Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 AM

531 posts, read 2,903,092 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are support groups in NJ for help in dealing with a family member suffering from depression? Similar to Al-Anon? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,762,720 times
I know how devestating this can be not only to the person with depression but to the entire family. It's a roller coaster of sadness, frustration, anger and a desire to help.

There is a place called comprehensive behavioral healthcare, I believe it's a chain, I know there is one in Lyndhurst but there maybe others in NJ, they do support groups for family members of someone with depression. Also if your family member is going to therapy call the dr.'s office and ask them if they have any resources available, they usually do as this effects everyone who is close to the depressed person.

best of luck hope your family member recovers soon!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM

46 posts, read 166,691 times
This website has a list of support groups by county.

DBSA NJ - Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, New Jersey - Home

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,081,367 times
NAMI NJ has offices in many NJ counties.
NAMI NEW JERSEY - The State's Voice on Mental Illness

Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM

531 posts, read 2,903,092 times
Thanks everyone, very helpful...

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 PM

76 posts, read 243,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
NAMI NJ has offices in many NJ counties.
NAMI NEW JERSEY - The State's Voice on Mental Illness
In my experience, NAMI is worthless. They are supposed to be advocates for the mentally ill, but do nothing practical to help them at either a personal or public advocacy level. For example, they've done nothing about fighting involuntary commitment and discrimination. What's worse, they and a lot of local clinics will almost automatically send you to an emergency department at a local hospital, where they'll charge you a fortune and give you no help. It happened to a family member of mine.

Several independent investigations, including a Congressional investigation, found:
"The supposed experts responsible for these "diagnoses" are usually biased in favor of commitment because of their personal economic concerns or their affiliation with the psychiatric "hospital" or ward where the "patient" is or will be confined. Psychiatric "hospitals", like all businesses, need customers. In the case of psychiatric "hospitals" [or wards], they need patients. They not only want patients, they need them to stay in business. ..Keeping all those psychiatric beds filled is critical, and administrators are aggressively ensuring that they will be. Some facilities even resort to paying employees and others bonuses of $500 to $1,000 per referral. An administrator at a psychiatric "hospital" told me competition between psychiatric hospitals is "cut throat". Combine this intense competition with America's poorly written involuntary commitment laws and judges who refuse to impose protection from unwarranted commitment that bona-fide due process requires, and the result is a lot of people being deprived of liberty and suffering psychiatric stigma unjustifiably."

Unjustified Psychiatric Commitment
Ill-Treated - Reason Magazine
Campaign For Liberty — Involuntary Psychiatric Commitment - A Crack In The Door Of Constitutional Freedoms
Involuntary Commitment
Citizens Commission on Human Rights, CCHR: Take Action, Get Involved in The Fight For Human Rights.

It's quite difficult to find a good psychiatrist or support group. A couple of resources are:
NJAMHA
New Jersey Resources

There ARE a number of independently run support groups and resources depending on your area; there's one in Clifton and one that meets in the basement of a church in Montclair, for example. My experience is that your personal physician is one of the best places to start. There are a couple of organizations like SERV, which has branches throughout the state and has both therapists and psychiatrists. And they charge based on your income. It was only $20 a visit for one person I know. The only problem is that they have a waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey