Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They only make between 50-65k , thats less then some other agencies and companies. Cops in the Suburbs should not make more then the Urban ones who do more.
The median salary of an NJT worker is in that range? I am surprised, I thought it was lower.

I agree with you about the urban vs suburban police, but I think I am probably in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 12:03 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,407 times
I work in IT and I know of plenty jobs that's on call 24/7 just in my industry sector alone. So that claim is laughable. I should also mention that working off hour for my industry is not paid because these jobs are salary based.

What you get in my industry for being on call 24/7 is to keep your job and maybe a comp day if u do need to work through off hours. Please note that just like police officers these jobs have scheduled hours and working off hours to do what they need to do. Except we don't get paid for working off hours.

Here are the jobs to be specific. Please note this is off top of my head so if I really tried I can make this list very long.
- Network engineers
- Developers
- QA Testers
- Sys Admins
- Project Manager

I'm not saying officer job is so great but do nothing so let's **** on them. I appreciate the services officers provide, crap they need to take from both civilians and gov't administrators. What I am saying please do not try to justify how difficult or demanding it is to be police officers to defend the salaries officers are being paid.

Bottom-line is officers in suburbs are paid very well while risk is there it is not great as of officers in urban environments. Is that so hard to admit?

Edit: As for salaries, if I match experience and skill required for jobs I listed for IT. Salaries for them will be similar to officers...except certs and skills required to make that kind of salary range in IT will be pretty demanding.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Well sounds like a lot of sour grapes out there....start filling out your applications unless you're too old..like I said when I need police I don't want grandpa showing up

Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I work in IT and I know of plenty jobs that's on call 24/7 just in my industry sector alone. So that claim is laughable. I should also mention that working off hour for my industry is not paid because these jobs are salary based.

What you get in my industry for being on call 24/7 is to keep your job and maybe a comp day if u do need to work through off hours. Please note that just like police officers these jobs have scheduled hours and working off hours to do what they need to do. Except we don't get paid for working off hours.

Here are the jobs to be specific. Please note this is off top of my head so if I really tried I can make this list very long.
- Network engineers
- Developers
- QA Testers
- Sys Admins
- Project Manager

I'm not saying officer job is so great but do nothing so let's **** on them. I appreciate the services officers provide, crap they need to take from both civilians and gov't administrators. What I am saying please do not try to justify how difficult or demanding it is to be police officers to defend the salaries officers are being paid.

Bottom-line is officers in suburbs are paid very well while risk is there it is not great as of officers in urban environments. Is that so hard to admit?

Edit: As for salaries, if I match experience and skill required for jobs I listed for IT. Salaries for them will be similar to officers...except certs and skills required to make that kind of salary range in IT will be pretty demanding.
yes, memorizing a test king exam is really demanding. come on, i'm in IT too, you come across as having this huge weight on your shoulders. IT in general is a pretty good gig with good pay if you can get it. don't be disingenious. plus, going in you knew you (generic you) had to be on call 24/7. don't play victim.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
yes, memorizing a test king exam is really demanding. come on, i'm in IT too, you come across as having this huge weight on your shoulders. IT in general is a pretty good gig with good pay if you can get it. don't be disingenious. plus, going in you knew you (generic you) had to be on call 24/7. don't play victim.
I recall memorizing the answers to the CompTia A+ exam before I took it at Sylvan about 12 years ago. It really is a joke.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I don't know what made you say I play the victim or came off huge weight on shoulder or disingenious? Nothing in my post pointed or even hinted at anything like that. I clarified how it is in our industry so bradykp if he doesn't know what its like in IT to get an idea. Don't misinterpert my post, I know our field demands 24/7 call. What I can't stand is posters like bradykp playing cards like oh 24/7 support blah blah name other jobs that do blah blah

I love working in IT and kindred souls I meet in this field. You kno geek thing.

Edit: And no I'm not talking about easy certs that everyone has to get their foot through the door. Just about every damn skill sector now has a cert everyone has and more tougher one. it's like taking NYPD police exam to get in to academy and then taking sergeants exam blah blah.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
I'm not one to pooh-pooh on what cops make, but just like every other public employee they will most likely be asked to make sacrifices in the face of declining municipal revenue. The difference here is that the police union actually tends to be reasonable and I think the cops would vote a salary freeze to preserve jobs and maybe even take a cut if it would mean everyone got to keep their job. So, while I don't begrudge them what they make (some are definetily overpaid, but that's not their fault) they shouldn't be immune to cut backs. Same with teachers, I never once complained they made too much, just think they should have been willing to share in the sacrifice.

Also, when it comes to overtime, the vast majority of OT pay that the officers receive come from other funds. When they are working at a constuction site, they are being paid from the budget for the project, not the municipal budget. Most of their OT comes from the town comes from covering for sick and vacationing people and working town events.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM

327 posts, read 881,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I don't know what made you say I play the victim or came off huge weight on shoulder or disingenious? Nothing in my post pointed or even hinted at anything like that. I clarified how it is in our industry so bradykp if he doesn't know what its like in IT to get an idea.

I love working in IT and kindred souls I meet in this field. You kno geek thing.

What I can't stand is posters like bradykp playing cards like oh 24/7 support blah blah name other jobs blah blah
don't sweat it, i'm sure they have public employees within their families so they try to chastise anyone who makes any valid point, via ad hominem, attacking you personally to side-step the actual point raised, simply because they can't address the point intelligently and resort to vague strawman remarks like "lot of sour grapes"..

yes 'sour grapes' who pay the highest property taxes in the country.. how dare such sour grapes question how THEIR money is used especially when excessive cop/administrative salaries, benefits, COLA pensions, and vacation/sick packages are derived from these very people. oh sweet irony.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
don't sweat it, i'm sure they have public employees within their families so they try to chastise anyone who makes any valid point, via ad hominem, attacking you personally to side-step the actual point raised, simply because they can't address the point intelligently and resort to vague strawman remarks like "lot of sour grapes"..

yes 'sour grapes' who pay the highest property taxes in the country.. how dare such sour grapes question how THEIR money is used especially when excessive cop/administrative salaries, benefits, COLA pensions, and vacation/sick packages are derived from these very people. oh sweet irony.
passive aggressive much?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 PM

327 posts, read 881,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
So, while I don't begrudge them what they make (some are definetily overpaid, but that's not their fault) they shouldn't be immune to cut backs. Same with teachers, I never once complained they made too much, just think they should have been willing to share in the sacrifice.
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Also, when it comes to overtime, the vast majority of OT pay that the officers receive come from other funds. When they are working at a constuction site, they are being paid from the budget for the project, not the municipal budget.
doesn't matter, funds are still ultimately derived from the taxpayer..and when their pensions go up to take OT into account, those pensions are still derived from the taxpayer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey