/or are just to busy to deal with the insurance company/claims process, so they would rather hire a public adjuster to handle everything for them. For others, there may be a communication gap due to a language barrier, they might also decide a public adjuster is a good idea. However, everyone should keep in mind that your insurance company does not pay or pay for you public adjuster. They will not include extra money in your claim to cover the use of a public adjuster. Your public adjuster will be paid for out of your very own pocket. Most public adjusters secure a contract with the homeowner which has them receiving a certain percentage of the total claim paid by the insurance company. I recommend you determine if there is really a benefit to hiring a public adjuster before you hire one. Your damages are what they are and you will be paid on that, regardless of whether or not you have a public adjuster (aka 'PA'). If there is a disagreement on what your damages are and the cost to repair, you may decided to hire a PA however, if everything is cut and dry, there may be no real benefit. All and all, it is up to the consumer as to whether or not to use a PA.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,189,137 times
Quote:
First off, you must not have any damage and you must not have any compassion for those who do. You also have no understanding of insurance adjusting. Not one insurance company has enough adjusters to handle a catastrophe like this. Most don't have enough to handle a large hail storm. If insurance companies were to keep enough adjusters on the payroll for things like this, no one would be able to afford the rates they would have to charge. So, insurance companies higher independent adjusting firms to handle their inspections. Independent adjusters do not just show up to an area on their own, they are sent by a specific company to handle claims for specific insurance carriers. They are there to represent your insurance company. These independent adjusters must come into the area, find their own accommodations, and cover all their own expenses. Many times, they will not see a paycheck for a month or longer in some cases. Independent insurance adjusters are not the same as public adjusters. Independent adjusters are paid by the insurance company through whatever firms they are working, on a per claim basis. Public adjusters get paid by the consumer.
I don't want to get in the middle of a debate, I truly don't. However, aside from your last sentence "Public adjusters...", which I know nothing about, this is pretty much my understanding.

I helped an independent adjuster during the months following Katrina. He was given certain "grids" to work and specific names and addresses. My job was to help him coordinate his schedule, call and let the people know when he would be there and to generally be a sounding board for the victims of Katrina.

There were many nights he slept in his car. There were times he was able to find a room to rent in a private home. Many times these "rooms" had two sets of bunk beds making it four to a room. He also kept his trunk full of nutrition bars, dried fruits, crackers etc.

He was mugged once, attacked by a dogs, chased by wharf rats, threatened by homeowners who were not insured by the company he was working on behalf of. I could go on and on.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to go into such horrible conditions day after day after day.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I don't know what you did while working for the insurance company because you are dead wrong about the housing situtation. Insurance companies contract out to independent adjusting firms and they do not assist with finding housing for these companies they contract to. Insurance companies pay on a per claim basis - and all expenses are the responsibility of the independent adjuster.
The one I worked for did.

Quote:
You also do not seem to understand the difference between a public adjuster and an independent adjuster. Independent adjusters absolutely do not show up and go door to door to anyone because the homeowner is not able to hire them. Homeowners have no say so in the insurance companies adjuster. They cannot not hire an adjuster to do their inspection for the insurance company. Homeowners can hire a Public adjuster to represent them. However, that has nothing to do with the insurance adjuster that the insurance company will send out. Depending on state laws, public adjusters may travel to an area to solicit clients.
I do understand the difference. I have no problem with adjusters hired by an insurance company--didn't say I did. However I do have a problem with one who can't even figure out how to Google a very basic thing. that's not the person I want figuring out the value of my claim. Thank God I'm insured through the company rated highest in paying claims quickly and without hassle for the past ten plus years. They'll pay first, ask questions later.

Quote:
Whether or not someone decides to use a public adjuster is a personal decision. I recommend you read and determine if you think it is helpful. For some people, they own a lot of properties and/or are just to busy to deal with the insurance company/claims process, so they would rather hire a public adjuster to handle everything for them. For others, there may be a communication gap due to a language barrier, they might also decide a public adjuster is a good idea. However, everyone should keep in mind that your insurance company does not pay or pay for you public adjuster. They will not include extra money in your claim to cover the use of a public adjuster. Your public adjuster will be paid for out of your very own pocket. Most public adjusters secure a contract with the homeowner which has them receiving a certain percentage of the total claim paid by the insurance company. I recommend you determine if there is really a benefit to hiring a public adjuster before you hire one. Your damages are what they are and you will be paid on that, regardless of whether or not you have a public adjuster (aka 'PA'). If there is a disagreement on what your damages are and the cost to repair, you may decided to hire a PA however, if everything is cut and dry, there may be no real benefit. All and all, it is up to the consumer as to whether or not to use a PA.
This I agree with you 100%, but caution that often the fees are buried in the fine print and to fully read and understand what you are signing before you sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey