Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times

Advertisements

Your comments: Census results show N.J. Shore town populations are shrinking | NJ.com

I was surprised to read the communities near beach and shore are shrinking in NJ. What do you think is contributing factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 AM

219 posts, read 541,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Your comments: Census results show N.J. Shore town populations are shrinking | NJ.com

I was surprised to read the communities near beach and shore are shrinking in NJ. What do you think is contributing factors?
I think it is the building of houses on any available spot or re-building on two or more lots to accommodate larger (year round homes). The home being built are no longer cookie cutter little bungalows. Instead they tend to be quite large, carrying a hefty price tag. Most families with kids can't afford that, nor the rent (if available) in the summer to cover the mortgage. This also drives the prices up of the already established homes there, making the bungalow cost as much as a mansion inland.

As mentioned I also think the larger homes are taking up more lot space, or larger lots to accommodate them, more house, less neighbors. Then there is the problem of beach access. Bigger homes along the beach may hinder beach access. Then there are the taxes, big difference a few thousand feet away from the shore line. Again many with larger families (more than h/w) find it difficult to justify huge housing costs for the homes closer to the shoreline.

NJ is expensive to begin with, the Jersey shore can be outrageous.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Makes perfect sense to me. All the rich people are buying up the houses, but they don't want to live there all year long.

I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm done with the Jersey shore for vacation even. We're going this year again (we rent for two weeks), the rent is ok, but overall it ends up being too expensive for what you get. Lots of other places to go.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. All the rich people are buying up the houses, but they don't want to live there all year long.

I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm done with the Jersey shore for vacation even. We're going this year again (we rent for two weeks), the rent is ok, but overall it ends up being too expensive for what you get. Lots of other places to go.
We spent many summers at the shore, but it became too expensive and you couldn't always depend on the weather. I remember being there for two weeks with five kids and it rained every day. With the increase cost of rents, beach badges, and expensive activities for the kids, other places are a lot more desirable.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Lack of Transit to NYC or Urban Jersey , the Buses and Rail are maxed out thanks to the state bending to the NIMBYS on the MOM network even though the network wouldn't cost that much and serve 120-150,000 daily. Schools probably are also to blame , they tend to be less down there then in Northern Jersey.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
IMO it is several factors, but housing prices (and property taxes) are a major reason. Here in OC, it was the type of town where kids who grew up here would go off to college and then come back to live, but how can they do that when a 2 bedroom home is $400,000, and that's not even a single family home most of the time? Then you have the older people, who bought homes here 50 years ago and are "house rich" but lack the cash to pay $25,000 property taxes on a home that's worth a ton more than what they paid for it. There also aren't many well-paying jobs down here. Another factor is that it is so much more crowded in the summers than it was even 10-15 years ago - friends I have who moved off the island say they just couldn't take the stress the summer brings anymore.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:28 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

hmm I wonder well SLOW TRAINS!!!! Terrible transit access and other areas with similar amenities with better transit access like in LI and outer NYC parts CT

Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Lack of Transit to NYC or Urban Jersey , the Buses and Rail are maxed out thanks to the state bending to the NIMBYS on the MOM network even though the network wouldn't cost that much and serve 120-150,000 daily. Schools probably are also to blame , they tend to be less down there then in Northern Jersey.
THANK YOU finally ya spoken like a real genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UR COMMENT= EPIC WIN The rail and bus network there fails Is it me or am I the only one who sees the oceanride bus system AS A FAILURE!!!!! look at this http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/Transportation//PDFs//Transportation//LBI-N-S.pdf (broken link) I really hope I am not the only one here who thinks transit in the shore needs a RADICAL FACELIFT!!!!!! the NJT 800 series routes are useless as they dont go anywhere NJT needs to know the shore area only supports REGIONAL bus routes local buses except 832 WILL FAIL BADLY!!!!! That and the MOM the MOM will even support additional transit modes. Nexis give me ur reaction to the link what do ya think

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post

A few years ago someone wrote a letter to the editor to the Philadelphia Inquirer showing that a week trip to Hawaii could be the same price as a week trip to the Jersey Shore. I think he stretched things a bit, but not that much.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
THANK YOU finally ya spoken like a real genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UR COMMENT= EPIC WIN The rail and bus network there fails Is it me or am I the only one who sees the oceanride bus system AS A FAILURE!!!!! look at this http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/Transportation//PDFs//Transportation//LBI-N-S.pdf (broken link) I really hope I am not the only one here who thinks transit in the shore needs a RADICAL FACELIFT!!!!!! the NJT 800 series routes are useless as they dont go anywhere NJT needs to know the shore area only supports REGIONAL bus routes local buses except 832 WILL FAIL BADLY!!!!! That and the MOM the MOM will even support additional transit modes. Nexis give me ur reaction to the link what do ya think
Erm , well the MOM network trumps anything needed for Buses , and will cause the current bus system to see more usage. But this network needs to be up by the end of the decade along with several others or else those regions will start to crack under the growing population. But the Demand for Buses isn't really at North Jersey levels and forcing ppl by giving them the bus only option isn't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey