Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
Um... my question was, how do you view Koreans in NJ.

I don't think Koreans are bad people. I know they came to this country to make a better life for themselves. But I would be lying if I told you I wish there were more Koreans. As a white person I am hoping this country stays predominantly white. I pray we reform immigration so that we let in very few people and only those with useful skills. Remember, you can go back to Korea and be with your own race. All the white counrtys with the exception of few in remote places are being ruined by immigrants. Look at France or London if were not carefull were next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
As a fellow Asian-American, what have your interactions with Koreans in NJ been like? How do you see us Koreans?
HMnn I am trying to rack my brain right now..I think most of my friend were back in the days of college..and I cannot say anything negative. Most of the people (when I worked) in my department were caucasion..so to be frank with you..just due to lack of exposure..I dont have anything negative to say...

Sorry I couldnt help out more.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,460 times
Having worked for Koreans I have first-hand knowledge of them. And I can offer you my appraisel of the handful that I worked for. But, more importantly what purpose does it serve? I don't like generalizations. I don't like being stereo-typed for my nationality (Italian) and if the question were put out there about Jews, Irish, Chinese, Germans, Blacks, and so on.. there would be someone unhappy with the response.

If you as a Korean view other Koreans as separatists, begin a dialogue within your community about how you might better relations within your community. It's as though you answered your own question.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I honestly think a lot of white people in Bergen are pissed off about the influx of Koreans into their towns and neighborhoods. I have met a couple of white families who are fleeing their neighborhoods in Bergen to get away from all of the Koreans (and other Asian people) moving in.

That being said, I don't personally have a problem with Koreans. I actually used to live in Asia, albeit Southeast Asia not Northeast Asia, and had a couple of Korean friends in college.

Korean people in America are really sheltered though, that is what I will say. You guys will find a neighborhood you like, half of Seoul will all of a suden decide to move there, and you will build up artificial walls to keep anyone who isn't Korean out (for example Korean businesses will have no exterior signs in English, and random Karaoke and Korean grocery stores will sprout all over the place). I honestly think this exclusionary behavior is done much more so by Koreans than any other ethnic group in America's recent history of immigration. Even the Chinese who admittedly are a bit clannish when it comes to their neighborhoods are always quite welcoming to non-Chinese people (hell most of their neighborhoods end up becoming tourist spots).

If you ever want to meet some white people who really hate Koreans go out to eastern Queens in neighborhoods like Flushing (not too many white people left there now though), Whitestone, or Bayside. I know some people in these neighborhoods and if you ask them what they think about Korean people they usually begin to seethe with anger. I suppose I might be the same way if my whole neighborhood turned into a Korean ghetto where nearly all of the signs were in a language other than English.

The really symbolic thing when I think of Koreans in this area of the country is this old Irish bar in Flushing that was sold to some Koreans and turned into some type of Korean restaurant. This formely well respected bar is now named "Duck Butt" and has cartoon pictures of Duck a$$es all over it.

I think this place really symbolizes the Korean immigrant experience in America, in that there is a very high disregard by Koreans for what other might think of whatthey are doing in the neighborhood coupled with Koreans not understanding American culture very well. You can take a look at this joint here: NYC: Solve the Mystery of the Duck Butt « Off The Broiler

Old 08-11-2007, 07:48 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
Having worked for Koreans I have first-hand knowledge of them. And I can offer you my appraisel of the handful that I worked for. But, more importantly what purpose does it serve? I don't like generalizations. I don't like being stereo-typed for my nationality (Italian) and if the question were put out there about Jews, Irish, Chinese, Germans, Blacks, and so on.. there would be someone unhappy with the response.

If you as a Korean view other Koreans as separatists, begin a dialogue within your community about how you might better relations within your community. It's as though you answered your own question.
Totally Agreed....Again, not to sound like a broken record, but there is really NO reason to discuss the races and ethnicities on a general NJ thread..because no doubt it will get political or controversial...and there is a forum for that on city-data. Another reason why NOW I can firmly say that one of my "own people" (indian)...had to go off and start a thread that made no sense on a forum where people have questions about NJ...rather than discuss NJ from a city standpoint.

Thank you for this post!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 39,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
You can call my post the "White man's burden"......It is my opinion and it's not ment to offend or be mean-spirited.

The way I see it there are only a few place's where the predominant race is white. The US, Canada, Europe, Australia among them. The one thing all these white countrys have in common is there are a lot of non white people immigrating to them. You don't see white's immigrating to Central America or India or Korea in the number's that come here. I believe they come to these white countrys for one reason: money.

The problem I have with it is. The other race's have there own country to go back to where they can be with there own kind. Korean's have Korea, Indian's have India, ect...What will white's have if immigration is left the way it is? Could you imagin what it would be like if China decided to become a free society?
To: Stone28

"Their own country to go back to":
Well historically speaking, for Caucasians.......Why isn't Europe and western Asia an option ?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,345 times
Default I've read all of your messages

The idea of Koreans in the US is not perceived correctly because many non-Koreans think that Koreans come to the US for money. Some of you have wrote that money is the reason.

For Koreans from South Korea, they come to the US because the cost of living is cheeper in the US. South Korea's capitol city, Seoul, was mark as the #2 the most expensive cities in the world in terms of the curency playing its value to the consumer services and products.

South Korea is rated as the #8 ranked in terms of the GDP and monetary strength in trades as well as the power of consumer spending.

The cars, Hyundai, electronics of LG, Samsung and Kia brands are all South Korean owners that sells globally.

I was in shock, when I saw my own money disappearing very quickly as I toured South Korea with my own money instead of the company's business fund when I travelled on business years ago.

Koreans who have immigrated recently from South Korea to the US have a lot of money from their life time savings that was marked to have more that the average middle class.

Similarly, there are Europeans, like my brother-in-laws, have money power and are capable of coming to he US to enjoy. On the other hand there are other poeple from European countries who come here to make money, like my assistants from Poland and Ukrania, because the money wasn't easy to earn.

The Korean-Americans are very American in the US. Many are doctors, investment bankers and lawyers who have overcame the difficulties of race and cultural differences.

Many do strive to reach out but hey for the Korean-Americans, it's just been ine generation over and marking into the second generation of Korean-ancestry-Americans.

Every Americans, excluding the Native-American-Indian, are all dashes!
I.e., Italian-American, Irish-American, Polish-American, African-American, Japanese-American.... No one is 100% American other than the Native-American-Indians.

Stop generalizing anyone where they are from or not. Once, a person loves living in America and adapts to the American culture, the person becomes naturally American bred.

Who says "White'Americans" are the owners of this land? We all earned it!

Whoever generalizes black, red, blue, white or green, must be failing within himself/herself and need to look at themselves through the mirror of who you are inside and not outside.

It is a shame to see when one sees nothing through the eyes God has provided.

Last edited by luck7; 08-04-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,090 times
Ok I will put in my honest 2cents

I may know you threadstarter

I grew up in Fort Lee and that area before all those koreans moved in

When I was growing up, they were just starting to come in

I never thought they would take over the place

I hate the fact that they have because it was great the way the place was so why change it

I did not get along with a lot of them

I found lots of them to be overtly nationalistic, racist, xenophobic to a fault, and it will never make sense to me because it is not like Korea was ever a great power of some sorts

However I have also had lots of korean friends whom some of my most cherished memories are about

It really is kind of weird

I would like to say another thing though

Korean Girls are very hawt, probably the hottest in all of asia along with philipinas, so I guess it makes everything Ay Okay

Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
I am not at all racist, and I know that race conversations are often heated or taboo in our society - which really only lead to more misunderstanding and problems... silence is not golden.

And I NEVER like to generalize and say "ALL Koreans, all whites, all blacks..." etc... because blanket statements like that are foolish.

In my very urban HS we had all races and I loved that, I had some very good Korean friends and I cherish those memories.

But in recent years my experiences with some members of the Koreans in the Bergen county area have not been positive. It is that seperatist, xenophobic attitude that causes the problem... you hit the nail on the head.

Some of it is cultural, I beleive, too... I onece had a Korean sales clerk who I loved and had seen ever week or so for years tell me, in front of several customers, loudly... "WHY YOU GET SO FAT! YOU USED TO BE PRETTY, NOW YOU FAT!" LOL I was PREGNANT and MORTIFIED. LOL so it doesn't make you walk away feeling all warm and fuzzy.... but I would NEVER say that's representative of all Koreans.

I think a lot of people resent that Koreans don't "blend" in as much as "take over" some areas. BUT they are recent immigrants... and usually blending in takes a generation or two, it's not uncommon with other groups that immigrate to the US.

So I think Koreans, like all others, are individuals and should be judged accordingly... but since you asked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey