Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM

28 posts, read 84,620 times

Advertisements

GraysFerry, love your comment about the "For Sale and Lease signs." I'm all for small business, but the choices that people are making opening retail is confounding. I was pleased to see that someone is opening a shop in Westmont a couple buidlings down from McMillans... only to be perplexed that it's going to be a tanning salon. Sigh. Really? That's someone's idea for a successfull business concept? In 2010?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM

681 posts, read 1,514,050 times
GOAT, I'm SURE there is some ordinance against that too. Remember, the BYO's are specific to beer and wine. Interesting on what would happen if it were challenged? Guitar player, light fare, Quizzo night, games on flatscreens and problem solved, right?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Funny. I've always thought of that, too! I know that some "full monty" strip clubs use that model and it is a great way to skirt the law. As far as the BYOB goes, remember, SOME establishments have been penalized for bringing anything other than beer or wine. That includes tequlia which, technically, you are not allowed to bring as the law reads. The BYO's do little for the overall economy of the town. The strange law of no established retail in favor of local chains is worse. Salad Works and Wawa are the only ones you know as they are 'local'. Whats the point?
I would like to open a biz that prints FOR SALE and LEASE signs! I would make a killing in Collingswood!
This is the reason for the booming metropolis of Tavistock.

Really, they need to allow X number of known chains to anchor local stores. I've seen Collingswood go through phases for decades. It's pretty simple. They have good housing stock. They are uncomfortably close to Camden, but not the really bad part of Camden. They have an unfortunate link to Woodlynne for high school. That means that they ain't Haddonfield, & some of these people just don't get that.

They were doing pretty darned good when most of Haddon Ave was antiques stores, a florist, RX Pharmacy, a hardware, & a few clothing shops & that funky old grocery store. Something happened & RX pulled out & the antique shops started closing.

RX was a weird pharmacy/dollar store where you could pay almost any utility bill in South Jersey. It drew people in & those people shopped at the other stores.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM

You also have to consider the growth of the Garden State Track shopping area. You won't pay more at the local hardware store when Home Depot is now 3 miles away. That goes for "cutey" stores and eateries too. Pei Wei, Houlahan's, etc. Cherry Hill Mall has also stepped up to the plate with a huge investment making it more like King of Prussia. Collingswood needs to figure this in to their "island" equation.
I am pleased to mention that the past Second Saturday in Colls was PACKED for the better. They even had a free meet n mingle with your neighbors event with wine and food. It was a nice step to bring people on the street. Empty by 9:30 but that goes back to my other point.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 AM

908 posts, read 1,831,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal paradise View Post
the Lumberyard is an enigma to me too. Who is the target market?
I believe their target market was young professionals. The problem is that for the prices they are charging for these condos most young professionals would opt to live in Philadelphia. For projects like the Lumberyard to be successful with young professionals they need to be a cheaper alternative to Philadelphia, which they are not. If they refuse to change the liquor laws in Collingswood then these projects will never work. A better use of the Lumberyard space would have been to construct row houses at prices similar to what homes are selling in the area.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:03 PM

The way it's going now (The Lumberyard), is the likelyhood of a "fire sale" like the Murano building in Philly. They get with an auction house to sell the completed or half complete units at a steal and then generate revenue as well as "spark interest" in new buyers and raise the price slightly ( this is just my 2cent forecast; no facts to support this at all! ). They have promised movement in the complex but not a shovel has been lifted. The mold in there must be something to see. Main Street Realty has constant open houses but the prices are still too high for a 2BR/2bath unit. Again, you can get a bungalow in town for the same money with equal or less taxes and no HOA fees. The sale/lease signs keep popping up on the storefronts and they blame "the economy" but still have no plan to modernize Collingswood.
But, we have a new Italian Reastaurant (yes, another!), and it's pretty good....

Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,831,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
The way it's going now (The Lumberyard), is the likelyhood of a "fire sale"
I agree, but I think that will still be a hard sell because their tax abatement is not competitive with Philadelphia, they are providing 5 years while the norm is 10 years. After the abatement is over Collingswood will have no choice but to raise their taxes on these units to astronomical rates. At this point I think it would be better to turn the place into a rental building.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM

28 posts, read 84,620 times
If you have build it (have a bar) they will come (buy your condos and spend thier money). How is this hard?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 AM

I am a bit confused about how they overlook some things that are just obvious. I'm even more stumped on why they refuse to attract (allow?) established retail chains along Haddon Avenue but watch the SALE/LEASE signs rise. They ignore the biz owners who sell all those trinkets as well as the residents ( well...me...I asked to attend a biz meeting and was told" you don't own one; you can't come"). I'm moving to Philly in the Spring.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
For those of you that are questioning why Collingswood is a dry town. Please note that their is a deed restriction related to Knight's Park for all properties in Collingswood. That deed restriction requires that all business properties must be dry. If that restriction was violated, then the ownership of the entire park would revert back to the heirs of Mr. Knight. For that reason Collingswood will remain a dry town forever!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia