Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times

Advertisements

soug, the entire basis of my "comparison" is lost on you. I feel you are misunderstanding my point. I am not saying that I expect South Jersey to provide the types of amenities and facilities that are available in Fairfax, VA. Obviously it is a very different place that has its own pluses and minuses.

My point is that with property taxes that are 2 to 3 times higher, the government services provided here should be much better than they are.

We should be paying LESS in property tax here for the type of subpar services we receive from the government. Instead, we pay through the nose and get mediocre libraries, schools, roads, etc.

In no way are my comments an attempt to disparage New Jersey. It is to disparage the system of government that allows and encourages wasteful spending.

The entire concept of "people are willing to pay the cost to live in NJ" is ridiculous. This is not some sort of supply/demand issue with consumer goods. This is government appropriating people's money. Cost fluctuation due to supply/demand issues would be reflected in the price of real estate. Taxes are legislatively imposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Where in NC did you live? I'm in the Charlotte area and although the taxes are low, I wouldn't say the government services are any better than NJ (and I lived in Gloucester Twp). I thought the Voorhees library was pretty good...I saw bigger libraries in people's houses than the one in the first town I lived in in NC.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Wake County has really great services. I don't know as much about Mecklenburg County, having spent little time down there. Don't get me wrong... Voorhees library is decent. But one would expect with every homeowner paying these high property taxes, we'd get something a little nicer. The money just goes down a pit.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Wake County has really great services. I don't know as much about Mecklenburg County, having spent little time down there. Don't get me wrong... Voorhees library is decent. But one would expect with every homeowner paying these high property taxes, we'd get something a little nicer. The money just goes down a pit.
For the umpteenth time, your taxes are high because of the Abbott Districts. Sorry your township is charging you for mulch, but they are not raking in tons of money, in spite of your property taxes. Look at the breakdown that you receive annually.

My current town (also in the Charlotte area) uses the mulch from the collected yard waste & doesn't have extra.

Cherry Hill gives away mulch to residents.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
soug, the entire basis of my "comparison" is lost on you. I feel you are misunderstanding my point. I am not saying that I expect South Jersey to provide the types of amenities and facilities that are available in Fairfax, VA.
But this is exactly what it sounds like you are saying, and I'm pretty sure most other people think that is what you are saying as well. You do make some good points, so maybe you should just rephrase them.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Just because you made bad decisions on location and living beyond your means, does not mean others will do the same and dislike Jersey.. Coming from pa, NJ is a better state to live in in our opinion. Thats why we came here.. We could have chose any Philly burb and we chose NJ. It was a sound decision.. Don't know about YOU services but ours is stellar in every respect... Again you did not do your homework..

Quote:
F

Those of you who are telling me to leave NJ.... One step ahead of you, buddy! The reason I complain about NJ on this forum? To warn those who are considering moving to this state! That's kind of the whole purpose of these city data forums, you know.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM

402 posts, read 751,912 times
Everytime I moved from Jersey I came right back. I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia