Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM

208 posts, read 544,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Nothing against Trenton but really, if you're looking for a historic rowhome for $300k (and for property taxes in the $1200 per year range) just move here.

1400 s. 13th St. philadelphia, pa - Google Maps

at least you'll be close to restaurants, bars, some culture, and won't have to look over your shoulder when you leave your house at night.
My wife and I both love Philly and actually like spending time there more than in NYC. I'd move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far away (we'll be working in New Brunswick). 3 hr daily commute would be brutal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memema View Post
You are not that old, are you....You might be very surprised at how things can deteriorate.
Well you're right about that, but in my (short) time most places I've seen in NJ have changed for the better...

Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM

81 posts, read 184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
Well you're right about that, but in my (short) time most places I've seen in NJ have changed for the better...
I remember when Mill Hill first started to rise back in the 80's. Then it crashed in the 90's
recession and stayed down for a while. This recent boom brought it back. With this real estate
mess who knows what will happen.

It's also a small area in a relatively large mess that can't help but be a drag on it.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
The streets off Market are great, but Market Street itself is run down, with some...interesting people walking around. We briefly got lost on our way there, and drove past some blocks (not very far) that looked like the Wire...

Anyhow, I was more concerned with the state of Market Street than nearby neighborhoods, because it seems like the residents of Mill Hill keep to their homes... might feel like prison after a while.
This is exactly one of the main problems. The houses are very nice, but unless it's a weekday, you really don't want to be going outside. The surrounding neighborhood is pretty bad, and there doesn't seem to be enough cops to keep it under control.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The Trenton Master Plan which was approved in late 2008 includes the following Improvements for that area...it all depends on how fast the economy turns around but Urban Investment and growth is up 25% since last year in the Northeast. Down the road by 2025 NJT will add New Services like the West Trenton RiverLINE Extension and West Trenton Rail line....along with US 1 Bus Rapid Transit to New Brunswick & Morrisville, US 206 Bus Rapid Transit to White Horse , all feeding to the Trenton Transit Center.... So I would give Mill Hill 5-10 years and it will be a thriving Historic section of Trenton.

Infill Development along South Broad Street
Extended Tree lined Median Market Street to Warren Street
Capping over the Northeast Corridor & US 1 to form Parkland from Route 129 to Centre Street
Mill Hill Park Renovations
Restored Assunpink Creek
Improved Mill Hill Park Access
Protected Bike lanes on Market Street , Broad & Warren Streets
Route 29 Freeway will be removed and the Waterfront Parkland Restored
Route 29 will be turned into a Boulevard and moved 2 blocks from its former location
Improved Market Street Interchange , Sidewalks and lighting improved , streets reconfigured

http://www.trentonnj.org/documents/p..._Mill_Hill.pdf

Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Trenton Master Plan which was approved in late 2008 includes the following Improvements for that area...it all depends on how fast the economy turns around but Urban Investment and growth is up 25% since last year in the Northeast. Down the road by 2025 NJT will add New Services like the West Trenton RiverLINE Extension and West Trenton Rail line....along with US 1 Bus Rapid Transit to New Brunswick & Morrisville, US 206 Bus Rapid Transit to White Horse , all feeding to the Trenton Transit Center.... So I would give Mill Hill 5-10 years and it will be a thriving Historic section of Trenton.

Infill Development along South Broad Street
Extended Tree lined Median Market Street to Warren Street
Capping over the Northeast Corridor & US 1 to form Parkland from Route 129 to Centre Street
Mill Hill Park Renovations
Restored Assunpink Creek
Improved Mill Hill Park Access
Protected Bike lanes on Market Street , Broad & Warren Streets
Route 29 Freeway will be removed and the Waterfront Parkland Restored
Route 29 will be turned into a Boulevard and moved 2 blocks from its former location
Improved Market Street Interchange , Sidewalks and lighting improved , streets reconfigured

http://www.trentonnj.org/documents/p..._Mill_Hill.pdf
Thanks Nexis, I really appreciate all the info, though I can't help but wonder if any of this will get done with the budget cuts and all? I seem to remember you providing similar plans for Newark...how realistic are these?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks Nexis, I really appreciate all the info, though I can't help but wonder if any of this will get done with the budget cuts and all? I seem to remember you providing similar plans for Newark...how realistic are these?
The Newark Plans are just taking off , the Highway , Park , and Railway Improvements should get done by 2016...those are budgeted by the state and Feds. The Infill depends on the economy...

Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM

here are some pictures of the townhouse which got us to visit Mill Hill btw... later found out that a 19 year old got shot in the head on that very street last year. even after that i was thinking "it's probably gang on gang violence, might still work" -- the house is on the market for 200k btw, which doesn't even buy a shack in say Highland Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Mill Hill, Trenton?-mill-hill-1.jpg   Mill Hill, Trenton?-mill-hill-2.jpg   Mill Hill, Trenton?-mill-hill-3.jpg   Mill Hill, Trenton?-mill-hill-4.jpg  

Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Looks cozy...i'm sure that area will improve later this decade....or when the economy comes back...

Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Looks cozy...i'm sure that area will improve later this decade....or when the economy comes back...
You're probably right, and by then we won't be able to afford it I could never forgive myself if we move in there and something bad happens... there were multiple forced entry burglaries in the neighborhood just this past spring and summer. I don't get the municipal priorities in some of these urban areas, as the safety of the residents should be the #1 concern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey