Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,706 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not viewed as a stupid question, but here goes: How are the beaches on Delaware Bay? My map shows a section in Cape May County marked "Moores Beach" which comprises quite a chunk of shoreline along the bay, and a lotof the towns along the bay have beach in their names....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I hope this is not viewed as a stupid question, but here goes: How are the beaches on Delaware Bay? My map shows a section in Cape May County marked "Moores Beach" which comprises quite a chunk of shoreline along the bay, and a lotof the towns along the bay have beach in their names....
I always wondered the same thing, when I lived in Northern NJ. I set out to explore this area, and the best description is these places are more inlets than they are beaches. Natural ocean growth supercedes any kind of sand. What beaches there are on the Delaware Bay side in Cape May County have very small strips. Once you get to Cumberland County, there are no more beaches.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 28,342 times
We are planning to rent a home in Villas, New Jersey on Delaware Street--what is the beach like in this area --sand, can children swim this area--my understanding at low tide the bay is quite far back--thank you Mary Lou

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
There are no longer houses at Moores Beach and the nearby Thompsons Beach. They're both part of a wildlife management area.

There's the small community of Fortescue. I've only been there once. There's a couple of restaurant's an ice cream shop and marinas. They're known for their fishing.

Curled-up fence and dunes, Fortescue Beach, New Jersey on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28426588@N02/2887619496/ - broken link)

Gandy's Beach has a sand bay beach. It's just a group of homes, no stores, shops. Similar is West Bay Point, though they have a small marina. You'd go to Newport to dine or pick up necessities.

These places are not what the average person would think of as a beach vacation, no mini golf, amusement parks or T shirt shops.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,050 times
I took a trip down to Fortescue in the winter. See my blog

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,423 times
Default Unattractive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
These places are not what the average person would think of as a beach vacation, no mini golf, amusement parks or T shirt shops.
Ditto. You don't want the Delaware Bay for a "beach vacation." I have budget-conscious friends who have stayed in low-cost rentals on the peninsula and commuted to the ocean beaches, but the Delaware Bay beaches tend to be unattractive.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Ditto. You don't want the Delaware Bay for a "beach vacation." I have budget-conscious friends who have stayed in low-cost rentals on the peninsula and commuted to the ocean beaches, but the Delaware Bay beaches tend to be unattractive.
Right. I've gone down that way to watch eagles (it's a birders paradise), see horseshoe crabs and monarch butterflies. I've visited the lighthouses and historic farmhouses, seen the Salem oak and NJ's official tall ship - she was at OpSail in Philadelphia! Greenwich is worthy of a visit and Newport is a pretty little town. There are B&B's, country stores, farm markets and some "real" restaurants down there both plain and fancy...but it's not a beach vacation.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
This is kind of related so I didn't want to make a new thread for it:

I'm doing a trip to the shore and wanted to go off the beaten path a little.

Is there anything worth checking out in Salem or Cumberland Counties that hasn't been mentioned? I'll probably drive 49 to 623 to 553 or maybe just 49 to 553.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 PM

You could go and see the little community of Sea Breeze before it falls into the bay.

Sea Breeze, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a list of a few things to see in the area.

Cumberland County, NJ - Attractions

There's a big, fiberglass I believe?, viking outside of a carpet store somewhere on Route 77.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukie View Post
We are planning to rent a home in Villas, New Jersey on Delaware Street--what is the beach like in this area --sand, can children swim this area--my understanding at low tide the bay is quite far back--thank you Mary Lou
The beach in Villas is lovely, very quiet and nice for a stroll and the scenery. However, there is no swimming, I would imagine; there are no lifeguards, and the bay water is murky and filled with lots of horseshoe crabs. A great place to take the dogs for a walk, if you have them, but please keep them on their leashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey