Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,605,060 times

Advertisements

need a new gas furnace.......thinking of GOODMAN........good choice, any other ideas.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 AM

19,144 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Over the years, when I have had my furnace serviced, I have always asked the technician about what brands he recommends when it comes time for replacement of the HVAC system. While the recommended brands have always varied a bit, what has not varied is that every technician has stated that Goodman furnaces are the most problem-prone.

And, then, when Consumer Reports compiled their reliability report on furnaces a couple of years ago, their subscribers also ranked Goodman furnaces at the bottom of the reliability rankings.

I posted the information above a few months ago, when another forum member asked a similar question. One of the other responses was from someone who owns an HVAC company that sells Goodman products. This particular person stated that both Consumer Reports and...perhaps...6 or 7 different technicians were all wrong, and that Goodman was a reliable brand.

So--I leave it up to you to sort out the information above.
Are 6 or 7 "disinterested" parties, plus a statistical study, correct--or is a person who stands to profit from the sale of a Goodman heating system correct?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 PM

572 posts, read 2,023,116 times
When I was getting my Furnace and AC replaced last year I had the option of Carrier or Goodman. While the Carrier system was about $1700 (before the tax credits) more then Goodman all the research I did convinced me it was worht the extra money now to not be hosed with repairs/replacement later.

The HVAC salesman said it best...if it was a house I was planning on residing in for a while then spend the money up front...something I would be selling in the near future then take the cheaper route and let the next homeowner deal with it.

While I do not plan on being in my condo forever I still bit the bullet and got the better system. EVERY article and review I read said that Goodman was inferior to most other HVAC systems out there.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
need a new gas furnace.......thinking of GOODMAN........good choice, any other ideas.....
AVOID THE GOODMAN.

I let my contractor talk me into it to save some $$$ and I'm having nothing but issues. In 18 months we've had 9 service calls.

If anyone has any info on lemon laws for HVAC and how I can get this thing out of my house please post!!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,742 times
Our home came with a Goodman system provided by our builder and after 3 years we've had to replace a motor recently and to fix coil leaks before that. Nothing but problems.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,194 times
I had a Goodman Furnace Installed 11/8/2004, within six years I had to have the Inducer Assembly replaced and several pressure control switches replaced! It has been a costly Furnace!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: