Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,646 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about relocating to the Philadelphia suburbs. Cherry Hill, NJ seems like a nice place to live. Why does it seem like the houses there are less expensive than the ones in the Main Line suburbs? It seems like you can get more house for less money, and have pretty easy commute into Center City. Is there something about the Cherry Hill area that makes it more affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,186 times
Cherry Hill is a nice area. The property taxes in NJ are quite high though.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:14 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,201 times
I live in Cherry Hill and it is a great area. Great schools, tons of shopping and restaurants, the best library I have ever stepped foot into and it's extremely convenient as far as location and access to Philadelphia. The downside is the property taxes. My husband and I pay $8000/year - I know some pay lower and some pay higher in our area. Check with your realtor about the homes you interested in to see what the property taxes are. They usually don't list them on real estate sites for obvious reasons.

Other than the property taxes, the only other negative is the traffic. It's a very popular area and therefore lots of traffic! But you need to commute to Philly, you can take the PATCO Highspeedline - there are several stations convenient to CH and you can zip over to Center City in about 15 minutes.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
You should ask the same question in the NJ section. Also do a search there, there's a lot of posts about Cherry Hill

Old 06-19-2008, 04:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
It has nothing to do with Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill ranks up there near the top when it comes to suburbs. It is more a "Main Line" thing. The main line is traditionally a high status, old money area and houses there get a premium for that reason only. Think Kathren Hepburn in the "Philadelphia Story". Tracy Lord represented the perception of the main line lifestyle. People pay extra to live there for no other reason.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,038 times
Agree with Bryson but we're comparing apples to oranges here. CH is quintessential suburban sprawl; the Main Line is anything but.

The ML is like a lower density urban neighborhood, and it's full of colleges and universities, and little towns which for the most part are very nice but not very walkable. It's also full of expensive private schools, country clubs, etc. The ML was built in part by the Pennsylvania Railroad for their executives.

CH is full of shopping centers, highways, office complexes, and developments, also very nice.

Both have pretty good access to CC via rail, but for driving I would say CH is much better situated to downtown.

A better comparison to CH might be King of Prussia, which is also largely suburban sprawl. For the record, KOP's housing stock is older, and driving down 202 from Norristown to the mall is almost like driving through a time warp, whereas driving through CH, even while sitting in traffic, always seems much more pleasant and aesthetically-pleasing than KOP.

Last edited by BPP1999; 06-20-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 PM

162 posts, read 683,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Agree with Bryson but we're comparing apples to oranges here. CH is quintessential suburban sprawl; the Main Line is anything but.

The ML is like a lower density urban neighborhood, and it's full of colleges and universities, and little towns which for the most part are very nice but not very walkable. It's also full of expensive private schools, country clubs, etc. The ML was built in part by the Pennsylvania Railroad for their executives.

CH is full of shopping centers, highways, office complexes, and developments, also very nice.

Both have pretty good access to CC via rail, but for driving I would say CH is much better situated to downtown.

A better comparison to CH might be King of Prussia, which is also largely suburban sprawl. For the record, KOP's housing stock is older, and driving down 202 from Norristown to the mall is almost like driving through a time warp, whereas driving through CH, even while sitting in traffic, always seems much more pleasant and aesthetically-pleasing than KOP.
Very well put, I went to school on the main line and worked in Cherry Hill after I graduated and K of P would be in comparison to CH rather than the main line.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 16,135 times
I just moved to Cherry Hill. I used to live in NYC. I am trying to decide between Cherry Hill (East) and Voorhees. Does anyone know which schools are better and what some of the advantages/disadvantages to each area are. Things that I am concerned with are schools and young developments. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 PM

40 posts, read 229,304 times
I live in Haddon Heights and I just hop on the PATCO every day in Haddonfield to go to work...it literally takes me 2 minutes to drive to the PATCO station and then 15 minutes to get to center city while I sip my morning cup of java and read the Metro!! I can't believe how much I like it now, b/c I am from NC and I have never used public transportation before and I really enjoy it!

I would say that the bad sides to South Jersey (cherry hill, haddonfield, haddon heights, voorhees) are traffic and higher property taxes...that's about it though...the schools are great and it's such an easy commute, but you also have the great community/neighborhood life. Cherry Hill is very large, so I would think there are many different areas there to live...Haddon Heights is, I think, 1 square mile total...so not much choice and everyone goes to the same school - which are great by the way..

Old 08-07-2008, 07:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,952 times
The Cherry Hill area is suburban sprawl at its worst. I went to the mall at Christmas and was appalled at the mall itself, the crowds and the cheesy way people dressed - more trashy flash than classy upscale if you know what I mean.

I would take SE and Central PA over most parts of Jersey any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia