Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
alright something nice to say.. The people up there are very nice, It has a couple really nice lakes up there,,, it does have a general store/grocery\gas station that you can buy groceries at. The main street has a bank, post office , school, police dept,gas station and a couple small shops but that is about it. On back Lake there is a resturaunt called rainbow grille, food , service, and setting on the lake are very good. There is an IGA supermarket about 30 mins away and colebrook which is about that distance has most of everything you would need .. 1 hour away is lancaster which offers a little bit more and then littleton 1 hr 15 mins has everything ( home depot, walmart, tj maxx, ) that is probably the once a month trip.. I would not recommend for families, you're just asking for your kids to have imaginary friends.. Not great for singles. but for outdoor enthusiasts couples or retirees not bad.

Retirees... Do you want them to freeze to death! My poor husband is retired please don't tell him he has to move to there now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

215 posts, read 584,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Sorry but Pittsburg is not deliverance. We are up there several times a year and know people who live there and they are nice people (who have even flown in a plane btw).

If you are looking for a built up place then Pittsburg and the surrounding area is not the place for you. Pittsburg has Young's. They have that other little store as you first enter the town but it kept changing hands and I believe is still closed down. You have the IGA and mom and pop's in Colebrook and can drive to Lancaster and Littleton for some things, but to get to any mall, etc. would be a day trip. Some women I know up there go to Canada for shopping as well. If you are worried about a day trip for clothes shopping, etc, then it is probably not the place for you. I personally never want that area of the state to have all the shopping that one needs as it would, in my opinion, ruin the area.
I agree with Nicolem . She is spot on. I bet Aptor that you have never flown into a remote lake to fish or camp ? As far as never flying, my wife and I vacation in Ireland on a regular basis. How do you suppose we get there , swim ? The picture you paint of this area is that we are all mentally ill and that we have never had any contact with the outside world . Give it a rest . You must of had a bad experience at one time while up here and figure that is the norm. I can assure you we are not all idiots or mentally disabled. Please come up again and experience the Great North Woods

Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
I agree with Nicolem . She is spot on. I bet Aptor that you have never flown into a remote lake to fish or camp ? As far as never flying, my wife and I vacation in Ireland on a regular basis. How do you suppose we get there , swim ? The picture you paint of this area is that we are all mentally ill and that we have never had any contact with the outside world . Give it a rest . You must of had a bad experience at one time while up here and figure that is the norm. I can assure you we are not all idiots or mentally disabled. Please come up again and experience the Great North Woods
Is Colebrook in the Great North Woods region? I just did a Google Earth search and it appears that Colebrook has many farms or large stretches of agricultural land?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM

215 posts, read 584,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Is Colebrook in the Great North Woods region? I just did a Google Earth search and it appears that Colebrook has many farms or large stretches of agricultural land?
That is what the state calls this area. It started as a pr thing awhile back. When you come up here you will see signs welcoming you to the Great North Woods region . You should try it some time.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
That is what the state calls this area. It started as a pr thing awhile back. When you come up here you will see signs welcoming you to the Great North Woods region . You should try it some time.
I have to drive up to northern Coos sometime this summer. I really want to see some of the towns and the Connecticut Lakes

Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Can you say Deliverance! lol
Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I love NH. Born and raised here. My kids are the 8th generation of our family in our great state. We don't own a key to our shack and I only take my keys out of my truck when we go into Northern MA aka Nashua, Salem, Manchester.
I was just trying to scare off all the flatlanders and the like.
Of course if you want to see backwoods and boondocks - I'm your huckleberry!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 PM

105 posts, read 208,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I love NH. Born and raised here. My kids are the 8th generation of our family in our great state. We don't own a key to our shack and I only take my keys out of my truck when we go into Northern MA aka Nashua, Salem, Manchester.
I was just trying to scare off all the flatlanders and the like.
Of course if you want to see backwoods and boondocks - I'm your huckleberry!
Yes! Everyone in Southern NH is a Mass. transplant, illegal alien, or useless criminal! Just like everyone north of Concord is a tourist, wealthy summer homeowner, or an ignorant, inbred redneck. Stereotypes are so fun!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Yes! Everyone in Southern NH is a Mass. transplant, illegal alien, or useless criminal! Just like everyone north of Concord is a tourist, wealthy summer homeowner, or an ignorant, inbred redneck. Stereotypes are so fun!
Hey, I resemble those remarks!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
My family owns a farm and lives in the Great North Woods. I just do not have the money to do so. Stunning summers and brutal winters. If things work out we will be able to snowbird between the GNW and central New Mexico. Best of both worlds with a great drive in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire