Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yes but I've never known anybody that brought their own refrigerator into a rental property...
I had to do so in several of the places I leased over the years. It's not as unusual as you'd think. One place I even had to supply my own stove--there were NO appliances included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 AM

572 posts, read 2,023,116 times
I have lived in a lot of apartments before buyinh my first home last year, and I never had to supply a refrigerator...or any other applicances for that matter. I would turn around and not even look at the rest of the unit or home to be rented if it was my responsibility to supply the appliances.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I had to do so in several of the places I leased over the years. It's not as unusual as you'd think. One place I even had to supply my own stove--there were NO appliances included.
Well if you had to then you had to I guess...although as JCK just said I probably wouldn't want to rent somewhere where I had to supply everything if I could find a comparable place where I didn't have to supply everything.

But how many people are actually looking at apartments and say "oh yeah I already have my own refrigerator"?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM

633 posts, read 1,951,421 times
FIqbal and anybody else who rented an apartment without a stove, I can not imagine any town in NJ were a minimum of a stove is not code and I know for sure in Old Bridge it is required.

Now FIqbal no hot water, toilet and everything else. You rented a garage or a basement. What ever it was it was not a legal apartment and I would bet you knew that

There is nothing free in life, you get what you pay for. You enabled this type of landlord, what did you expect?

This is were everybody thinks all landlord stink. You compromised yourself and you compromised all of us tenants and LL's.

I'm not wild about having to get a COO each time I re-rent but it does set standards.

Renters if you don't like something or place tell the owner and walk away.

And LL just work with in the law, it's way to risky to be vulnerable to a ball busting tenant or judge.

I just went 2.5 months empty and will probably go 3 but I would rather loose the income now under my control then someone else's.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,555 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. My landlord by the way never gave me anything in writing stating where my deposit was held the account info or bank name or anything.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 131,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
FIqbal and anybody else who rented an apartment without a stove, I can not imagine any town in NJ were a minimum of a stove is not code and I know for sure in Old Bridge it is required.

Now FIqbal no hot water, toilet and everything else. You rented a garage or a basement. What ever it was it was not a legal apartment and I would bet you knew that

There is nothing free in life, you get what you pay for. You enabled this type of landlord, what did you expect?

This is were everybody thinks all landlord stink. You compromised yourself and you compromised all of us tenants and LL's.

I'm not wild about having to get a COO each time I re-rent but it does set standards.

Renters if you don't like something or place tell the owner and walk away.

And LL just work with in the law, it's way to risky to be vulnerable to a ball busting tenant or judge.

I just went 2.5 months empty and will probably go 3 but I would rather loose the income now under my control then someone else's.
You are making lots of comment without knowing the details of my specific case. I rented a house about a month in advance and the landlord promised to put everything in order. Because we came from Canada and had only one month to find our place we went ahead assuming things will get fixed. Things were easily fixable if the landlord was ready to spend the necessary amount. By the time we realized things were not in order - less than a week before the moving date it was too late and we had no option but to move in. Our stuff that were kept in a warehouse paid for by the company would have costed us a lot if we were to keep at our own expenses. We do not have a family or close friend here where we could stayed and take the landlord to the court. Try renting a place in that circumstanses without telephone, internet and not knowing places around in NJ. I understand you have had issues with tenants, but that does not make it right to make such comments about all. I for one do not think all landlords are bad. Some may not be honest just like some tenants. For the record, my current landlord is an excellent one. Hindsight is always perfect.

Since you know lots about this issue, I would appreciate if you could let me know what are my options in collecting the money if the court rules in my favor.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:05 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramafree View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. My landlord by the way never gave me anything in writing stating where my deposit was held the account info or bank name or anything.
Probably never put it in a bank account. My old landlord did the same thing. He didn't put the money in an account, and when we moved, he didn't return my deposit, which was fair, because I'd used dark-colored paint that he had to paint over and one of the cats had ruined the bedroom carpet. However, he was trying to nickel and dime extra money out of me, by claiming the glass in a window on the back porch was missing (It was missing when we moved in, which we duly noted the first week we moved) and other damage that already existed when we moved in, plus water damage in ceilings from the leaky roof, and that took some nerve since we patched the ceilings and repainted them ourselves. There were wooden counters in the kitchen, and we'd called a few times over the years about the leaky faucet that was soaking the counters and he wouldn't fix it, and then he tried to get me to pay because the counter around the sink was warped. I wrote him a nice letter and sent it certified saying I understood why he would keep the deposit money but that he wasn't going to get any more out of me. I had to buy electric portable heaters in the winter when the furnace didn't work and his maintenance guy didn't return calls for a week, and I lost a lot of books and other items because he neglected to mention when we moved in that the basement gets four inches of water when it rains for a few days. I wouldn't have stored the stuff down there had I known that. This landlord is very wealthy by the way. I couldn't believe he was trying to cheap out like that.

Anyway, never heard another peep out of him. If he had tried to continue with the fake accusations to suck a few extra hundred dollars out of me, I would have taken him to court over it. I would pursue this if I were you. Like my old landlord, he's probably hoping you're just running scared and will come up with the money. People get greedy.

I agree that it's not all landlords. The one I had after that was a sweetheart.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIqbal View Post
You are making lots of comment without knowing the details of my specific case. I rented a house about a month in advance and the landlord promised to put everything in order. Because we came from Canada and had only one month to find our place we went ahead assuming things will get fixed. Things were easily fixable if the landlord was ready to spend the necessary amount. By the time we realized things were not in order - less than a week before the moving date it was too late and we had no option but to move in. Our stuff that were kept in a warehouse paid for by the company would have costed us a lot if we were to keep at our own expenses. We do not have a family or close friend here where we could stayed and take the landlord to the court. Try renting a place in that circumstanses without telephone, internet and not knowing places around in NJ. I understand you have had issues with tenants, but that does not make it right to make such comments about all. I for one do not think all landlords are bad. Some may not be honest just like some tenants. For the record, my current landlord is an excellent one. Hindsight is always perfect.

Since you know lots about this issue, I would appreciate if you could let me know what are my options in collecting the money if the court rules in my favor.

You can either send it to collections, the other option which is the obvious since he has a collectible asset, you can place a lien on the property.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM

505 posts, read 2,336,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You can either send it to collections, the other option which is the obvious since he has a collectible asset, you can place a lien on the property.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to attempt to collect said debt first, then file for judgement and then attach a lien to said property?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to attempt to collect said debt first, then file for judgement and then attach a lien to said property?

Yes, typically the period is 90-120 days before you can move forward with a judgement. The poster will need to send certified letters monthly to show at attempt to collect. I gave one of my landlords 4 months after repeated certified letters before moving forward with the Judgement. It wasn't difficult to get my money after that fact considering she was going through refinancing at the time, this was about 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey