Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 43,342 times

Advertisements

Does it depend on the street? I never seem to know where to find answers to these questions. Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM

50,882 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Do you mean take in a boarder/roommate, or turn part of your house into a separate apartment?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do you mean take in a boarder/roommate, or turn part of your house into a separate apartment?
Thanks for replying. I am not sure what the definition of "boarder" or "roommate" are....like to give them food as well? If so, my answer would be no.

I would just like to see if it'd be possible to rent out a couple of bedrooms while I live there, mainly to help out with the mortgage payment.

I just don't know what the rules are and can't seem to find it online..

Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yve726 View Post
Thanks for replying. I am not sure what the definition of "boarder" or "roommate" are....like to give them food as well? If so, my answer would be no.

I would just like to see if it'd be possible to rent out a couple of bedrooms while I live there, mainly to help out with the mortgage payment.

I just don't know what the rules are and can't seem to find it online..
I lived in Cherry Hill for many years. I know people who did it, but it was done on a cash basis & the person was referred to as a roommate. Since it was being done on an unofficial basis, the people who I knew of who did it usually did not advertise & rented to someone who they knew.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 AM

50,882 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Yes, you can have roommates anywhere. You can't put a hotplate and a microwave in a bedroom and call it an apartment, but having somewhere share the home is fine.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I lived in Cherry Hill for many years. I know people who did it, but it was done on a cash basis & the person was referred to as a roommate. Since it was being done on an unofficial basis, the people who I knew of who did it usually did not advertise & rented to someone who they knew.
So you can only rent it to people you know? I think that'd be tough because I really don't know many people from this area...

Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yve726 View Post
So you can only rent it to people you know? I think that'd be tough because I really don't know many people from this area...
That's not what I said. But since those people were doing it, short-term, cash, under the table, they only rented to people who they knew. Think about it. If you are renting, for cash, & the stranger doesn't pay, what are you going to do about it? Go to the police? I think not, because then there will be checking to see if you've claimed the income & checking with zoning.

The common practice is that you share the bathroom (unless you have a master bath, the kitchen (including the refrigerator & use of the sink & stove), & the living room & they get a bedroom. The person renting from you is called a boarder or a room mate.

I told you what I knew. Now if you want to do something different, go to the municipal building & ask at the zoning dept. what you're allowed to do, & how you should do it. What I have told you is done frequently.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM

398 posts, read 733,386 times
You can't go to the police for non-payment of rent. You would file an action in civil court to sue for the rent.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM

184 posts, read 370,710 times
FYI...I've seen a few houses for rent in Cherry Hill with a Long & Foster realtor sign on them.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Thank you for everyone's response! I will continue doing some more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia