Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 12,649 times

Advertisements

Hello South Jersey friends,

First, thanks to all the contributors on here. Reading your helpful advice, thoughts and comments has been very helpful.

We are researching a move from Chicago to South Jersey and could use a little help. We are looking for top academic high schools that have a very strong performing arts program (plays, musicals, choir, accapela groups, etc.). My performer kid is a 6th grader now, so good 6th, 7th and 8th grade opportunities in the area would be a plus. I searched for a dedicated performing arts HS, but the only school I found was in Camden for Camden residents only.

Any thoughts on this HS list?
Haddonfield Memorial
Cherry Hill East
Kingsway Regional

I'll be working in Camden and would like to keep the commute under 45 minutes. Am I on track with the following general impressions? Haddonfield seems to offer the highest rated HS and most convenient commute offset by the most expensive housing costs. Kingsway has the longest commute, least shopping, but lowest housing costs. Cherry Hill seems to be in the middle. I'm a little worried about radon comments in East Cherry Hill and the traffic.

We'll be renting a 4 bedroom house and have a budget of around $2,500 per month. We could stretch it a little more, but would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
I know nothing about performing arts, but I knew a couple people that went to GCIT for performing arts (which part of the school is dedicated to), but its overall academics would not be on par with a Haddonfield or Cherry Hill East. I would venture a guess that they would at least have decent performing arts programs there though.

The people I knew were also a part of Mainstage Center for the Arts (high school+)/Summer Stage (up to high school) - ( Mainstage Center for the Arts : Mainstage Center for the Arts ). It is based at Camden County College in Blackwood which wouldn't be a bad drive from Haddonfield or Cherry Hill but would be a bit further from the Swedesboro area. There are probably other programs in Haddonfield and Cherry Hill though - a quick google search turns up a place called the Haddonfield Plays and Players ( Haddonfield Plays and Players - Community theater in Haddonfield NJ, Philadelphia area )

Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Voorhees Middle School and Eastern High School in Voorhees have strong drama programs. I remember that Eastern always did very well in the state forensics competitions and so on. Both schools have large performing arts centers. VMS usually hosts a lot of dance competitions (interestingly, it was recently featured on the show "Dance Moms" - Please do not ask why I know this). Eastern gives the arts a good amount of support, including the musicals, various bands, orchestral groups, and choir groups. Several kids in my year graduated and went on to major in various forms of performing arts, at NYU, Columbia, as well as many smaller schools. Voorhees schools are very good, the community is nice as well, and it seems to fit your requirements.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Haha I think I saw that episode...my GF loves that show, and I thought that looked like Voorhees Middle School (been there for sports), but I got thrown off because they were talking about "being very close to NYC," and there's another Voorhees in North Jersey.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 12,649 times
I think I saw my wife watching that episode. I guess "very close to New York" can be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Yeah I was so confused when she kept saying that haha. There is a Voorhees High School up in Hunterdon County, so whenever I meet someone from North Jersey and they say they know where Voorheees is, I have to be like, "nope sorry, common mistake!"

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfin View Post
Hello South Jersey friends,

First, thanks to all the contributors on here. Reading your helpful advice, thoughts and comments has been very helpful.

We are researching a move from Chicago to South Jersey and could use a little help. We are looking for top academic high schools that have a very strong performing arts program (plays, musicals, choir, accapela groups, etc.). My performer kid is a 6th grader now, so good 6th, 7th and 8th grade opportunities in the area would be a plus. I searched for a dedicated performing arts HS, but the only school I found was in Camden for Camden residents only.

Any thoughts on this HS list?
Haddonfield Memorial
Cherry Hill East
Kingsway Regional

I'll be working in Camden and would like to keep the commute under 45 minutes. Am I on track with the following general impressions? Haddonfield seems to offer the highest rated HS and most convenient commute offset by the most expensive housing costs. Kingsway has the longest commute, least shopping, but lowest housing costs. Cherry Hill seems to be in the middle. I'm a little worried about radon comments in East Cherry Hill and the traffic.

We'll be renting a 4 bedroom house and have a budget of around $2,500 per month. We could stretch it a little more, but would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance everyone!
High school plays are a big thing in the South Jersey high schools. I would suggest that you call the districts & ask questions. Then I would call the University of the Arts in Philadelphia & ask to speak to someone who would have knowledge of the school systems in South Jersey. The University of the Arts

Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
All three high schools you named are good schools and all three have performing arts programs. As to what is the best one specifically for performing arts, that is really up in the air. I can't say that in any of the schools I've been to in the area that there was a strong emphasis on performing arts programs. I would also second adding Voorhees to the list and also give some consideration to Moorestown, which also has a very active theater company in the town.

Best bet is to call the school districts and ask their opinions and see if you can email or speak with some of the performing arts teachers/coordinators to get a feel for their programs. What I will say is that larger schools like Cherry Hill East, Kingsway and Voorhees (as well as the Lenape Regional Schools) are most likely going to offer a much broader array of performing arts than smaller schools like Haddonfield.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
You might want to check out Cherry Hill West. It appears that they have a performing arts program.

Cherry Hill Public Schools

Cherry Hill High School West

Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 340,875 times
BCIT in Medford just started a performing arts program!

BCIT Medford Campus | School of Performing Arts (http://www.bcit.cc/132820122193612777/site/default.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia