Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,483 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My girlfriend and I are fresh out of college and just started working at almost the same exact time, just blocks away from Port Authority. We're currently staying with family while saving enough to put some money down to buy a cheap condo/apartment, but would ideally like to be out of here by the end of the year.

Our budget is around $110,000 for a tiny apartment (I know the area is pricey). I'm not familiar with the towns in northern NJ, which is why I was hoping for a little advice on where to begin looking. The only requirements we have are:
1) Price (< $110,000)
2) Don't care about school districts - just a safe place with low crime.
3) Public transportation to Port Authority, with no more than an hour commute.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what towns to focus our search in? Also, is it worth looking in New York, outside of the actual city, or will the commute be too long? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

234 posts, read 944,966 times
Default Try Bayonne!

You definitely have to look in Bayonne.

The town is very convenient to NYC by public transportation, and there are some great condo bargains available there. I just went to the realtor.com website, and there are 10 condos listed with an asking price of less than $100,000.

Bayonne is still a pretty decent town, reasonably safe, and the commute to the Port Authority is exactly what you are looking for.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,548,167 times
my guess is that mostly, for that price, you're going to be looking at a place that needs work.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM

262 posts, read 844,903 times
Google for New York Times Rent Buy. There are several articles and an interactive calculator: A Word of Advice During a Housing Slump: Rent - New York Times

Rents are going up and later article mentioned something about rent / monthly payment* (principal, interest, taxes, insurance, other) ratio of about 20 being point where both options seem to make sense, but I personally would still be inclined to rent if your budget is low in such an expensive area. If you can get FHA loan at low rate with only 3.5% down, obviously could create some wealth over time, but it is not a given, and risk of substantial loss is also there.

If you must buy, there is a cheap coop in Nutley very close to Delawanna train stop. Buses to New York stop in area too. One co-op there is listed at about $790000, but monthly fee is something like $483. It's called Arbor Hills. I think there is Regency (?) condo complex up street that is right where bus to NYC stops. Back of complex is right next to New Jersey Turnpike or other highway, though. Gateway at Nutley coop is also there, is nicer than others, but I think my be well above your budget.

* edit: found rent ratio article: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ios-table.html and http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/bu...leonhardt.html

Just remember a house is an illiquid investment with significant transaction costs at purchase and sale plus potential for lots of unforseen and costly repairs. In a more normal, slowly appreciating at 2 - 3% / year market, rule of thumb was have to own house for at least 3 - 5 years just to cover transaction costs (don't know what unexpected and costly repairs new home would need, either).

If you can rent something comparable to what you can buy at your price point, I recommend rent. Pay off high interest credit card debt and at least fund retirement accounts up to what company match your employer may offer.

Last edited by mshan242709; 04-28-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM

357 posts, read 1,032,224 times
You sir are a perfect candidate for a coop in Rutherford. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,483 times
NJexpat, mshan, imoapie: Bayonne and Nutley look AMAZING in terms of price, and according to Google Maps, the commutes are better than I hoped for. So far I've been looking at a map and plugging in random towns into realtor.com without any idea of quality/public transportation access, so I really appreciate it. Thanks guys! btw, does anyone know what Rahway is like?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM

357 posts, read 1,032,224 times
Just make sure you spend some time in the neighborhoods. I did the bus commute from Rutherford and know the town extremely well. Don't know much about Bayonne and Nutley though.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

262 posts, read 844,903 times
Quote:
"The 192 to Port Authority stops outside the complex on Kingsland Rd and down River Road to White Terrace. Delawanna is also within walking distance, about 15 minutes up River Road and Oak St.
Essex Park has a bus stop on Franklin Ave, the 74 & 93H to the Branch Brook Park city subway station." https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...nutley-nj.html
Amazon.com: Home Buying For Dummies, 4th Edition (9780470453650): Eric Tyson, Ray Brown: Books

Amazon.com: Personal Finance For Dummies (9780470506936): Eric Tyson: Books

Amazon.com: Mortgage Ripoffs and Money Savers: An Industry Insider Explains How to Save Thousands on Your Mortgage or Re-Finance (9780470097830): Carolyn Warren: Books

Amazon.com: Homebuyers Beware: Who's Ripping You Off Now?--What You Must Know About the New Rules of Mortgage and Credit (9780137020164): Carolyn Warren: Books

Knowledge is Power!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:39 PM

188 posts, read 417,162 times
If you were interested in New York, have you considered Forest Hills or similar areas (although an older/family area)? Otherwise the areas of NJ already mentioned seem like good choices.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 27,007,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerj66 View Post
NJexpat, mshan, imoapie: Bayonne and Nutley look AMAZING in terms of price, and according to Google Maps, the commutes are better than I hoped for. So far I've been looking at a map and plugging in random towns into realtor.com without any idea of quality/public transportation access, so I really appreciate it. Thanks guys! btw, does anyone know what Rahway is like?
Rahway is your typical burb...it has a few condo developments....and is 40-50 mins form Midtown by train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey