Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,552 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to South Orange in the coming months and one home we're considering is next to the NJ Transit railroad tracks. We've been there at different times when commuter trains have gone by, and the noise is minimal. Can someone tell us if freight trains ever run on this line through South Orange? We can live with electric commuter trains running behind our home, but diesel engines and freight trains of any kind (especially chemical trains and cobra/piranha/man-eating tiger trains) would be a concern.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm having a very, very hard time finding this info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,036,730 times
Freight service was supposed to end in 2008 but there's apparently still been some light freight activity serving the Reheis Chemical plant. Due to it being NJ Transit trackage, Norfolk Southern likely has to operate the freights later at night after the commuter trains have finished their last runs. Likely it will not be a long or loud freight train.

Nex you probably have some more insight on NS's freight usage of this line.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM

10,228 posts, read 19,286,982 times
There's definitely diesel passenger trains on that line. I'm not sure they're any louder than the electrics, though.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,915,875 times
Well her are some of the trains that run on that line , some are Diesel , some are Electric . Freight is rare.

Mountain Station Video Part 1 - YouTube

Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Default Thanks for all the replies!!

Thank goodness we just made an offer, so we can still get out of it if we have to. Would any of you live right next to the tracks, or would you consider that to be a deal breaker? The house is pretty perfect in every other way, and the neighbor we asked about it said she's used to it and it doesn't bother her, but who knows? We're pretty irritable about noise. It has to be quieter than Brooklyn, though, right?

I used to live pretty close to busy freight railroad tracks, and I remember hearing the trains, but they never bothered me. But these tracks are literally in our back yard!!

I just don't know what to do!!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,899 times
Xynthee's husband here ... How often do the diesel trains run, and what times of day, compared to the electric trains? Thanks again to all for your feedback - this is helpful.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,355,065 times
Well my cousin lived in an apt in Rutherford along the tracks up the road from the station, all diesel trains, and it didn't bother him. But his bedroom didn't face the tracks. Depends where your bedroom is.

Freights don't run unless it's for maintenance purposes, and it's rare. Diesels do run at least 5 days a week throughout the day and night though not often compared to electrics. I wouldn't buy a house there.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM

The master bedroom is on the other side of the house, thank goodness. I still worry, though!!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM

How old is the House , Railroad suburbs have thick walled homes that block out most of the noise...

Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Around 300 trains use that line daily probably 30 of them are diesels and maybe 2 are freight....Diesels mainly run during peak hrs in peak direction every 10-30mins...if your planning to stay for a few decades even more Diesels will be added to this when they restore the Lackawanna Railway (2013) and Philpsburg line (2020s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey