Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 35,880 times

Advertisements

I have looked all over the Web and this site, and i still can not figure which way the winds blow in NH. Looking to get some pigs and want to get the stink to hopfully blow away from the house.
THANKS JAMES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 AM

62 posts, read 191,869 times
Default The Department of Energy's Wind Program might know

Wind Powering America: New Hampshire Wind Resource Map

Old 07-27-2009, 03:50 AM

497 posts, read 952,982 times
buy a wind sock...

Solid and Striped Windsocks

Old 07-27-2009, 04:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Ask at a local small airport. There should be a "wind rose" available. In my area, Londonderry, the winds are generally from the Suth Wst before a cold front passes and North West after. Coastal storms generally over ride the prevailing westerly’s with strong gales form the Northeast. Hence the term "nor'easter" is used for these strong storms.

As far as sighting a pig farm is concerned I think the local terrain would have a significant effect on the distribution of the smell. You must be very careful to locate places that may develop winter and summer inversions. Under these conditions the odor can concentrate and neither you nor your neighbors will be very happy.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,136,895 times
almost always from the west - unless there is a storm out to sea that has backed in and reversed the direction of the prevailing wind - then it come across Maine, and down across NH then back out to sea

in the winter, we have alberta clippers where the wind comes straight from the north

but generally, from the west

a wind sock is a good idea

good luck with the pig stench - your neighbors will love you.....not. they are worse than chickens and the smell will linger in your clothes and in the general area.

Some of you may remember the fairly large pig farm in south manchester right at the 93/293 split. The pig huts were quite a bit away from the highway, yet the smell traveled for miles. When that area started to get developed with mcmansions, people complained daily. Eventually the farmer shut down his operation as it became too costly to defend himself in multiple lawsuits.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,863 times
I always had pigs a short distance from the house and had no problem. Most of my friends raise their own pork and you'd never know it standing around in their yards. I think a lot of it has to do with how much effort you put into keeping up your pig enclosures than what direction the wind blows. That place in Manchester was a dump.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 35,880 times
Thanks for the info. I am only looking to get 1 or 2 pigs at the most. I got almost 20 acres, which one side the of the property is on a lake. A friend of of mines has 4 pigs within 50 feet of his house and you would never know he had pigs. I keep ya posted when i get the pigs, or yeah and the chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire