Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,313,569 times

Advertisements

NoworNever, can you tell us what you got so far on your research? I'm curious about what you will do with the info from a neat haunt in my home state.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM

469 posts, read 1,641,718 times
Thank you very much for your assistance as it helped. Where is the multi-family house and two commercial businesses located? Moreover, what are the businesses and is the multi-family house a duplex or have various apartments/condos? Do you know what the current tax rate (property, etc) is in this town? Years ago it was something like 67 cents for every $100 of valued property.

The area you were speaking of called 8-Ball how difficult is that to get to? Lastly, do you see any other town in the state of New Jersey becoming the "next" Alpine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
My parents live in Alpine/I have been living in Alpine, and I can tell you that's pretty much it. Alpine isn't really a town in any real sense. It's just a bunch of huge mansions. There's only one multi-family house and like 2 commercial buildings/businesses.

Why are you doing a project on Alpine? There isn't really much there.

The only things I can tell you about you may not know, is that in the Alpine nature preserve, if you hike the right path, you can get to this gorgeous-view cliff. The area is called 8-ball. You come out of the woods onto this sizable solid-rock area. The single-piece rock ground you're standing on curves down into a cliff/ravine, and there's a gorgeous view of the horizon. All over the place kids have graffiti'd everywhere on the rocks, things such as "Sex drugs and rock & roll!" and other such things. Supposedly the son of some radio DJ commited suicide there. I've been there once, tried to hike to it agfain this past summer, couldn't find it. Next time I'mm gonna ask the ranger how to get there. If you ever go there be careful there are bears in the area. I'm sure of this, since we heard one from our backyard once. That was a scary night.

here's another, one of the few businesses in town, a landscaping place at the top of Closter Dock road, is run by John McAffrey, who also runs/lives on MacBain park, which is down Closter dock road and then noth on Anderson Ave and then down on Hickory, in Closter. It's a farm that's free to closter residents to pick produce from, though there's a one one-gal bucket limit per day. McAffrey is an easy-to-recognize guy with his bushy beard

Here's another, on the lot next to the boro hall, you'll notice it's an empty lot, just grass, but on the side close to the boro hall, there's some kind of garden thingy with sculptures. This was made by a guy who helps out at the boro hall a lot. He doesn't work there officially, he just helps out, doesn't have a job himself, is on some kind of disability. He changes the garden around now and then. I remember once around 9-11 he made some things to represent the twin towers.

here's another one. Did you know that besides being a nuisance on the road, deer are also so stupid they'll try to jump fences, not make, and get impaled on the fancy spear-point thingies on the top, and die there and leave a horrible mess for you to have to clean up? Oh and they'll do this repeatedly (let's say it's happened 4-5 times over 11 years). Also, sometimes the males get their antlers stuck in the fence.

hmmm.... The large farm lot with one tiny house at the top of the hill (trhough it's not really a farm anymore, now it's just a huge lawn), the guy who lives there owns a 1920's or 10's era car - saw him drive out of his driveway with it once. Well, it could have been a friend/relative of his. Also on that lot there's a HUGE apple tree, like 30 feet tall. All the deer go around there and eat the apples.

what else.
Sean Puffy Combs owns a house on Anderson Ave towards the dead end. You can see it from the "C" on the gate for "Combs". It used to have an "A" for the previous homeowner's family name.

On the dead end of Anderson you can actually walk, Walk by McAffrey's place (you'll see all his antique equipmet), there's sort of a path, walk across the creek past Ruckman Rd, and get to Norwood.

There's tons of old glass in the woods in certain places from people who lived there from way back when. some old bottles are on display in the boro hall.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 AM

154 posts, read 449,915 times
My friends live in Alpine, it's a super super rich area...
Big mansions, and super versalie style estates! Lots of celebs & wealthy jews! The Locals refer to Alpine as the "upper upper west side". I think I heard they don't even get mail delivered to their homes, theirs a store that everyone in town has a mail box and goes to pick up their mail at. It keeps taxes super low.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,102,155 times
hey GoYanks, how about you calm down a little, I clearly wasn't seriously upset about your Kiku comment.
This a drab text-only internet forum, I've got to lighten it up a little

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM

NowOrNever,

Do you live in New Jersey? If you can drive to Alpine you could see what I'm talking about.

The businesses and one multi-fam are at the top of the hill/palisades on Closter Dock Road. The multifamily is the house with the spire, built of bricks. It's a two-family. I don't know if I'd call it a "duplex", because it wasn't built in that deliberate side-by-side fashion, it's just a really old house that must've been grandfathered in after the zoning changes. I know about it because I'm a licensed realestate agent, and I was suprised when I saw a rental listing in Alpine. I don't know ABSOLUTELY for sure it's the only multi-family, but I've never seen any other that could be, so I wouldn't be surprised. The only dense development "in Alpine" is the bellaire townhomes, right next to the Alpine country club, but those are technically in Demarest.

The businesses are the Citgo station, (again at the top of the hill, right next to 9W), which also has a little quick-stop food/coffee shop in it. And then there's the landscaping business/firewood place I don't remember the name of run by McAffrey, the same guy who runs the Closter MacBain farm park. And then near the Municipal building there is one house/building that houses an HVAC business or something. I don't know if they're still in there.

Do you understand where Alpine is? It's on the hill/slope down from the palisades, which are the cliffs over the Hudson River.

Alpine is known for having a lot of celebrity houses. Puff Daddy, Lil Kim, ... Beyonce? etc.

8-ball isn't too hard to get to if you already know how to get there (and you don't mind hiking). It's in the Alpine nature preserve. The alpine nature preserve is essentially an extension of the Palisades interstate Park Preserve, which basically just encompasses the Palisades, which are a bunch of cliffs, so were already naturally preserved anyway since it's impossible to build there. FYI this is how a LOT of nature preserves are chgosen in terms of location, they're the places that are hard to bring civilization into in the first place so it never happened, so in later times (Teddy Roosevelkt and afterwards), they picked those areas to be the "preserves".

Whoever saidthe thing about the store for the mail... uhhh... yeah, it's not a store, it's a post office. Yeah there's no mail delivery, so the residents use PO Boxes, which are at the post office.

ummm..... The municipoal building has a bucket for battery recycling which I find useful, I keep all spent batteries and take them there.

Taxes? Ask the township, pretend you're looking to buy a house

other than that there's the haunted tower and the radio receiver thingy

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 PM

only other thing I can think of is the Frick estate which is worth mentioning. Super-duper luzury mondo houses being built there. The one built is like 30,000 sq ft and $32 million. The whole estate was subdivided into 7 buildable lots. Each one has a lot of land more than the house, so some of the onwers will be able to raise/keep horses. I've seen the estate over the fence and at the bottom is an idyllic field with a creek running through it towards you (driving on Closter Dock road) on a slight slope towards you.

Oh yeah and once a year there's the Alpine car show, held somewhere in Alpine. They show a bunch of nice cars.

other than that you can go to the municipal building and ask for some history. They might have a copy of one of those books that that company made for like each town in NJ that always the cover is some old black and white picture and the title has like a green outline. I know that on display they have a bunch of old bottles, the kind of which you can find all over the hillside throughout Alpine. The side of my parent's property is full of these broken bottles, and they keep coming up due to the erosion of the hillside. Our butterfluff dog always goes in the bushes chasing animals and stuff and I'm worried about her hurting her feet, but so far she's been OK.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 PM

one other thing I can think of is there's a water tower thingy at the dead end of Anderson Avenue

and oh yeah. there's a whole bit of a controversy about Ruckman Road. Like Hudson Ave in Tenafly, the original plan was that the road would go from 9W at the top of the palisades, down the hill into the center of town. But like Hudson ave, the area in between is now nature preserve, so finishing the road would ruin the preserve, and of course the residents of the towns do not want the connections made because it would significantly increase traffic on those roads, and especially trucks would come down to get into the towns faster

Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM

469 posts, read 1,641,718 times
I have started the project. I tried calling the car service. Do they also own the gas station? The guy on the phone was very rude and quick to hang-up. The other businesses have been helpful and direct however. It is a pain, because I have to speak with the car service/gas station people and can't understand why they would not willing to speak for two minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
NowOrNever,

Do you live in New Jersey? If you can drive to Alpine you could see what I'm talking about.

The businesses and one multi-fam are at the top of the hill/palisades on Closter Dock Road. The multifamily is the house with the spire, built of bricks. It's a two-family. I don't know if I'd call it a "duplex", because it wasn't built in that deliberate side-by-side fashion, it's just a really old house that must've been grandfathered in after the zoning changes. I know about it because I'm a licensed realestate agent, and I was suprised when I saw a rental listing in Alpine. I don't know ABSOLUTELY for sure it's the only multi-family, but I've never seen any other that could be, so I wouldn't be surprised. The only dense development "in Alpine" is the bellaire townhomes, right next to the Alpine country club, but those are technically in Demarest.

The businesses are the Citgo station, (again at the top of the hill, right next to 9W), which also has a little quick-stop food/coffee shop in it. And then there's the landscaping business/firewood place I don't remember the name of run by McAffrey, the same guy who runs the Closter MacBain farm park. And then near the Municipal building there is one house/building that houses an HVAC business or something. I don't know if they're still in there.

Do you understand where Alpine is? It's on the hill/slope down from the palisades, which are the cliffs over the Hudson River.

Alpine is known for having a lot of celebrity houses. Puff Daddy, Lil Kim, ... Beyonce? etc.

8-ball isn't too hard to get to if you already know how to get there (and you don't mind hiking). It's in the Alpine nature preserve. The alpine nature preserve is essentially an extension of the Palisades interstate Park Preserve, which basically just encompasses the Palisades, which are a bunch of cliffs, so were already naturally preserved anyway since it's impossible to build there. FYI this is how a LOT of nature preserves are chgosen in terms of location, they're the places that are hard to bring civilization into in the first place so it never happened, so in later times (Teddy Roosevelkt and afterwards), they picked those areas to be the "preserves".

Whoever saidthe thing about the store for the mail... uhhh... yeah, it's not a store, it's a post office. Yeah there's no mail delivery, so the residents use PO Boxes, which are at the post office.

ummm..... The municipoal building has a bucket for battery recycling which I find useful, I keep all spent batteries and take them there.

Taxes? Ask the township, pretend you're looking to buy a house

other than that there's the haunted tower and the radio receiver thingy

Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,191 times
Why don't you try knocking on some doors in Alpine; try to speak to the residents who live there.
I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome, and you'll even get a free tour of the local police department.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Car service? What Car service? Dude, just drive there. Do you not have a car? There are buses.

I forgot to say that there is a Freidberg Realty office also at the top of Closter Dock rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey