Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,181 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning to buy a home in Mt. Laurel, NJ and our budget is up to $350,000. Our kid is going to 1st grade in September 2019. Please give me some suggestions on Schools and community. I have gone through websites like greatschools and niche for school rating, but I am confused. The home we are looking at comes under Hillside Elementary School (which is under Mt. Laurel school district). Please provide your thoughts about this school and the community. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 07:58 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,946,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavkashyap View Post
Hi,

We are planning to buy a home in Mt. Laurel, NJ and our budget is up to $350,000. Our kid is going to 1st grade in September 2019. Please give me some suggestions on Schools and community. I have gone through websites like greatschools and niche for school rating, but I am confused. The home we are looking at comes under Hillside Elementary School (which is under Mt. Laurel school district). Please provide your thoughts about this school and the community. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Mount Laurel Schools - Attendance Boundaries

Start with this site. What are you confused about? The pre-k to 4th grades are the elementary schools that sends all their 5th and 6th grader to a single upper elementary school. 7th and 8th grader are consider middle school. These kids are then send to the Lenape school districts supporting 8 municipalities.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 10,181 times
Thanks for the response. I am confused about the school ratings. Can you please tell me how is Hillside elementary school. Is it good school in this area. Thanks!!

Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 AM

66 posts, read 349,887 times
Default Known for good schools

Mount Laurel has a good reputation for schools. Don't know how rankings go, but my son went through all the levels of school here and received a good education. Elementary schools are pretty much the same throughout the area and all do a great job. After that the kids are consolidated into one of the two junior high schools. Hillside would go to Harrington, which I thought was a very good school. Then everyone goes to Lenape H.S. It's a little ways away and a very large H.S. but the entire Lenape district has a very good reputation. I think you get what you put into it. As I said, it's a large school, so it's easy for a student to get lost in the system if you're not keeping up with them and making sure they're getting the right classes and doing the appropriate work. Lots of different cliques there also , so of course they have all the problems that a big school has, but a higher percentage of parents take a much more active role here than some other area schools.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,946,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerkd1 View Post
Mount Laurel has a good reputation for schools. Don't know how rankings go, but my son went through all the levels of school here and received a good education. Elementary schools are pretty much the same throughout the area and all do a great job. After that the kids are consolidated into one of the two junior high schools. Hillside would go to Harrington, which I thought was a very good school. Then everyone goes to Lenape H.S. It's a little ways away and a very large H.S. but the entire Lenape district has a very good reputation. I think you get what you put into it. As I said, it's a large school, so it's easy for a student to get lost in the system if you're not keeping up with them and making sure they're getting the right classes and doing the appropriate work. Lots of different cliques there also , so of course they have all the problems that a big school has, but a higher percentage of parents take a much more active role here than some other area schools.
In the 15 years I've been in Mt. Laurel, the bold text above is not the case. All the elementary school sends their kids to Hartford for 5th and 6th grade. They go to Harrington for 7th and 8th grade. Each graduating classes are in the same school starting 5th grade.

This is from my experience with Mt Laurel school district and the Lenape school district. Because it is big, they are able to provide exceptional support for the top and bottom kids. The other 60% of the kids may just get lost into the system. I think this is typical of all big school district.

I agree that all the elementary school are very similar but there is a slight different in the social makeup depending on the school because of their location. I believe Springville is the newest of the elementary school.

One note I like to add is that they are building quite a bit a new homes in a a new development and Mt Laurel property taxes have been lower than the surrounding area. This may not be the case in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia