Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 33,792 times

Advertisements

We have two kids and two older parents (just retired) who live with us but don't drive. We have been looking for houses in Bergen county that don't limit my parents' mobility. They would like to commute to the city. Also, we want to make sure that our kids are getting a decent education.

We started looking in Fort Lee because it seemed to fit the bill. But, house prices are $100-150K higher than comparable towns a little north. And, the houses seem to be smaller than ones further north. We are thinking of expanding our search.

Can someone please recommend towns similar to Fort Lee that have a decent school district and will let my parents commute to the city by bus (<1 hour)? They are OK with walking a few blocks to take a bus but being closer to bus stops is better...

Thanks,
MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM

292 posts, read 719,044 times
Ridgewood is best for what you speak of in Bergen County. I'd also look into Ramsey, but there is far more in Ridgewood. Its an alright location; its within 5 miles of Routes 208, 4, 17 and the GS Parkway.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,618 times
Waldwick might aso be good. Some shops and such in the downtown area and a train station to the city. Fair Lawn could also be an option but most houses are likely smaller than what it seems you need if you've got parents living with you as well.

What is your budget anyway and how many bedrooms are you looking for? That'll help us give you a better idea of where to suggest.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,482 times
I will vote for a town I grew up in, Bogota. I always thought I received a good education (many associates from school have done very well and have remained in town though some like me have moved out). It is close to NY via mass transit, has prices that may be lower (slightly) than Ft. Lee, and may have the size domicile you seek. I always considered it a type of Mayberry town, very safe and neighbors can be friendly. I can recall from my childhood block parties and an annual parade (4 decades ago), though I don't know if this type of merriment continues. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
I will vote for a town I grew up in, Bogota. I always thought I received a good education (many associates from school have done very well and have remained in town though some like me have moved out). It is close to NY via mass transit, has prices that may be lower (slightly) than Ft. Lee, and may have the size domicile you seek. I always considered it a type of Mayberry town, very safe and neighbors can be friendly. I can recall from my childhood block parties and an annual parade (4 decades ago), though I don't know if this type of merriment continues. Good luck!
Well, yes haha. I rarely push hard to recommend Bogota because as a resident, I don't want to come off as overly bias in loving my little town and trying to tell people it's the best. But oh well, here we go.

Bogota it is totally doable with what you're looking for. It's a very walkable town. Even if you don't live close enough to the little downtown on Main St, it's very easy to catch a bus to Ridgefield Park's downtown on Main St (Queen Anne Rd in Bogota) or up to Cedar Ln in Teaneck. Overall though Bogota is a very walkable town. My girlfriend and I moved here from Queens and Brooklyn where we were used to walking everywhere, and we've been lucky to enjoy a lot of that here as well. We've got restaurants, pubs, convenience stores and delis all within a few minutes walk. You could exist without a car. It's a very safe town, very quiet and many houses with great curb appeal. Taxes are rather high though, considering it's a very small town (.75 sq miles) with all its own municipal services except the court which it now shares with Little Ferry.

Tons of great places to eat and have a drink though. If you're looking for a neighborhood pub look no further than 101 Pub, possibly the friendliest and most welcoming place and damn is the food awesome. Andy's Corner Bar blends loyal neighborhood appeal with some of the best ever rotating craft drafts around. Amazing Italian dining to be had at Nicole's and La Famiglia. For perfect NJ pizza, look no further than Master Pizza. Queen Anne Delicatessen will take care of your taylor ham, egg & cheese on a roll needs with a smile.

We don't have kids but friends of ours send their kid to the public schools here and have only good things to say. And the commute into the city is very easy, there's buses along all the major roads through town going to Port Authority and GWB bus terminal.

OK there it is, my super bias recommendation of Bogota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey