Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 11,446 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My family is looking to move to NNJ; we live in Brooklyn, NY.

Husband and I are mid 30s. He works in Florham Park and I'm a SAHM to three children under the age of three. Before taking a child care leave, I was a public school teacher (and may return to work once the kids are in school full-time.)

We would like to find a town that is child friendly ... schools first, but also playgroups, classes, activities, etc.

Husband does travel to Manhattan (often, but not daily) so we would like the convenience of a direct line to Penn.

A pedestrian downtown/Main Street appeals to me as well - I would really dislike a strip-mall style area (not quite sure what terms are most accurate, so no intention to offend.) I don't need a Lord & Taylor that I can walk to, but maybe coffee, restaurants, small shops, and the like.

We require a 4 bedroom house and have *almost* narrowed it down to Chatham. Before making a decision, however, I'm wondering if I'm neglecting a town that might work for us equally well, if not better.

We have tossed around Westfield and Summit. Any reasons to look at these towns more in depth? Any reason to avoid these two towns as well? Additionally, is there some obvious choice that I'm completely missing? Does Chatham sound like it may be a good fit for our family?

I don't want to leave Brooklyn too far behind, so going much further isn't really an option.

Many thanks,
Enza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Madison has a great walkable downtown.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzaEnza View Post
Hello!
My family is looking to move to NNJ; we live in Brooklyn, NY.

Husband and I are mid 30s. He works in Florham Park and I'm a SAHM to three children under the age of three. Before taking a child care leave, I was a public school teacher (and may return to work once the kids are in school full-time.)

We would like to find a town that is child friendly ... schools first, but also playgroups, classes, activities, etc.

Husband does travel to Manhattan (often, but not daily) so we would like the convenience of a direct line to Penn.

A pedestrian downtown/Main Street appeals to me as well - I would really dislike a strip-mall style area (not quite sure what terms are most accurate, so no intention to offend.) I don't need a Lord & Taylor that I can walk to, but maybe coffee, restaurants, small shops, and the like.

We require a 4 bedroom house and have *almost* narrowed it down to Chatham. Before making a decision, however, I'm wondering if I'm neglecting a town that might work for us equally well, if not better.

We have tossed around Westfield and Summit. Any reasons to look at these towns more in depth? Any reason to avoid these two towns as well? Additionally, is there some obvious choice that I'm completely missing? Does Chatham sound like it may be a good fit for our family?

I don't want to leave Brooklyn too far behind, so going much further isn't really an option.

Many thanks,
Enza

I do not think you can go wrong with Chatham or Chatham Twp., they are wonderful places to raise a family and have consistently been at the top of the lists as far as great schools. Don't forget to look at the Twp as well as the borough, because even when you are in much of the Twp you are only minutes from the downtown area of the borough. I'd add Madison to your list to check out as well, it is located right next door. If you search on C/D for threads on these towns you will find a wealth of info.

While Westfield has a lot going for it, it has several major drawbacks, not the least of which is the outrageous taxes. Summit has a wonderful downtown, but does not seem to have the small town cohesiveness and sense of community that you will find in the Chathams or Madison. While overall Summit is safe, parts of Summit are also a bit sketchy. Summit also has higher taxes then you will find in the Chathams or Madison.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,917 times
If you live Chatham Township, you do not have parking privileges at the train station. Only the borough does. Therefore, you get more bang for your buck in the township.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
If you live Chatham Township, you do not have parking privileges at the train station. Only the borough does. Therefore, you get more bang for your buck in the township.
...and you have the privilage of having a "chatitude". (well known in chatham).

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I do not think you can go wrong with Chatham or Chatham Twp., they are wonderful places to raise a family and have consistently been at the top of the lists as far as great schools. Don't forget to look at the Twp as well as the borough, because even when you are in much of the Twp you are only minutes from the downtown area of the borough. I'd add Madison to your list to check out as well, it is located right next door. If you search on C/D for threads on these towns you will find a wealth of info.

While Westfield has a lot going for it, it has several major drawbacks, not the least of which is the outrageous taxes. Summit has a wonderful downtown, but does not seem to have the small town cohesiveness and sense of community that you will find in the Chathams or Madison. While overall Summit is safe, parts of Summit are also a bit sketchy. Summit also has higher taxes then you will find in the Chathams or Madison.

HTH

KoalaNJ
Compared to where? Westfield's taxes aren't any more outrageous than the Chathams or Madison. They certainly aren't on par with Maplewood or Glen Ridge.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Compared to where? Westfield's taxes aren't any more outrageous than the Chathams or Madison. They certainly aren't on par with Maplewood or Glen Ridge.

A quick search on Trulia indicates that the taxes on an approx. $600,000 home in Westfield is over $13,000, while the taxes in Chatham or Madison for an approx $600,000 home is around $8,000 to 9,000. That is what I based my statement on - checking multiple listings in the price range in all the communities mentioned.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
A quick search on Trulia indicates that the taxes on an approx. $600,000 home in Westfield is over $13,000, while the taxes in Chatham or Madison for an approx $600,000 home is around $8,000 to 9,000. That is what I based my statement on - checking multiple listings in the price range in all the communities mentioned.

KoalaNJ

I can vouch for this having shopped in Westfield last year. Most homes starting around that range $600k or so), where about $12k. Some smaller homes, capes, that still had 70s carpeting would have lower taxes of about $8-$10k but that's without your remodeling dollars

Madison was a bit lower $8-11K but in the $600k bracket you were almost looking at only capes. Once you went to the next bracket of larger style homes than your taxes were also creeping up in the $12s and up....

Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
...and you have the privilage of having a "chatitude". (well known in chatham).

I don't live in Chatham but definitely spend alot of time there. I never sensed the Chatitude. Chatham is a nice town but many of the homes are ehh, and some don't even maintain their lawns. Also, Chatham's downtown isn't all that interesting. It is fine but not uber exciting. Also, the place is a ghost town on Sunday. Nothing is open.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM

265 posts, read 597,745 times
What's your budget? Renting or buying? Job location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey