Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,411,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
....always speed up and "close the gap" when you signal to change into their lane? I'm a CT resident and I actually really enjoy NJ. I was down at the shore this weekend, and I noticed this super-rude behavior everywhere on the GSP. I'm not the kind of guy who signals for .1ms and then swerves into the next lane--I signal, wait a few seconds, and then move over. What I noticed was that tons of drivers in NJ will, when they see you signal, immediately speed up to prevent you from changing lanes. Very annoying when you're trying to reach an exit lane!

Sorry, this is more of a rant than anything. Do you do this? Do you know others who do this? What the heck is the point, other than being 1 car length ahead in traffic?

This happens in every state.

You have to remember that the space between you and the car in front of you is your space and it's up to you if you allow others to infringe upon your space.

I don't tailgate so there is always plenty of space for another car but that does not mean I left that space open for some jerk to pull into and then I have to backup to maintain my space.

If you want to pull in front of me put on your signal for more than a millisecond and then I will decide if I want to let you in.

There is plenty of room on the highways, just don't be infringing on my space.

BTW if you have to be in the proper lane for an exit don't wait for the last second to get in the correct lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM

337 posts, read 1,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
This happens in every state.

You have to remember that the space between you and the car in front of you is your space and it's up to you if you allow others to infringe upon your space.

I don't tailgate so there is always plenty of space for another car but that does not mean I left that space open for some jerk to pull into and then I have to backup to maintain my space.

If you want to pull in front of me put on your signal for more than a millisecond and then I will decide if I want to let you in.

There is plenty of room on the highways, just don't be infringing on my space.

BTW if you have to be in the proper lane for an exit don't wait for the last second to get in the correct lane.
I always considered it being polite to let someone in ahead of you as long as there is space and they signal properly. I don't think of it as being "my space", if the following distances stay safe. What I noticed on the Parkway was many people who will quickly accelerate so that they're basically tailgating the car ahead, in order to prevent me from getting in. I think it's just a basic competitive human nature thing. Maybe NJ is just a lot more crowded than CT so the drivers are more competitive as well.

Also, in CT (and NJ to an extent too), the exits/toll lanes/local-express dividers can be unpredictable. I always stay in the middle travel lane until the actual sign becomes visible.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
....always speed up and "close the gap" when you signal to change into their lane? I'm a CT resident and I actually really enjoy NJ. I was down at the shore this weekend, and I noticed this super-rude behavior everywhere on the GSP. I'm not the kind of guy who signals for .1ms and then swerves into the next lane--I signal, wait a few seconds, and then move over. What I noticed was that tons of drivers in NJ will, when they see you signal, immediately speed up to prevent you from changing lanes. Very annoying when you're trying to reach an exit lane!

Sorry, this is more of a rant than anything. Do you do this? Do you know others who do this? What the heck is the point, other than being 1 car length ahead in traffic?
you sure its an nj driver thing? i often find that when i change lanes the person who i go in front of speeds up or then goes further left and speeds up. they like to make it as if you have inconviences them and they would be going soooo much faster without you doing that. its bs, most of the time they end up falling behind because they are sissys.

but i guess on the other end i see a lot of people who enter the right line and then feel like they must move left immediately because it offends them to be in the right line. its fine enough when they are accelerating appropriately but when they are sissies its annoying. if you are a right lane driver, just stay in the right lane.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM

51 posts, read 130,553 times
I probably have been guilty of this.

I find that because I leave an appropriate amount of space between myself and the car in front of me, that seems to be an invite for everyone and their mother to try to cut in. I usually start out allowing it, but it gets old pretty quick - especially when the car trying to get in is a massive SUV who I would not be able to see around/over

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmm1978 View Post

I find that because I leave an appropriate amount of space between myself and the car in front of me, that seems to be an invite for everyone and their mother to try to cut in. I usually start out allowing it, but it gets old pretty quick - especially when the car trying to get in is a massive SUV who I would not be able to see around/over
I agree with this. If you aren't tailgating the car in front of you it can be an open invitation to being cut off.

Its like when the car behind you (that is tailgating you) cuts around you just to get one car length ahead. And then they are staring at the back of the same car you were.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,740,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmm1978 View Post

This. I always try to leave a good amount of space between me and the car in front in case something happens. However, many people treat that as an invitation to get in that lane. You deal with it for a little while, but then it gets annoying and you close the gap a little and keep the other folks out. This is really only annoying in heavy traffic, which of course we have a lot of.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM

97 posts, read 311,287 times
If I see a CT, NY or PA plates trying to get in front of me, I always speed up to prevent that. I know once they are in font of me, they will slow down and barely pass anyone on the right. Then you are stuck behind them for miles.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM

337 posts, read 1,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz77 View Post
If I see a CT, NY or PA plates trying to get in front of me, I always speed up to prevent that. I know once they are in font of me, they will slow down and barely pass anyone on the right. Then you are stuck behind them for miles.
Maybe I should start swerving into all NJ drivers' lanes without signaling from now on?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM

532 posts, read 1,466,579 times
Why is it that almost all NJ drivers must tailgate.
I have slowed down and watched tailgaters just go crazy...never ever realizing they are arrogantly tailgating.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM

859 posts, read 2,995,695 times
Because we can,...only kidding. It is anoying and unsafe to say the least. We're always in such a hurry. I must say that if you really wnt to see some crazy driving, try the DC area, and then you'll think NJ drivers are sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey