Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,450 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm confused and in need of some advice/opinions. I currently rent in NE Philly, in a nice area that is slowly going downhill. My lease is up in five months and I've begun my home search - I'm looking to buy my first home.

I work at a hospital in North Philadelphia and my family lives in Tacony, so I'd really like to stay at least within 20-25 minute drive. I saw some townhomes in the Riverfront at Palmyra community and fell in love, however, the taxes were on the higher end, driving my estimated mortgage price out of my budget. (A $150,000 townhome has taxes of $4900). I don't know anything about the neighborhood either but it seemed rather nice.

Now on the Philly side, I saw some nice homes in the 19152, 19114 area but nothing that caught my eye more than the homes in South Jersey. I'm also wondering if there'll be a balance - Philly: city wage tax, possibly higher car insurance, but lower property taxes as opposed to Jersey. Needless to say, I am confused. My budget is $150-$200K but it all depends on the price of property taxes. Can you help a clueless girl out?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,735,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by across the water View Post
Hello,

I'm confused and in need of some advice/opinions. I currently rent in NE Philly, in a nice area that is slowly going downhill. My lease is up in five months and I've begun my home search - I'm looking to buy my first home.

I work at a hospital in North Philadelphia and my family lives in Tacony, so I'd really like to stay at least within 20-25 minute drive. I saw some townhomes in the Riverfront at Palmyra community and fell in love, however, the taxes were on the higher end, driving my estimated mortgage price out of my budget. (A $150,000 townhome has taxes of $4900). I don't know anything about the neighborhood either but it seemed rather nice.

Now on the Philly side, I saw some nice homes in the 19152, 19114 area but nothing that caught my eye more than the homes in South Jersey. I'm also wondering if there'll be a balance - Philly: city wage tax, possibly higher car insurance, but lower property taxes as opposed to Jersey. Needless to say, I am confused. My budget is $150-$200K but it all depends on the price of property taxes. Can you help a clueless girl out?

Thanks in advance!
Do you need schools?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,902,187 times
Those townhomes are nice and right on the water. Thats why the taxes are a bit high. Remember you get what you pay for .. This is what your next too at the Palmyra townhomes.. Good luck.. Have you looked in Cinnaminson harbor??

https://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc46747.php

Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,450 times
Thank you both for your replies.

Southbound, no schools needed.

Frank, that picture is lovely. That's near the townhomes? Wow!

I did look into Cinnaminson Harbor but didn't schedule any appointments, perhaps I need to look into them further.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,606,083 times
If you dont need schools you could look into Maple Shade.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,749,436 times
Cinnaminson Harbor is nice, but I think the prices may stretch your budget a bit as the taxes are higher there. When it comes down to it, the only real difference is going to be city wage tax (about .5% difference?) and possibly lower car insurance rates (they tend to be pretty equal between Philly and Jersey). Overall though, I think you will find that whatever savings exists on those areas by moving to Jersey are more than wiped out by the property taxes and the cost of the commute.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by across the water View Post
T

Frank, that picture is lovely. That's near the townhomes? Wow!

I
In Riverton on the water. Walking distance from the townhomes in Palmyra.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 PM

398 posts, read 733,826 times
Stick to Philly, the taxes are outrageous here in Jersey and the commute will cost more too. Once you have kids, then move across to Jersey to take advantage of better schools.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Stick to Philly, the taxes are outrageous here in Jersey and the commute will cost more too. Once you have kids, then move across to Jersey to take advantage of better schools.
her area is going downhill, like the whole city is.. She wants to live in a pleasant, safer area. The suburbs are the answer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia