Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 PM

43 posts, read 86,502 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating within the next 6 months and I would love some information and opinions about the schools in Cherry Hill vs Mt. Laurel. I have a son who will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We are going to rent at first and will be visiting the area soon to get a feel for things in each town. I have heard a lot of positives about the schools in Cherry Hill, but have not heard as much about Mt. Laurel. This whole school thing is stressing me out since I though I was all set with kindergarten here in TX and now have to move. Also, those are the only 2 town we've been considering, but if there is another nearby that you would suggest, I would love to hear about that too. My husband's job will be in Mt. Laurel, so we would like to stay within 30 minutes of there. Thank you so much to anyone who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
I live in Mt. Laurel and I'll be honest with you. The 2 school district are very comparable. I believe Cherry Hill East is rate higher than Lenape but we are talking about High School here. Your son is only going to Kindergarten so that is why I said they are about the same. If you are choosing between the 2 towns to live, I would look at other things beside the school (taxes, convenience, neighborhood types, etc..)

Not sure if you know this already but Kindergarten won't be full day. It's only half day (morning or afternoon) so make sure you make plans for where you son is going to be in the other half of the day if you are not a stay at home mom.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
If you are looking at those two I would think you would throw Marlton in as well as an option.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
People on this forum will say that Cherry Hill is sooooooo much better than Mt. Laurel but in reality both are very good, as are Haddonfield, Marlton, Voorhees, and several others.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 PM

43 posts, read 86,502 times
Thank you for your replies so far. We will look into other towns and other factors besides schools, but right now that is my top priority. If the schools in other districts surrounding Cherry Hill are also good, then we will definitely consider those as well. I did notice that kindergarten is only half day, which is fine since I do stay at home, but is it half day in all districts? Just seems like there wouldn't be enough time in 2 1/2 hours to learn much. His preschool day is longer than that right now. Like I said, I will take your advice and look at other towns, but as far as Mt. Laurel, are all of the elementary schools fairly equal or is there an area we should look at over another if we do end up there?

Again, thank you for the advice. It is so difficult to plan long distance. I want to make sure I can get as much done as possible when we visit since it will only be for a few days.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki1130 View Post
Thank you for your replies so far. We will look into other towns and other factors besides schools, but right now that is my top priority. If the schools in other districts surrounding Cherry Hill are also good, then we will definitely consider those as well. I did notice that kindergarten is only half day, which is fine since I do stay at home, but is it half day in all districts? Just seems like there wouldn't be enough time in 2 1/2 hours to learn much. His preschool day is longer than that right now. Like I said, I will take your advice and look at other towns, but as far as Mt. Laurel, are all of the elementary schools fairly equal or is there an area we should look at over another if we do end up there?

Again, thank you for the advice. It is so difficult to plan long distance. I want to make sure I can get as much done as possible when we visit since it will only be for a few days.

If you are moving to Mt. Laurel, I would say pick an area where your son would attend Springville Elementary. It's a newer school. There are 5 others Elementary for Mt. Laurel

As for the 2 1/2 hours. It's a joke if your son had private schooling before. There is a wide range of kids with different levels when they start elementary school so the 2 1/2 hours is just a way to allow all kids to adjust.

http://www.mtlaurelschools.org/springville/index.php (broken link)

Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 AM

212 posts, read 610,467 times
Here's an article about kindergartens in the area you're looking in. It may be of some help to you.
Longer school session in plans | courierpostonline.com | Courier-Post

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Look at Moorestown & Haddonfield as well as Cherry Hill.

If you decide that you want to go private, look at Moorestown Friends.

Moorestown Friends School

Check Lower school. It's a full day program.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
The full vs. half day thing varies by district. A lot of them went to half days as a result of the budget cuts, but some districts still offer full day. As for quality, at the elementary level, any of the towns mentioned in the thread will serve you well and they are all safe/nice towns as well. Once you are settled in and renting, you will have time to shop around for the house and decide on an area that is a better match.

Where are you coming from in Texas? My wife and I spent a year in Waxahachie do to my job.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
I went to Naudain Academy for preschool-kindergarten... It's a Montessori school I would highly recommend.

Naudain Academy Montessori School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia