Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Try this:

New Jersey Apartments for Rent, NJ Apartments and Condos

Also--I know people have reservations about using craigslist, but that's how I found my last apartment. I put out MY own ad for apartment wanted. I was searching to buy a condo in a different county about sixty miles from where I was living and I wanted to get out of where I was because of an alkie roommate whom I kept finding passed out naked in the living room and who didn't pay her share of the bills because all the money went for vodka.

I put out an ad on craigslist that said two-bedroom apartment wanted on a month-to-month basis while I search for a place to buy, and I have cats and I am willing to pay $1400. I got three responses directly from landlords and took one of the apartments. The landlord was willing to rent out his place while he moved upstairs for the winter to renovate that apartment. I lived there for nine months until I found and moved into my new place.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 AM

194 posts, read 623,479 times
MQ, thanks for that excellent idea! I will definitely do what you suggest (i.e., put my own ad on CL). There's nothing to lose and, as in your case, it could engender a positive result.

And let's hope your alkie ex-roommate has gotten the help she needs.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM

UPDATE:

OK, so now HR tells me that I should be prepared to work in both Paramus and Lyndhurst - so I'm thinking in need to shift things geographically a bit? Maybe?

Just glancing at Google Maps, Fair Lawn looks doable in terms of both commutes. But now I'm looking at all the cities/towns/boroughs between the two points - New Milford, Rochelle Park, Elmwood Park, River Edge, Maywood, Lodi (can't help hearing that song, "Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again" - sorry), Habrouck Heights, Saddle River and, of course, Hackensack - and wondering if any of them are reasonable locales in which to search?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:57 AM

[quote=dirimini;15427476]MQ, thanks for that excellent idea! I will definitely do what you suggest (i.e., put my own ad on CL). There's nothing to lose and, as in your case, it could engender a positive result.

And let's hope your alkie ex-roommate has gotten the help she needs.[/quote]

She goes to rehab two or three times a year. It's sad. There was a time when she was sober for about 7 years. Had a good job, her own apartment, a car. Then one day she decided she COULD have just one drink like everybody else...that was about five years ago, and she's been going through the revolving door ever since. She's on disability now--she's had scores of withdrawal seizures that damaged her ability to concentrate as well as other brain function.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Oh dear. That's far sadder than I had imagined. How horrible.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirimini View Post
Oh dear. That's far sadder than I had imagined. How horrible.
Yes, and sadly all too common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey