Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM

37 posts, read 78,777 times

Advertisements

Same side as the Shop Rite, next to Mexican Food Factory. They've been working on the site, I knew something was going there but today was surprised when I saw the familiar ALDI sign. I always thought of ALDI as kind of ghetto, like a check-cashing place or pawn shop. Am I totally off on my perception, or are they on a re-branding crusade, or what? It feels out of place, but it's possible they've changed and I'm just behind the curve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,601 times
The plaza owner is also re-doing the façade of the Staples, which is long overdue.

Aldi goes in many areas. There is an Aldi in Mt.Laurel off 38 as well, with similar demographics. So, I wasn't too surprised.

I'd think a freestanding Aldi in Echelon/Voorhees would make sense as well, if the former Genuardi's was demolished, and Dunkin moved from it's site to the vacant KFC/Taco Bell site or something. The likelihood of Giant-PA, Weis or some new out of town but traditional grocer that just wants to assume the Genuardi's space, is likely less than 1% at this point, so the plaza owner should be really looking into redeveloping the space.

I'm curious when the G-Boys site and Olga's Diner site will be demolished for something new. They seem like good sites for redevelopment, even though the Olga's site requires one to drive around a loop in order to get to it.

Some of the vacant retail sites off 70 in CH between Ellisburg and Springdale Road aren't as great sites because of the difficulty of getting on 70E when traveling 70W and vice versa. Like that vacated Big John's sub shop likely won't be refilled anytime soon.

Last edited by avg12; 04-20-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCalifornia View Post
Same side as the Shop Rite, next to Mexican Food Factory. They've been working on the site, I knew something was going there but today was surprised when I saw the familiar ALDI sign. I always thought of ALDI as kind of ghetto, like a check-cashing place or pawn shop. Am I totally off on my perception, or are they on a re-branding crusade, or what? It feels out of place, but it's possible they've changed and I'm just behind the curve.
Aldi is great. The reason prices are lower there is because you are not paying for advertising as most of the products are from a private company, but the quality is up to par with what you would get at your usual large chain supermarket. It is not the best place for things like produce, but for generic things like cereal, milk, eggs, cheese, cold cuts, soup and other canned goods and frozen foods it is a pretty damn good deal for the most part.

I think Save A Lot and Bottom Dollar Food are way more ghetto than Aldi. I know Evesham already has a Bottom Dollar Food off North Maple Ave.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Aldi goes in many areas. There is an Aldi in Mt.Laurel off 38 as well, with similar demographics. So, I wasn't too surprised.
That's Maple Shade, which while not bad is very blue collar and certainly not as nice as Cherry Hill, Mt. Laurel or Evesham. I agree too that an Aldi would do well in the Echelon/Ashland area of Voorhees, maybe in the new town center (Old Echelon Mall).

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
That's Maple Shade, which while not bad is very blue collar and certainly not as nice as Cherry Hill, Mt. Laurel or Evesham. I agree too that an Aldi would do well in the Echelon/Ashland area of Voorhees, maybe in the new town center (Old Echelon Mall).
The Maple Shade store was the 1st Aldi in the area. The Mt Laurel store is much newer & larger than Maple Shade. When the Maple Shade store opened they only carried packaged & frozen food, not the refrigerated stuff. It opened in '93 or '94.

Aldi is a great place. If you shop at Aldi & Produce Junction you can finish the rest in a regular store & slash your grocery bill.

FYI, in states that allow beer & wine in grocery stores, Aldi sells them, too.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Good point about the Voorhees Town Center. After the Wal-Mart plan for redevelopment was canned, the town center plan originally called for a supermarket (where instead an office building went up). I think PREIT had ShopRite in mind, but Ravitz/ShopRite acquired the Evesham Rd. Stop&Shop site on the border of CH/Voorhees within a short period. A freestanding pharmacy was also planned for the mall, but I suppose CVS and Walgreens passed.

Aldi would be a great fit there.

Even the main food court area lot doesn't fill up on the weekends and has ample space, and an Aldi could be developed there. No demolition costs so it's be easier than the revedelopment of the Genuardis or Ballys space on White Horse Rd.

The apartment dwellers and other locals would shop there. The only choices are Acme (likely overpriced), ShopRite (a bit further), the food selection at Target, and the super Walmart in Somerdale. Some of these are fine but none are convenient and right sized enough to be nearby.

Last edited by avg12; 04-20-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 01:45 PM

The only thing about Aldi is it isn't a place to go in and buy 3 or 4 things.

It's usually 1-2 people behind the register and the shoppers (typically smart ones that have budgeted and calculated the savings of buying from there over a regular store) buying 20-30 items. Aldi even designs the store that you have to walk through one full aisle, back up another before you can get to a register.

--

I'd wish it's related chain Trader Joes opened a second store in So. NJ. I still think the former Bally Fitness site in Maple Shade next to Lowe's Hardware between the CH and Moorestown Mall drive on 38 would be a great spot. A lot of people from Philly/Collingswood etc. do the weekend shopping thing primarily on 38 between the CH Mall and Costco, and there are the daily commuters driving back on 38E to Mt. Laurel from Philly. The Marlton store on 73 serves a different traffic pattern and area.

It'd definitely help that center, and the former Sports Authority store would quickly fill up, or something else would get redeveloped there as well, perhaps a drive thru Walgreens, selling items the Trader Joes doesn't sell.

Last edited by avg12; 04-20-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
The only thing about Aldi is it isn't a place to go in and buy 3 or 4 things.

It's usually 1-2 people behind the register and the shoppers (typically smart ones that have budgeted and calculated the savings of buying from there over a regular store) buying 20-30 items. Aldi even designs the store that you have to walk through one full aisle, back up another before you can get to a register....
Where do you get this information from?

They don't need a lot of people behind the registers; they don't bag the groceries. That saves a lot of time.

One full aisle at Aldi is less than half the size of an aisle of most bigger food stores; what stores don't have full aisles? I don't get it. Can you post a link please? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Where do you get this information from?

They don't need a lot of people behind the registers; they don't bag the groceries. That saves a lot of time.

One full aisle at Aldi is less than half the size of an aisle of most bigger food stores; what stores don't have full aisles? I don't get it. Can you post a link please? Thanks.
I get this information from personal experience. Make sense? They have fewer employees per store than a Wawa does, even an old traditional one.

I visited the Aldi by the Patco station/Ferry Avenue, which had one employee and a security guard. And another experience in Norristown, PA where I felt it wasn't worth it wait 10 minutes in line (in not busy time around 6pm), to pick up a couple of items.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
I get this information from personal experience. Make sense? They have fewer employees per store than a Wawa does, even an old traditional one.

I visited the Aldi by the Patco station/Ferry Avenue, which had one employee and a security guard. And another experience in Norristown, PA where I felt it wasn't worth it wait 10 minutes in line (in not busy time around 6pm), to pick up a couple of items.
It makes sense to you. Your experience doesn't make it the same for all Aldi stores. I've been to three Aldi stores and 6 pm is the busy time. You didn't answer my other question; what stores don't have full aisles? You complain that Aldi makes you walk through one full aisle, back up another before you can get to a register....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia