Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM

398 posts, read 733,662 times

Advertisements

Be careful, the white people in South Jersey are some of the most racist I have met. I came from a very affluent suburb of Washington, D.C... imagine my surprise when my neighbors in South Jersey openly use the "n" word. There is NO diversity in SJ... no hispanic community of any significance... a few sprinkled here and there. (to me, black people are not diverse... a different skin color does not make you diverse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,882,496 times
There is a pretty significant Hispanic community... it's just concentrated (aka contained/segregated) within Camden and parts of Lindenwold. The way I actually found out Camden is 40% Hispanic a while back was from its Wikipedia article, which is pretty sad on my part since I grew up maybe 10 miles away.

I disagree that black people are not "diverse." It's a whole other culture that people who aren't African American don't really know about. One of my suite-mates is black, and I've really been able to see everything, from tv shows to language to cuisine, from a completely different perspective after living with him.

Finally, Cherry Hill and Voorhees have substantial Indian and Asian populations. Haddon Heights, not really.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Sadly no good Indian restaurants in SJ. The best one, Coriander in Voorhees, is just passable.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,882,496 times
Hmm, well off topic but Monsoon in Mt. Laurel is very good, Palace of Asia in Cherry Hill on Rt. 70 is also good. There's also one in Collingswood that's decent, I forget what it's called. Gagan Palace in Lindenwold and Gagan Restaurant in Mt. Holly have Indian food for Indian people, so not sure how that flies with everyone else.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,898,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Be careful, the white people in South Jersey are some of the most racist I have met. I came from a very affluent suburb of Washington, D.C... imagine my surprise when my neighbors in South Jersey openly use the "n" word. There is NO diversity in SJ... no hispanic community of any significance... a few sprinkled here and there. (to me, black people are not diverse... a different skin color does not make you diverse).
you obviously have never been to Philly lol.. The blacks AND whites are racist.. SJ has plenty diversity.. Get a clue cause you lost yours.. Camden, Vineland, Millville, Lindenwold, Willingboro etc etc are very diverse...

Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times
Yeah not sure what crawled into Northbound's Wheaties yesterday...South Jersey is actually pretty diverse compared to some other areas. He mentioned Gloucester Twp before...I graduated from Gloucester Twp schools and thought it was pretty diverse (MUCH more diverse than where I went to college). I thought the racial breakdown of the population of my high school was pretty close to the breakdown of the U.S. as a whole.

I kinda get where he's coming from with the racism comments, but there are racists everywhere. And from what I've seen a lot of people in SJ aren't true racists, although they do believe a lot of stereotypes. But if someone doesn't fit the stereotype, they won't have a problem befriending them. It's not like they hate all blacks out of principle or anything. I don't know of any whites that openly use the n-word though.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Merriam-Webster's defines diverse as:
composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities <a diverse population>

The greater the mix of peoples, the more diverse a place is.

My idea of a place with diversity is where you have whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, middle easterners, south asians, eastern europeans, etc. Try a place like Alexandria, Virginia. Or Toronto. Or Los Angeles. I am talking about places where you walk down the street and hear half a dozen different languages being spoken.

Philly is way more diverse than SJ having hispanic, vietnamese, chinese, russian enclaves. But they are too small, and too spread out... the Vietnamese being in South Philly and the Russians being all the way up in the far northeast.

I disagree with frank, having a large black population doesn't make you a diverse place. I go to Philly every day, yes, the blacks are sometimes more racist than the whites. Being white, who do you think is going to openly admit to me that they are racist? The other whites of course!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times
LOL at bringing up Alexandria, Toronto, and LA. Those are probably 3 of the most diverse cities in North America, of course everywhere isn't going to be as diverse as them.

And let me get this straight, you enjoy hearing half a dozen different languages walking down the street? I'm fine with diversity, but this is America, hopefully the people speaking those half a dozen different languages can also speak English.

Just checked the stats for my high school:

Population of the US, according to wikipedia:
72.4% white
12.6% black
4.8% Asian
1.1% American Indian/Alaskan/Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
16.3% Hispanic

Highland High School in 2008-2009, according to the National Center for Education Statistics:
63.9% white
25.8% black
5% Hispanic
5% Asian/Pacific Islander

seems pretty diverse if you ask me

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,700,782 times
Quote:
Sadly no good Indian restaurants in SJ. The best one, Coriander in Voorhees, is just passable.
Have you tried Cross Culture in Haddonfield? So far that is my favorite in the area.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,898,805 times
In Philly..(I put in almost 50 years there) ALL the ethnic populations stay together.. The blacks stay in their hoods, the Russians in theirs, Asians in theirs.. etc.. Is this your definition of diversity?

Quote:
Merriam-Webster's defines diverse as:
composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities <a diverse population>

The greater the mix of peoples, the more diverse a place is.

My idea of a place with diversity is where you have whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, middle easterners, south asians, eastern europeans, etc. Try a place like Alexandria, Virginia. Or Toronto. Or Los Angeles. I am talking about places where you walk down the street and hear half a dozen different languages being spoken.

Philly is way more diverse than SJ having hispanic, vietnamese, chinese, russian enclaves. But they are too small, and too spread out... the Vietnamese being in South Philly and the Russians being all the way up in the far northeast.

I disagree with frank, having a large black population doesn't make you a diverse place. I go to Philly every day, yes, the blacks are sometimes more racist than the whites. Being white, who do you think is going to openly admit to me that they are racist? The other whites of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia