Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times

Advertisements

The high school is ranked 290 out of 315 in the state. 1/2 the town is not safe at all (08109 is much safer than 08110). Don't know what they person above is talking about, but they are both Camden County.

I was born and raised in 'Sauken (that should be proof enough). Was mugged there in 1976 and again in 1978. Had my car broken into in 1984.

Was at the HS when they had the drub bust on "the patio", and in 1988, NO ONE in the graduating class broke 1200 in their SAT's.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
you aught to live in Philly. getting mugged is a yearly thing and getting your car broke into happens quarterly.. come one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
The high school is ranked 290 out of 315 in the state. 1/2 the town is not safe at all (08109 is much safer than 08110). Don't know what they person above is talking about, but they are both Camden County.

I was born and raised in 'Sauken (that should be proof enough). Was mugged there in 1976 and again in 1978. Had my car broken into in 1984.

Was at the HS when they had the drub bust on "the patio", and in 1988, NO ONE in the graduating class broke 1200 in their SAT's.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
Like I said in the other thread.. check out Palmyra

Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post

I grew up in Pennsauken and was in the second graduating class through the high school in 1965......Pennsauken was a nice town back then but has went downhill since and will continue to spiral downhill with the deterioration of the neighborhoods through Western Pennsauken and along the Route 130 corridor.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
True enough... A good friend lives in Pennsauken and works for the township. He lives in one of the better neighborhoods and hasn't been mugged, house hasn't been robbed, car has never been vandalized. I recently asked about his Mom in Delaware Gardens. How was the neighborhood, how was she doing? He sleeps at her house many nights because her neighborhood is deteriorating. With all of the older, long time residents, it was really OK until last year. It's not OK any more. She keeps her nasty, old, biting dog (and I mean he will bite anybody but her) and sleeps well enough at night.

Like I've said, the husband and I hung at Lena's for years. He's played pool all over the area and I've often accompanied him. I usually bailed on the Camden nights... didn't want to press my luck.

End of the day, you can live in Pennsaken, but I wouldn't move there with kids.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
With all of the older, long time residents, it was really OK until last year. It's not OK any more. She keeps her nasty, old, biting dog (and I mean he will bite anybody but her) and sleeps well enough at night.
Well what extreme thing happened in the past year? Did a bunch of old people suddenly die all at once?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
I had friends who lived in Pennsauken (east of Route 130) for 5 years. They never had any problems. Some really nice houses over there.

I think if you're on the Merchantville side it's the sort of situation where for high school you probably send your kids to Camden Catholic (which is right down the street).

Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Well what extreme thing happened in the past year? Did a bunch of old people suddenly die all at once?
He's a guy; he's not that chatty. I remember asking about his Mom and the neighborhood around the beginning of March last year and his comments were neutral to optimistic - she's OK; she lives on a good street, that sort of thing. I sent email recently, wanted to be sure that I was on target with responses on this board. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something like: things aren't that great, it's gone down hill, it's not really that safe, that sort of thing.

If this year it's not good and last year it was OK, I guess, know that the garbage has been closing in for some time but was always bypassing her little area.

Yeah, I guess some old people died or went to the nursing home and a couple of others went to live with a kid because they could no longer care for themselves. When a house goes up for sale in that neighborhood, you know that some doctor or lawyer isn't going to snap it up. You do hope that it's a decent person who's found a way to get his/her foot in the door of the pricey Camden County real estate market, fix the place up a bit, flip it, move to Merchantville, flip... onward and upward. It's not going to happen in that area in this economy.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I remember being at Pennsauken High School about ten years ago for something my sister had to do, it's located in the middle of an industrial park. Last summer I was in this rundown rehearsal room with my old band in an old warehouse in New Brunswick and I said it reminded me of Pennsauken HS.

In all seriousness though, I think the general rule for that area is to stay to the right of Rt 130. I went to that Wawa up on 73 near that industrial park recently, had my back turned for two seconds and someone stole my water bottle. I pull out in my car and the brakes were screeching, makes me wonder if someone got under there and messed around with them when I was in the store. Not to sound racist but I was the only white guy there and they all kinda had there eyes on me as though I was "in the wrong neighborhood."

So that was my Pennsauken experience, judging that it's right next to Camden it's not hard to see the direction it's headed in, and many people have told me since then that it will be the next Irvington in say 15-20 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I don't believe that for a second. sorry. Cause I know better. Pennsauken HS is older but in very nice shape.. That wawa is nothing like you write. Camden is in the next county, its not that close. Its also been rock solid for 50 years..

Pennsauken High School, Pennsauken, NJ
I find that hard to believe too. That Wawa is right on the highway and gets clientele from all over the place, maybe your car just needed a tune up and that was when you began to notice. And comparing Pennsauken to Irvington? You must be on something. Have you ever even been to Irvington? Chester, PA is something I can see being compared to Irvington. We all know Pennsauken has really gone downhill a lot over the past 30-40 years because it borders Camden pretty head on (and they ARE the same county), but it is nothing like that.

I might just head down there today, I've been having a craving for The Pub for some time.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
Yeah. People really go over the top with the pennsauken stories. I mean it's no way like moorestown but to compare it to Irvington or camden is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia