Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,354,659 times

Advertisements

I am a south Jersey native approaching retirement. I live in the Pacific northwest, but I have had enough of the interminable winters and weeks of cloudy skies out here and I'm toying with the idea of moving back to my roots for my sunset years, revisting the shore, enjoying cheeseteaks, hoagies, real tomatoes, and all that jazz.

I get the feeling from this forum that taxes and other issues have pushed the cost of living in NJ beyond what is reasonable. An exception that I've found on the web is Leisuretowne, a retirement community in south Jersey, not far from where I grew up and not too far from the shore, where homes appear to be modestly priced and comfortable for the over-60s set.

I would appreciate any insights from folks here concerning Leisuretowne (hidden costs or other pitfalls), the cost of living in that part of the state, and whether you think I'm crazy to move back to Jersey.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I am a south Jersey native approaching retirement. I live in the Pacific northwest, but I have had enough of the interminable winters and weeks of cloudy skies out here and I'm toying with the idea of moving back to my roots for my sunset years, revisting the shore, enjoying cheeseteaks, hoagies, real tomatoes, and all that jazz.

I get the feeling from this forum that taxes and other issues have pushed the cost of living in NJ beyond what is reasonable. An exception that I've found on the web is Leisuretowne, a retirement community in south Jersey, not far from where I grew up and not too far from the shore, where homes appear to be modestly priced and comfortable for the over-60s set.

I would appreciate any insights from folks here concerning Leisuretowne (hidden costs or other pitfalls), the cost of living in that part of the state, and whether you think I'm crazy to move back to Jersey.

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty local - right off of rt 70 in Country Lakes. When was the last time you were back?

I can't answer the specific questions about living there, but like the area here a lot. I've been down here 14 years (from Union / Somerset counties), the part of Leisuretowne I've driven through hasn't changed. From what I've seen online, it looks like they had more housing go in.

The area is still nice, you're pretty close to civilazation there, you can go any way you want for shopping and the shore isn't far. There are a lot more stores in the Medford area and on Rt 38 within the last few years... For groceries you now have choices... Acme in Medford, Shop Rite in Medford & on rt 38; Super Fresh also on 38. We also have Walmarts now, one on 38 and one close to rt 73.

Have you chosen a realtor yet? The lady I've been using to buy & sell has been a really good agent, not at all pushy (unless she needs to be) and her web site is really good, pulls from the MLS unlike a lot of the other big name sites. If you sign up, you can get emails when new listings come on to help track pricing. If you'd like her name / site, I'd be glad to give it.

Where I'm at, we have 3% sales tax, food has gone up in the last few months which I expected when diesel went up.
Gas is $2.73 for regular, still not self serve.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,709 times
Due to health reasons, I have to move from Florida back the south Jersey to be close to family. Since the real estate taxes are crazy in NJ, I decided that Leisuretowne works best for me. I am in contract to buy a home there and hope to move within 3 months. Although I am leaving a 4 bedroom home with a heated pool in Florida, I am buying a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1 car garage house in Leisuretowne. This is all I need!

Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 AM

983 posts, read 2,776,178 times
Is Leisuretown exempt from NJ's insane property taxes?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:11 AM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Is Leisuretown exempt from NJ's insane property taxes?
Maybe, because there's not much going on in Southampton Township. There are no schools, government buildings, or... anything.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:08 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,271,099 times
I was just looking at their website and noticed they have a 2-pet limit (2 dogs, or 2 cats or 1 dog and 1 cat). That would be a deal-breaker for me; posting this in case it would matter to anyone else.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:41 AM

I was wrong; they have school(s)-K to 8.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
Default Public Transit in Leisuretowne

I do not drive. How could I get from Leisuretowne to Philadelphia?

Old 08-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Call them and ask.

https://www.leisuretowne.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia