Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm back in NH for the weekend so you can expect me to post some foliage pics later in the Picture Thread (albeit with a downgraded camera...), but in the meantime I just wanted to generate some discussion about the fall colors this year.

Every year is quite different with respect to the timing and intensity of colors. For example, in 2005 the colors didn't show until very late in the season. In 2006, the opposite occurred and the colors began very early. Neither year was particularly good for color intensity as there were a lot of trees that just dried up and turned brown.

2007 and 2008 were both generally good years for fall colors. 2007 followed normal peak times and gave us some brilliant colors. The 2008 season seemed to start overnight at the very end of September and then followed a normal pattern. There were fewer reds than the year before but overall the colors were very vibrant.

Now that my brief "foliage history lesson" is over, we turn to 2009. My observations and word of mouth have led me to believe that there is only one way to describe the foliage this year: sporadic. First of all, the geographic progression is not as regular as it usually is. For example, right now you'll find some pretty good colors in eastern Massachusetts (which is fairly early in the season for them) and similar colors all the way up in Concord, NH. But there tend to be patches of trees that are still fairly green and patches that have already lost most of their leaves.

While some of the trees are mostly green or dull, that's not to say that the foliage isn't spectacular this year! In fact, there are many very vibrant trees as well. Like I said, it just seems a bit more patchy and sporadic than usual. One thing's clear: the colors do seem to be progressing a bit earlier than normal, so now's the perfect time for that leaf-peeping drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

72 posts, read 195,883 times
Maybe a silly question, but I'm heading up to Portsmouth area the first weekend in November. I'm not expecting any great colors, but is it likely the leaves will still be on the trees at that point? Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
Maybe a silly question, but I'm heading up to Portsmouth area the first weekend in November. I'm not expecting any great colors, but is it likely the leaves will still be on the trees at that point? Thanks

probably not - the color doesn't usually last through rain storms and the trees are usually bare for Halloween.

just drove to New York two weeks ago and VT was in full color across Route 4 - drove to Bar Harbor, ME this weekend and the color is past peak with a lot of bare trees - it's working it's way south currently and is at peak now in the White Mts. and will be past peak next week.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Yeah, I just drove through the White Mountains today and I can definitely vouch that the area is at peak foliage. The colors are amazing but unfortunately the sun wasn't shining. :\ Here's hoping it peeks through the clouds this weekend...

Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 AM

39 posts, read 78,767 times
I was supposed to be coming up to Portsmouth this weekend to move some more of my things - we are moving to the area in 1-2 months - but my husband is doing it with a friend instread of with me since the things he is moving are heavy. He is going to see some great color! What do you think the chances are for good color Oct 22-25? That's the next time I'll be in the area. I really don't want to miss the foliage this year!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

The seacoast is usually the last place in the state to see peak foliage, so I'm pretty sure there will still be some lovely color on the 22nd. It's hard to say with the way things are going this year whether it'll be past its prime by then, but generally that would be abnormal for Portsmouth I think.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM

39 posts, read 78,767 times
Great, thanks.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:09 PM

So the sun finally came out this afternoon, right when I was finishing my hike in Holderness. There's peak color in much of the Lakes Region already, although unfortunately it seems that last night's rain and wind took out some of the more vibrant reds and oranges (red leaves are particularly susceptible to falling off in rain storms for some reason). The colors are definitely progressing at a more rapid pace than usual, possibly because of the colder-than-average temperatures.

I suppose it's not a perfect foliage season, but every year I am amazed at how beautiful it is.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 AM

263 posts, read 859,544 times
a lot of the trees around my area (Candia) had tons of leaves blown off over the past few days...it's been SUPER windy!! : ( I am planning on taking a ride today though to catch what I can for foliage pics before any more rain or wind gets rid of the rest of the leaves on the trees!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
My wife and I were driving around Lake Sunapee today. There are some really nice yellows this year but seems to be fewer examples of brilliant red maples that we're used to seeing. Could be just the timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire