Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 15,635 times

Advertisements

Please help! Moving from sunny California to NJ in the middle of winter, Burr!!!!! No idea on a good area to live. Looking for a safe place to live with parking and in unit washer & dryer as I am too old to be hauling my laundry around. I maybe considering sharing a room in the house, but have lots of kitchen stuff to unpack. I am looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom & am trying to save and pay off tons of bills. Budget is between 900 - $1400...The lower the better. Not sure that I can drive in the snow, so I was thinking of sticking close to work, but maybe open to renting along the shores too.

Please share your opinion on location, safety, good food, living areas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaboat17 View Post
Please help! Moving from sunny California to NJ in the middle of winter, Burr!!!!! No idea on a good area to live. Looking for a safe place to live with parking and in unit washer & dryer as I am too old to be hauling my laundry around. I maybe considering sharing a room in the house, but have lots of kitchen stuff to unpack. I am looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom & am trying to save and pay off tons of bills. Budget is between 900 - $1400...The lower the better. Not sure that I can drive in the snow, so I was thinking of sticking close to work, but maybe open to renting along the shores too.

Don't rent in the borough, I drove through there recently, parts of it are starting to look like Paterson. It was really OK for a long time, but it has had a huge turnover over the last few years, knew some people born and raised there, said it is getting bad.

In the township, which completely surrounds the borough, it's mostly suburban and strip-mally. There are a few apartment complexes there, one called Avalon which is a tad pricey, but I know nothing else about it.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM

24 posts, read 144,475 times
Default Any and everything you need to know...

Hello! I lived in the Freehold area from six months until I was around twenty, I know the area VERY well and can answer any question you have. If you would like, you can contact me directly with specific questions. For the sake of this post, however, I will give you some general information.
First, I have to disagree with the other post here regarding the safety of Freehold Borough-it is NOTHING at all like Paterson! The crime in the area is generally very low, mostly property crimes. The Borough went through a rough patch in the early 90s after the opening of Freehold Raceway Mall, which detracted from the businesses along Main Street. In the last ten years or so those once empty storefronts are now full, and a portion of Main was redeveloped to accomadate more businesses. There are several resteraunts lined up at the center of town which provide outdoor seating in the warmer weather that are very popular. No, it is not as lively nor "exciting" as a city, but it has its charm.
Freehold Borough has recently seen a large influx of immigrants from Mexico and Central America (and, to a lesser degree, South America). The Borough has always had its immigrant population, providing labor for the area farms. Most of these farms have been bought by real estate developers causing a swell in population. Because of this much more obvious immigrant population, some area residents falsely believe the town is turning into a crime ridden "ghetto", however crime statistics show that the crime rate is still very low. Here is a link displaying the crime in Freehold Borough: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
By comparison, Freehold Township, the area surrounding the Borough, is virturally violent crime free. The crime statistics for Freehold Twp are here: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
This is a very suburban area with many developments along side roads, with Route 9 being the primary highway serving the public. Route 33, which runs through the Borough, travels East-West and is one of the many ways to travel to the shore. It used to take us as teenagers about twenty minutes to drive to the shore (of course, this was usually at night when traffic was light and I'm sure we weren't exactly traveling the speed limit!). NJ Transit has several bus routes that run along 9 and through Freehold Borough if you are uncomfortable driving in the snow, although most winters aren't too bad. Generally snow doesn't start to stick until January, with February and March being the worst months. Typically we will receive only a few inches of snow during one storm, with the exception of the occasional "Nor'easter", usually hitting in March, which could drop over a foot in one storm.
The areas I would avoid moving to, for one reason or another (not always because they are dangerous) are Lakewood, some shore towns (because there are so many, each with different characteristics, it would be too much information for me to get into here), and Old Bridge Twp (it isn't all bad, but it is a large area with many sections-some good, some bad). Surrounding towns, or townships, similiar to Freehold Twp to consider are Howell, Jackson, Manalapan (NOT pronounced "man-a-lap-an" like NY newscasters tend to say it!), Marlboro, Wall and, a bit further away, Middletown, Holmdel, Hazlet, Lincroft, Shrewsbury, and Red Bank. Any of these areas certainly would have a place that meets your needs within your budget (I'm glad to see you are realistic with your budget, as the nicer places tend to be over $1000/month for a one bedroom).

Again, if you have anymore questions, or questions about anyplace in particular, let me know. I literally have walked every street in Freehold and have driven on just about every road in the county. Although I no longer live in the Freehold area (my wife and I now live a bit north, in Somerset County), I still travel to the area regularly. I went to school in both Freehold and Freehold Twp, worked in Freehold until late last year, and my sister lives nearby (I even bought my car in Freehold and take it there for maintenence!). We are currently planning to move out of state as well, so I completely understand the importance of speaking to residents regarding the area you are planning to live. I have done my best to be honest and avoid any bias, one way or the other. As far as Shore towns are concerned, as they vary from multi million dollar properties to lower working class, if there is a specific town you are considering let me know.

I hope I was able to provide some help for you! Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 AM

Thank you for the info! I will be visiting Freehold in the middle of January to make a final decision to move there. In the meantime, I will be going on a family vacation. I am wondering if I should stick to staying in Freehold Twp or nearby township or go towards the water... I am thinking that if I spend around $1000 - 1200 per month, why not be by the water, right? My concern is the drive to work especially during winter. I have never driven in snow or ice and people probably wouldn't appreciate me driving on the road.
Would it be possible to contact you again when I come back in January?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 144,475 times
Sure, no problem-I am most familiar with the towns in Monmouth County, but I know a bit about the surrounding counties as well if you were to expand your search. If you are considering shore towns, keep in mind that many are primarily accesable through backroads. Middletown, for example, is an excellent township with many nice neighborhoods, extremely low crime, and good schools. But to get from Middletown to Freehold would take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on where you are. Also, I don't know if this is a factor for you, but many of these "towns" do not actually have a town center (with a downtown area, that is). Many are townships with essentially the same setup-route 9 as the main highway, old (yet well maintained) typically county roads branching off of 9 with entrences to developments off of these side roads. Many strip malls and shopping centers on 9 and the side roads. Very typical of the area from Howell up 9 to Old Bridge.
Along the shore, there are two main highways-routes 35 and 36. Route 35 is the preferred highway, judging from the amount of cars that take it and the continuous shopping centers on either side. Route 36, closer to the water, is a bit more run down in terms of the businesses you'll find there (particularly in the off season from labor day to memorial day). 35 runs north-south through the county, while 36 starts as a spur of 35 near Keyport heading south to Sandy Hook and directly along the shore through several nice towns (36 can be confusing, as part of it runs north-south and a portion runs east-west). The homes on 36 south of Sandy Hook are simply amazing (particularly around Sea Bright-this was the setting for the fictional beach house on "The Sopronos").
Sometimes it helps to have a map of the area open in a seperate window so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about! Google Maps
I apologize for the length of this post! I just want to provide as much information as possible based on decades of experience to help assist in your decision! (Also, I have spent many summer days as a child with my mother as she worked as a Realtor in Manalapan, just north of Freehold, when my sisters and I were too young to be left alone and outside care was unavailable!)
Enjoy your trip, and feel free to contact me anytime for more information! I am happy to help!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionforLamb View Post
Sure, no problem-I am most familiar with the towns in Monmouth County, but I know a bit about the surrounding counties as well if you were to expand your search. If you are considering shore towns, keep in mind that many are primarily accesable through backroads. Middletown, for example, is an excellent township with many nice neighborhoods, extremely low crime, and good schools. But to get from Middletown to Freehold would take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on where you are. Also, I don't know if this is a factor for you, but many of these "towns" do not actually have a town center (with a downtown area, that is). Many are townships with essentially the same setup-route 9 as the main highway, old (yet well maintained) typically county roads branching off of 9 with entrences to developments off of these side roads. Many strip malls and shopping centers on 9 and the side roads. Very typical of the area from Howell up 9 to Old Bridge.
Along the shore, there are two main highways-routes 35 and 36. Route 35 is the preferred highway, judging from the amount of cars that take it and the continuous shopping centers on either side. Route 36, closer to the water, is a bit more run down in terms of the businesses you'll find there (particularly in the off season from labor day to memorial day). 35 runs north-south through the county, while 36 starts as a spur of 35 near Keyport heading south to Sandy Hook and directly along the shore through several nice towns (36 can be confusing, as part of it runs north-south and a portion runs east-west). The homes on 36 south of Sandy Hook are simply amazing (particularly around Sea Bright-this was the setting for the fictional beach house on "The Sopronos").
Sometimes it helps to have a map of the area open in a seperate window so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about! Google Maps
I apologize for the length of this post! I just want to provide as much information as possible based on decades of experience to help assist in your decision! (Also, I have spent many summer days as a child with my mother as she worked as a Realtor in Manalapan, just north of Freehold, when my sisters and I were too young to be left alone and outside care was unavailable!)
Enjoy your trip, and feel free to contact me anytime for more information! I am happy to help!
Hello, I am back and more confused than ever! I saw a 1 bed/1 bath in Plainsboro for about $850 with a very nice floorplan on Hunters Glen apartments. Although I am hesitant since it is about 20 miles away from Freehold where I will be working (snow/ice driving is really scaring me!). Also, I am not sure how this area is. Would you be able to shed some light? Any ideas on Tinton Falls? How about Andrews Corners in Lakewood~~ brand new complex in lakewood.... Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
I wouldn't recommend Lakewood. Plainsboro is OK, but the commute isn't great. A 20 miles trip will end up taking you 45 mins. Tinton Falls is a nice area. Close to a lot. Easier commute to Freehold. You will more options there. You couldn't find a rental in Freehold Township?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
where do you plan on working so I can make up a nice commute option for ya

Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
You can also check into Raintree in Freehold which is right behind the Foodtown near the CentraState Hospital on 537.

Good Luck!

~Joey

Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaboat17 View Post

Charles doesnt usually know what the F he's talking about. listen to the advice of others please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey