Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,426,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post

Someone else mentioned that it would be a deterrent to a single buyer or family without kids, but honestly I don't think those particular people would be looking at a 4-bedroom house near a school in the first place.

However, we are definitely thinking about re-sale so I think we have decided not to go with the home.
We're a married couple without kids and bought a 4 bed home in a neighborhood. We are certainly an anomaly in that most (but not all) of our neighbors have or had kids. But, we wanted a yard for a dog and place close to both of our jobs. We're not far from a school (walking distance). We thought potential buyers would see that as a plus when we go to sell - but we crossed homes off the list that were directly across from schools/ or backed up to schools (both for resale purposes and b/c we just didn't want to deal with the kids).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,363,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
The lights issue was one dh and I were talking about last night. It's a big school so I think the chances they may have flood lights for night time sporting events may be high.

Well, being at the back of the school, and I don't believe their are any paths in that area, I don't think it would increase traffic, but noise may definitely be a deterrent.

However, we are definitely thinking about re-sale so I think we have decided not to go with the home.

Thanks for all your input.
If the house backs right up to the school, wouldn't you be able to see if there were lights? From what I remember, it was somewhat rare for middle schools in SJ to have night time sporting events.

Nonetheless, being that close to a school can definitely be a deterrent when thinking about resale, but if so, as a result it should be priced lower than comparable houses that may not be that close to a school. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out simply because you think it will be harder to sell, because it could be a good value compared to other houses of similar size (and when you sell it other buyers may think the same thing, although of course it will only be considered a good value partly because the proximity to the school makes it less desireable to some buyers).

Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 733,826 times
Can I suggest you title your thread more descriptively, so that people know what you are talking about before clicking on it? "Would you buy a house..." is not a good title. A better title would be "Would you buy a house backing to a school."

Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 AM

364 posts, read 1,193,705 times
Northbound, if you hover your mouse over the thread title you can read the rest without actually clicking on it.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM

398 posts, read 733,826 times
Luhts, thanks, I know that, but the thread title should still be written more descriptively, especially when it comes to search results in Google.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,833,558 times
Spend a few minutes on zillow (fwiw) looking at home values surrounding some local schools. Not all that clear conclusion but I tend to think that homes backing to school fields may be at a slight premium to those backing to homes.

Regardless, all things being equal, I'd lean to buying what/where I personally desired rather than being overly concerned over what another stranger may desire 10 years distant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia