Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Leester

n/a posts

Advertisements

I took interest in the Asian Indians thread and the links it included to other discussions. And since I'm a person of Korean ancestry, I became curious as to how Americans in New Jersey see us Koreans.

To you in Hudson and Bergen counties, especially Bergen, what is your view of Koreans? There are many Koreans in Fort Lee, Edgewater, Palisades Park, and Tenafly. Please be honest, but also, please don't be mean-spirited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,942,565 times
Dude,
Do you have anything better to do with your time? Inspired? Yeah right.
Anyone who posts here after this needs to have their computer crash.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Leester

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Dude,
Do you have anything better to do with your time? Inspired? Yeah right.
Anyone who posts here after this needs to have their computer crash.
Cyntmac,

I'm asking because I frankly believe segments of my ethnic community in NJ is poorly attuned to its relations with its other communities. We Koreans tend to be exclusivist, exclusionistic, and secluded, and that often hampers communication and understanding. Since I myself live in that area, I would like to know how we're seen. I'm very grateful for NJ and everything it offers, but I don't want to come across as rude or what have you.

If you have nothing constructive to add, just ignore the thread. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 AM

57 posts, read 310,306 times
Most white Americans I know consider Asians including Asian Indians to be good neighbors. That’s not to say there isn’t some stereotyping or other profiling but so-called white Americans do that among them selves and Asians should not feel singled out.

Some stereotypes white Americans believe are that Asians are hard working, well educated, family oriented and law abiding. That’s not to say there aren’t some negative stereotypes too. But again look at the things European Americans say about each other.

Don’t sweat it, Asians are welcome in most middleclass communities and even seen as desirable neighbors.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,005,903 times
You can call my post the "White man's burden"......It is my opinion and it's not ment to offend or be mean-spirited.

The way I see it there are only a few place's where the predominant race is white. The US, Canada, Europe, Australia among them. The one thing all these white countrys have in common is there are a lot of non white people immigrating to them. You don't see white's immigrating to Central America or India or Korea in the number's that come here. I believe they come to these white countrys for one reason: money.

The problem I have with it is. The other race's have there own country to go back to where they can be with there own kind. Korean's have Korea, Indian's have India, ect...What will white's have if immigration is left the way it is? Could you imagin what it would be like if China decided to become a free society?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,921,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
You can call my post the "White man's burden"......It is my opinion and it's not ment to offend or be mean-spirited.

The way I see it there are only a few place's where the predominant race is white. The US, Canada, Europe, Australia among them. The one thing all these white countrys have in common is there are a lot of non white people immigrating to them. You don't see white's immigrating to Central America or India or Korea in the number's that come here. I believe they come to these white countrys for one reason: money.

The problem I have with it is. The other race's have there own country to go back to where they can be with there own kind. Korean's have Korea, Indian's have India, ect...What will white's have if immigration is left the way it is? Could you imagin what it would be like if China decided to become a free society?
Actually I dont have india to go back too..because I consider myself and my kids american...LOL..we have indian heritage in us, but we are american..and my parents also feel the same.

When we go back for visits..we are still considered american. But I KNOW what you are saying..its the recent immigrants that have that window while getting their degrees or immigration papers in order to decide if this country is for them or not.

I would think since canada is pretty much american (you all kwim)...that there is greater influx of immigrants in canada too, and London?

Either way..I do understand that he recent immigrants can pack it up and go to their home country..but for the rest of us..our choices are limited.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Leester

n/a posts
Quote:

Um... my question was, how do you view Koreans in NJ.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Leester

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
As a fellow Asian-American, what have your interactions with Koreans in NJ been like? How do you see us Koreans?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Leester

n/a posts
Quote:

Stone, I don't want to divert this discussion, but I'll say this. Immigration is not as clear cut as you make it. Once a person has been here for a good amount of time, reacclimating oneself to one's home country can be quite hard. And FYI I am no liberal on immigration. I came here legally, oppose any type of amnesty, and would have no problem with mass deportation of illegals.

So, if you are able and willing, please do contribute by saying what your interactions with Koreans in NJ has been like. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM

57 posts, read 310,306 times
I’ve had mostly good interactions with Koreans. And I’ve had a few bad experiences like anyone else. Most people are nice when you get to know them and some people are rude.

There was I time back in the 80’s when I used to frequent a Korean restaurant in Woodside Queens. The owners and waiters were just lovely people and the food was very nice indeed. Other times I was in a business calling on convenience stores and some people were nice and some were not.

There can be hardness or what seems to be rude exterior on some recent immigrants from Korea but that’s cultural and in one generation they assimilate like most other people.

Like I said in my previous post Asians are welcome in middleclass communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey