Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 8,753 times

Advertisements

I am probably moving to NJ this summer and am really at a loss as to where to look for a place to live (and work). My partner will be working at Dix/McGuire and I will be looking for a job in nonprofit management or in office management/admin asst.

We have lived in urban, suburban, and rural places and prefer more rural areas, so I was leaning toward Burlington County. We will be renting and hoping to spend less than $1500 as we will still have a mortgage to pay on our house in Massachusetts. We also have a 1 year old, so need to be in a safe, kid-friendly area. Any suggestions? From what I've read, I'm thinking Mount Laurel, Medford, or Marlton. What are realistic commute times to Philly (if that's where I find a job) and Dix/McGuire?

Any other words of wisdom? I've read of a few places that flood and also the issue with paying Philly wage taxes. Anything else to think about?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,961,817 times
Mt. Laurel, Medford, and Marlton are all very nice places and the commute to Philly is just about 30 mins or so and it would be about the same to get to base from that area. The problem is the traffic out there. The highways get super conjested. If that doesn't bother you so much than I would say Medford or Evesham would be your most rural choices in that area. The areas directly surrounding the base are pretty rural too...Mansfield, Chesterfield, and Springfield namely. I live in Chesterfield. It takes me roughly 45 minutes to get to Philly and base is only 10 mins from here. The problem you will find in these towns is renting. Rentals are few and far between. There have been some other threads posted in here recently as well with the same questions you have. You might find a lot of the answers you are looking for there too. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,895,468 times
If I had to choose I would pick Medford or medford lakes. Close to both areas. Philly wage tax is only of you live and/ or work in Philly.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,575 times
I rent in a Mount Holly apartment complex and there are TONS of young Dix/McGuire families that happily live around me. Most of my neighbors walk their dogs in uniform and three of my neighbors carpool together for their jobs in Philly - they call themselves the 'army wives' carpool. I work in Old City Philly - it takes 40-45 minutes most days to get to my job, depending on Ben Franklin Bridge traffic (or 95 south traffic if I take the Betsy Ross Bridge). I've found it an easy commute by car, much smoother than dealing with a shorter but more stressful drive. Traffic moves pretty quickly on the NJ side and there's a few different route options to get around busy spots. If you plan to take the train into the city, however, Mount Holly is not close enough to a PATCO station to make it worthwhile.

My boyfriend and I moved here last year from a small Western PA town - we picked Mount Holly because it is quiet and reminded us of home. We pay $1300 for a two bedroom townhouse in a safe complex with friendly neighbors and kids everywhere. We looked at several houses for rent that were lovely for $1200 - $1500. If you're looking to fit in somewhere with other military families, you might consider looking this way just to feel comfortable with your neighbors.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,753 times
Thanks lindainphilly! Do you mind sharing the name of the complex?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,575 times
Of course! Sherwood Village, Morgan Properties Welcome Home – Apartments in Delaware (DE), Indiana (IN), Maryland (MD), Nebraska (NE), New Jersey (NJ), Ohio (OH), Pennsylvania (PA), New York (NY), South Carolina (SC), Virginia (VA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia