Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times

Advertisements

It looks like Wal-Mart is waiting approval to go ahead with a 91,000 sq. ft. store in Mt.Laurel:

Mount Laurel OKs fitness center; Walmart awaits approval | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

Back in 2005, a developer was interested in a site at Route 38 and Masonville-Fostertown Road for a larger plaza to host a Wal-Mart SuperCenter and a Sam's Club, but the developer's plans were rejected.

Now, the Lifetime Fitness and Wal-Mart will be going at an already very busy area of Route 73.

Another site I was thinking of was the Oskar Huber/Planet Fitness site in Cherry Hill which once hosted Clover and Acme, and is greatly underused. Couldn't Wal-Mart pay off the leases of Planet Fitness and the few other tenants in that shopping center for a Sam's Club? I'm not sure if Wal-Mart is aggressive anymore with Sam's Club expansion and likely not, but it'd be an ideal spot since Sam's Club only location for the area is in Delran and Deptford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 AM

82 posts, read 82,710 times
Yikes. I work in that area and the traffic at Fellowship Rd. and 73 is already horrible. I can't image how bad it's going to be when this is built.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Yeah.. that's my way home everyday. Don't need more traffic there. There is a Walmart on Rt70 in Marlton already. Why do we need another one?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Yeah.. that's my way home everyday. Don't need more traffic there. There is a Walmart on Rt70 in Marlton already. Why do we need another one?
That's what I was thinking. Hell, lets rip out the last clump of trees in that section and smack down a couple of big boxes surrounded by a black sea of parking.

I wish the Berlin store, the ghetto WalMart, would clean up.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I suppose Wal-Mart figures the Marlton store will continue to serve Cherry Hill east, Marlton, Medford and part of Voorhees, while a Mt.Laurel store will serve some of Mt. Laurel, Moorestown, Maple Shade and any destination traffic that goes to Mooerstown Mall or hotel visitors.

I have a feeling that a Walmart there will wind up being downscale unlike the Marlton location, and mostly supported by apartment dwellers from Maple Shade, and Motel 6 guests who need shampoo, etc as some motels like that don't provide it. Mt laurel is big but I think Centerton and stores on 38 are more accessible.

East Gate Square has two or three vacancies near Ross that have been vacant for awhile. While not suitable for a Walmart even if consolidated, those spots will have it harder getting filled with Walmart opening in 73 at Fellowship.

Last edited by avg12; 07-06-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
Get over it. Walmart is a ghetto store. Sure they try to fix them up and redo them every once in a while, but the clientele will always be the lower end of the spectrum becuase that is the type of customer base that they cater to.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
I wouldn't consider the Marlton store "upscale". My wife took our two boys to the store a few years ago while they were still young. While putting the kids in their seats, someone took her entire shopping cart from the rear. Walmart refused to do anything claiming that it's outside their store. Heck, they wouldn't even call the police for her to file a case. They said she had to do it.

As HubCityMadMan.. Walmart is what it is.. no matter where it is.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Well, this is a capitalistic, free market country. They should be allowed to open a store if they so desire. The fact is, there is plenty of clientele for Wal Mart in the area. They seem to be doing fine with their new stores. Go check out the parking lot at your local WalMart on a Saturday afternoon. I myself tend to avoid them unless it's late at night and everything else is closed.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
It looks like Wal-Mart is waiting approval to go ahead with a 91,000 sq. ft. store in Mt.Laurel:

Mount Laurel OKs fitness center; Walmart awaits approval | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

Back in 2005, a developer was interested in a site at Route 38 and Masonville-Fostertown Road for a larger plaza to host a Wal-Mart SuperCenter and a Sam's Club, but the developer's plans were rejected.

Now, the Lifetime Fitness and Wal-Mart will be going at an already very busy area of Route 73.

Another site I was thinking of was the Oskar Huber/Planet Fitness site in Cherry Hill which once hosted Clover and Acme, and is greatly underused. Couldn't Wal-Mart pay off the leases of Planet Fitness and the few other tenants in that shopping center for a Sam's Club? I'm not sure if Wal-Mart is aggressive anymore with Sam's Club expansion and likely not, but it'd be an ideal spot since Sam's Club only location for the area is in Delran and Deptford.
All things considered that area needs some redevleopment, so I am in favor of the proposal. I was not in favor of the proposal of the Walmart near Fostertown Rd. You want traffic? Go over to Garden State. I'm guessing many of the residential units are not even sold or rented yet - don't know for sure.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 07-09-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
All things considered that area needs some redevleopment, so I am in favor of the proposal. I was not in favor of the proposal of the Walmart near Fostertown Rd. You want traffic? Go over to Garden State. I'm guessing many of the residential units are not even sold or rented yet - don't know for sure.
When you say "You want traffic? Go over to Garden State", do you mean by Haddonfield Rd by the Garden State Park shopping centers? Haddonfield Rd at that area isn't frequented by as many motoristsand doesn't serve as much for commuting access as does Rt.73 by Fellowship. The 70 side of Garden State heading towards Ben Franklin Br. has many lanes by the Garden state shopping centers. The highway traffic backups tend to happen around the Erlton area (where it's down to 2 lanes, the road is bumpy and the traffic lights are closer together), than by the former Garden State racetrack area of 70.

On the other hand, 73 by Fellowship has inflow from the NJ Turnpike (that 70 lacks), I-295 right there, Route 38 intersection (where many come/go to Ben Franklin), Kings Highway not too far, and 73 itself is the access to Betsy Ross/Tacony (NE Philly), Route 130 for NJ towns in that corridor, and southbound to the 70/73 intersection and further down provides access to Atlantic County.

Anyways as for Wal-Mart, I think that if the Fellowship site turned to Wal-Mart, it might hurt the Marlton Wal-Mart store moreso than being get enough new customer pull, as in residents living in Mt.Laurel or Moorestown, which is likely the desired communities to serve moreso than Maple Shade.

The Fellowship site would be very close to the eastern side of Cherry Hill, esp. the Lakeview and Points of Woods subdivisions, as well as the bordering area in Marlton, who aren't far from the Marlton store.

As a point of reference, it is 6.1 driving miles from Larchmont to the Bob Evans in Fellowship. From Larchmont to the Lumberton Wal-Mart, it is 6.4 miles straight on Route 38, 0.3 miles more but in less traffic.
The Burlington store is up 295 and is 6.6 miles, 0.5 miles more but still easier to reach.

Wal-Mart won't be achieving anything under 5 miles of distance for a lot of Moorestown and Mt.Laurel with this store, who'd stick to Centerton (Target, Wegmans, Costco), the three ShopRites, Aldi, the Kmart across Moorestown Mall, all the stores in Moorestown Mall, East Gate Sq., Centerton Sq. all which are closer and/or more convenient, with less traffic.

This site would be convenient for Maple Shade, but I can't think of that catchment as large enough, and Maple Shade residents might be supporting the Cherry Hill store anyways.

Last edited by avg12; 07-13-2012 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia