Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 24,073 times

Advertisements

I live in NY but am going to be moving in with my girlfriend soon who lives in the Hills complex in Bedminster. I've been looking into ways to commute into the city and the best options for me seems like the Route 78 Lakeland bus line. Anyone familiar with this line and how long the commute takes to Penn Station? Also, does anyone know where in the Hills Shopping Plaza the bus stops at? Do you just park in the lot there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM

97 posts, read 310,830 times
I"m not too famliar about Lakeland since I took the train when I lived in the area. I believe the bus picks you up at the Hills mall (lower one) by where CVS is, but not 100% sure if it's that area of the parking lot. It also stops at the Far Hills and Bernardsville train stations and near Lyons train station, so I'm assuming it should take about an hour 15min to get to Port Authority.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 24,073 times
Thanks so much. I almost feel like I am trying to crack some code to figure this all out. I even tried calling Lakeland and they were pretty useless with information. My girlfriend works local in Newark, so she's not familiar with the bus & train lines. How did you find the train when you were taking it? I spoke to someone who lives in Basking Ridge who commutes in and she said she found the bus much better. hour & 15 mins is fine by me, it's the same as my commute now.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

97 posts, read 310,830 times
I personally liked the train because I did not have to worry about sitting in traffic and they run later at night than the buses. When the weather was bad (rain/snow), I believe people who normally took the bus would take the train.

Also the train leaves you off at 33rd in the city or in Hoboken (you can take the Path from there to either WTC or Chirstopher, 9th, 14th, 23rd or 32nd street). Not sure where you work in the city, but the train may be easier if you work below 39th.

I never took the bus though, so I can't compare the two rides.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,275 times
just called and had very helpful customer service, clear description of bus stop, where to park, etc, and even how to get from 42nd street to work

Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,727 times
Hey did you ever figure this out? I'm about to move to bedminster and am trying to figure out what makes sense- seems like there are only a few busses that run from the hills?

Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,154 times
Hey guys I just posted this review on Yelp and am going to post it here too. I was looking all over the Internet for reviews and it was impossible to find a lot of information without doing practice bus rides and talking to people who did the commute everyday. I hope this review helps somebody who is planning on moving into the area and may be using this mode of transportation to get in and out of the city every day.

I just moved to the Hills and take the Lakeland Bus line 5 days a week. I actually now drive to the Bernardsville train station and take the bus from there because there are more bus options later into the night if I have to work late. Not to mention the amount of time it takes for the bus to go from Bernards to Far Hills I can already be in my car and home.

I take the 645am bus into the city and the 6pm bus home to the Bernardsvllle train station. The morning commute is usually pretty solid and consistent and you will arrive in the city between 745 and 805am almost every day. The way home can be a bit more tricky. The website states it is supposed to arrive at Bernards at 645pm, however that has only happened once (December 23rd). Expect to get home anywhere between 650 and 720pm. Unfortunately with rush hour traffic it's like playing roulette everyday so occasionally it could be later. The traffic is mostly the turnpike and getting out of the tunnel, route 78 is shockingly pretty decent. Also for all non-express busses add an extra fifteen minutes to the website time of arrival. I have also taken earlier and later busses in the morning. From what I have learned the earlier in the morning you leave the better. The 615 has gotten me into the city at 705 a couple times. Traffic starts building at the tunnel right around 8am.

As for the seats themselves. I always get a seat for the 6pm bus home. But if I take the 530pm and get there after 525pm it is standing room only. Thankfully there is a 'secret' 545pm Lyons/Bernards express (only Monday-Thursday and it is not on their website), so if you don't feel like standing you can just wait 15 minutes for that bus. Be warned though that the 545 can occasionally become standing as wel if you get there at exactly 545l. The seats themselves are okay, some have more leg room than others and unfortunately some people may recline their seat on your legs which can be annoying. Also be warned some people try very hard to take up two seats (which is so rude) but they always make space if you ask them. Overall I prefer these seats over the train seats.

Ultimately, if you need to use this bus line every day you won't go crazy and hate your life. I started my NYC commuting by taking the Path from Harrison everyday. Then I switched to the NJtransit Train from Millburn. Now I take the bus from Bernards. I do miss the train and its consistency, but the bus has some perks. It's much easier to sleep when you're going non stop and they turn off the lights, and the seats are a bit more comfortable. The only thing to be warned of with the bus is there are no monthly passes and no mobile tickets, so be prepared to make more space in your wallet for 10 tickets a week, also the bus is a little bit more expensive than the train but if you can afford it go for it, however I will admit if the Bernardsville train had more direct service and better time options I would probably take it. But the bus is growing on me, I take the best naps in the mornings. I have now been doing this commute for five months.

I hope this review helps somebody and wish you luck if you are beginning your new commute as a bus rider. Also be prepared for the occasional car accident in the Lincoln Tunnel or in the bus lane, but as somebody that took NJtransit for multiple years I think my train was actually delayed more often than the bus. Feel free to ask any other questions if you have one

Old 10-08-2017, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,215 times
Kenglin,
Did you get a badge to park at Bernard’s? If so did you get the residential one even though you live in the hills?
And if not is there a lot of parking for non badge holders and what is the amount per day?
Do you also know which stop is at the hills? Is it by kings or cvs?
Moving to the hills in a few months and getting my commute details in line.
Thank you

Old 04-24-2018, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,905 times
Anyone take this commute daily? What are the parking rates / Options for Bernards Township residents along the Lakeland lines? Also if anyone takes the last morning bus - that experience would be really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey