Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,875,051 times

Advertisements

Krispy Kreme is pretty awful. If you want good donuts you need to go with Tim Hortons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:44 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
KFC sales have been down for a while and they are starting to close down stores that are redundant in certain areas, with a particular emphasis on stores that have not been updated or well maintained.

KFC Finally Tackles its Big Problem: Too Many Stores | BNET

Basically, they think they are oversaturated in some markets and that a decent portion of their stores have failed to keep up with updates. From what I've seen, it's mainly the KFC only stores that are closing while the KFC/Taco Bell ones are doing fine. FWIW, that KFC in Collingswood was pretty dumpy. That place was around since at least the mid 80's and I swear it hadn't changed one bit over all that time.
I've been trying to remember if that place was a Gino's or if KFC built it. I'm thinking that it was one of the 1st places that KFC built when they came to South Jersey.

For those who don't remember Gino's:

Gino's Hamburgers with Soupy Sales (Magic Act) - YouTube

Gino's Burgers and Chicken | (http://www.ginosgiant.com/ourstory.html - broken link)#

Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,890,321 times
One restaurant South Jersey is missing is the Melting Pot. The closest one is in the city, which isn't bad but still. Granted, it's extremely overpriced and they don't give enough food, but hey if Warrington, PA has one (the one I've been to), we deserve one too.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,875,051 times
I'd rather see a Legal Sea Foods in South Jersey than a Melting Pot.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,822,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've been trying to remember if that place was a Gino's or if KFC built it. I'm thinking that it was one of the 1st places that KFC built when they came to South Jersey.

For those who don't remember Gino's:

Gino's Hamburgers with Soupy Sales (Magic Act) - YouTube

Gino's Burgers and Chicken | (http://www.ginosgiant.com/ourstory.html - broken link)#
I'm pretty sure KFC built the place and they were the only occupant of that building until Krispy Kreme moved in. There used to be an Exxon station next to that site along Haddon Ave. (now an office building) and where the KFC is was just open land and then they built the KFC. I may be mistaken, as all of that was happening in the early-mid 80's and I was pretty young. My dad knew the guy who owned the Exxon and I remember them talking about what was getting built next to the station.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,822,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
One restaurant South Jersey is missing is the Melting Pot. The closest one is in the city, which isn't bad but still. Granted, it's extremely overpriced and they don't give enough food, but hey if Warrington, PA has one (the one I've been to), we deserve one too.
A friend of mine and his wife are managers/part owners of a Melting Pot (one next to KOP Mall) so we have gone there quite a bit, basically because the meal is pretty much comped, lol. They are all franchises, so it basically comes down to someone finding a good location and getting enough people involved to raise the capital to do it. I know they have been approached about a possible place in Cherry Hill, but that was before the economy tanked. Most of the places are owned by several people, so it takes some effort to get one started.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'm pretty sure KFC built the place and they were the only occupant of that building until Krispy Kreme moved in. There used to be an Exxon station next to that site along Haddon Ave. (now an office building) and where the KFC is was just open land and then they built the KFC. I may be mistaken, as all of that was happening in the early-mid 80's and I was pretty young. My dad knew the guy who owned the Exxon and I remember them talking about what was getting built next to the station.
Yeah, that wasn't one of my regular routes to travel at that time & I just remember seeing it about the time that KFC came in.

Gino's had the regional KFC contract & when Marriott bought them out to turn the buildings into Roy Rogers there was a sudden void in the area. KFC was at a disadvantage for locations & that was actually one of the better locations that they found. The former Gino's building on Rt 70 in Cherry Hill was a terrrific location. Roy didn't last long there. Then it was an Arby's until they retreated from the area. I don't know how many chains have gone in there, but since Gino's is trying to come back, someone ought to check that location to see if it's available. That would be fitting.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM

681 posts, read 1,517,017 times
It will be hard to get one (Melting Pot) that close to the one in center city Philly by the convention center.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,705,740 times
I looked into this a few years ago. BIGGEST issue is liquor licenses cost for Melting Pot. Makes the investment to open one in NJ much higher than elsewhere and hence more unlikely it will ever happen.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 AM

681 posts, read 1,517,017 times
I would call Krispy Kreme more of a Haddon Twp store. Collingswood never embraces any national retail. They prefer to fill Haddon Ave with "simple" stores from locals who ultimately file for bankruptcy when no one shops in them BECAUSE Collingswood refuses to pepper the storefronts around them with known draws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia