Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,502 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

i'm moving to Princeton for a job for 1-2 years from Hong Kong. Princeton, New Jersey and US are all new things to me. i have loads of questions to my new life. but now 'm hesitating about where to live - which is the biggest for the time being. and frankly looking for an accommodation without any knowing is overwhelming.

having read some reviews and also posts in this forum, West Windsor and Plainsboro are appealing to me. i would like to avoid long commune, i can drive but not so preferred. i like jogging and visiting parks, and am planning to join a lacrosse club for training. i am willing to share an apartment with others but of course definitely want to have my own bedroom. hummm...my budget is about $1000/month max.

welcome to drop me a few lines giving your thoughts about which of the two towns, West Windsor or Plainsboro would suit me?

many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,969,937 times
Either one would be great, but you will need a car to get around and in/out of Princeton. The area is full of canals, rail trails, bike trails and water spots for outdoor exercise and activities. There are back country roads that are serene and then the super highway of Route 1 and Route 95, along with the NJ Turnpike to get you anywhere. The train can get you to Philadelphia or New York in under an hour. Good Luck with your move.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,075,194 times
That is a lovely area. Not sure if it's important to you, but there is a large population of Asians there. It is also regarded as a nice area for families as it has a very good public school system.

Plainsboro has a lot of apartment complexes along Plainsboro Road. That would be a good place to start. Some of these complexes are Hunters Glen, Ravens Crest, Fox Run, Tamarron. These are all large apartment complexes run by companies. If you do a web search, you should be able to find contact information for the management offices.

You can also go to Realtor.com and put in Plainsboro for a rental search and you will find rentals from private condo owners. Same for West Windsor. You'll get an idea of rental prices there too. Try Craigslist for rental shares.

You will need a car for certain. I really can't see anyone living down there without one unless they were a student at Princeton and living on campus. So please count on and budget for a car.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,285,356 times
You should definitely be able to get your own apartment for $1,000 a month in Plainsboro. Nice area and seems to offer what you are looking for. I agree with others though, you really need a car.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,100,088 times
I agree about the need for a car if you rent in Plainsboro. But if you want to avoid the issue of parking in Princeton, if you rent at Quail Ridge or Pheasant Hollow Apts you can catch the 600 bus, transfer to the 605 (at Market Fair) that takes you right into Princeton.
If you rent at Hunters Glen, you can catch the 600 bus to the Princeton Jct train station and get the Dinky (small 2 car train) into Princeton.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

teachbeach, Ann77, manderly6, jerseyj, thanks millions for your comments and information. they are valuable to me. will definitely focus the search within Plainsboro and look at the suggested apts.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM

perhaps this is a silly question to you...but do i need to buy a new phone in NJ? or my google smart phone bought here will be workable in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: