Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 PM

107 posts, read 343,216 times

Advertisements

We recently bought an older home in Tuftonboro NH. I understand that many homes do not utilize gutters due to the fact that the weight of the snow most likely pulls them down.
Our problem is that the old stone foundation immediately starts leaking rain water into the basement as soon as it begins to rain. We are planning to dig out along the foundation on the outside and install plastic and pea gravel to help the water drain away from the house. Im sure this will help but I doubt it will cure the problem completely. Gutters on the other hand would in fact fix the problem. Funny thing is, I dont think I have seen ANY homes in NH with gutters. Im sure this is for a reason! Any help, tips or advice? Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
We have gutters. I hear they encourage ice dams...

...they also protect the sides of your home from water damage.

Best bet is gutters with appropriate measures to prevent damage from ice dams (proper attic ventilation/insulation, ice/water shield under roofing, etc).

Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Forget the gutters......they will ruin your home that far up north. Dig around the foundation & lay gravel like you plan, but also put some PVC pipe under the ground to take water away from the foundation. Hiring a contractor who has done this properly would be a good idea.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
While you've excavated along the exterior of the foundation for your new drainage system, you may want to consider re-pointing the mortar joints of the exposed portion of the foundation wall.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
We have gutters and an old stone foundation that leaks if the gutters get clogged, but we are not as far north as you are. I would ask local contractors and handypeople what they recommend. Old stone foundations aren't watertight and it isn't necessarily the end of the world if you get water in the basement, as long as it has somewhere to go.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,705 times
Gutters seem to only cause more harm than good:

Cost to install them.
Time to clean them out.
They encourage ice damns.

As long as you properly slope and prepare around your foundation you shouldn't have an issue with basement flooding.

the only place I can see using a gutter is a small are over a door way - they also sell metal water diverters for that as well

Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
All of the above ideas are good. Gutters fill with ice in the winter and block water flow off the roof. If you do not have the time to install basemant drainage you can use plastic stapled to the foundation under the walls to direct runoff away from the foundation until a proper drainage system can be installed. Looks awful but usually works.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM

30 posts, read 90,650 times
No gutters are better in most cases. It will do more harm than help if not installed right and keeping up with maintenance.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM

107 posts, read 343,216 times
all sounds like good advice. looks like we will be digging along the foundation and will definitely look into repairing those joints with mortar.

the old house sat unoccupied for several years prior to us purchasing it and water in the basement caused some mold problems, etc for us but it seems that some simple fixes will keep the basement much much drier than it has been. we did have a drain pipe installed from the lowest point in the basement out under the foundation already. trenching on the outside and adding plastic and stone will be next and then we are going to add plastic to the basement floor with stone on top of that. thanks for the advice.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
After reading this thread earlier in the week, it stuck in my head during a motorcycle riding up in the lakes area. As i was riding the back roads, I tried to observe the homes and noted few had gutters. so i guess the smart thing to do is leave them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire