Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM

121 posts, read 515,522 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm strongly considering moving to NH, preferrably the Littleton area, from what I've read so far. My question is...how's the water?

I'll explain why I'm asking...

I currently live in Florida. City water here is...well, let's just say I spend about $10 extra per month to keep myself stocked in bottled water and gallon jugs. It's awful here, especially for renters like myself who have no way to install a full system water softener the way a homeowner would. (Nor pay the $4,000 to do it!)

I remember growing up in PA, and filling my glass with water from the faucet was refreshing. Here, it makes me quiver. SO...

What's the water in NH like? Clean? Hard? And if anyone knows, is it flouridated? Thanks you guys - I appreciate it!

TheCaptain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,596 times
Yes I do all the time. Personal favorite is the natural spring on RT 2 in Jefferson. But I will drink from the tap as well.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 PM

15 posts, read 58,158 times
If I remember correctly, fluoridation depends on the municipal water system (if there is one, a lot of folks are on their own wells). Fluoride does occur naturally in some areas and well water can have high levels of it. Water flavor varies from delicious to funky, but faucet-mounted filters like the PUR units are inexpensive and permissible in just about any apartment since you just unscrew the aerator and screw on the filter, there's no alteration of the plumbing. Chilling a jug of tap water for drinking takes away most off tastes too; some towns overchlorinate a bit and so the water can taste/smell "swimming-poolish" but that dissipates in a few hours' standing in a pitcher or bottle. The water tends to be a bit on the hard side overall but again that varies from place to place.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The tap water in Littleton is just fine. IIRC the supply is a small lake and the treatment minimal. Good stuff.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM

453 posts, read 2,101,566 times
the tap water in portsmouth is good.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,972 times
We live in Littleton and have had both well water and town water - both were fine. In NYS we drank bottled water....not here

Old 05-19-2007, 08:57 AM

121 posts, read 515,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
We live in Littleton and have had both well water and town water - both were fine. In NYS we drank bottled water....not here
LOL, then you must know exactly where I'm coming from. Florida city water, well there's really no polite way to describe it.

Thanks you guys - this has made me feel so much better!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:35 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,595 times
I know exactly where you're coming from. I live in Arizona and I am so tired of having to buy bottled water. I can't wait to get to NH and be able to drink from the tap again.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:26 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,972 times
Our water in NYS came from the Hudson River and it was HEAVILY chlorinated - you could always taste it and if they gave it an extra "shot" forget it <g>. Since being here in NH, even with the town water in Littleton, I have yet to taste anything except water....if that makes sense <g>

Old 05-20-2007, 04:02 AM

108 posts, read 413,208 times
City water taste varies from municipality to municipality. I personally thing Manchester water tastes great. I have heard that the town of Epsom town water supply tastes metallicy.
I have lived in several areas where well water varies greatly. In certain areas of the states there is a lot of iron and magnesium in the well waters. Many people need filtration systems to take care of this issue which affects not only taste but laundry problems. The iron will turn whites yellow. The well issue can vary from well to well. My current well is the best well on my street. We have no iron or other hard mineral issues and we do not have a filtration system. Some of my neighbors do have these problems. We lucked out (so far) . You never know with a well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire