Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM

215 posts, read 583,779 times

Advertisements

[quote=nicolem;6821743]Same here in the Lakes region-we still had a decent amount of snow on the ground in late April of last year- I recall it because it was past my husband's b-day and we still had snow. It was mid May before all the snow in the woods behind our home was 100% gone.

Sorry folks it must be my old age kickin in . I could of sworn there was no snow here in May. Although we didn't get the snow you guys had down in the Lakes Region. Maybe I should go take a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
its called new hampshire, quit whining and get out da shovel

Old 01-04-2009, 06:37 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Hey I like Wanna's idea--a pause button would be GREAT!! We've had a nice stretch of weather, but looks like we're in for another round on Wednesday (snow and ice expected...) IF we lose power and these kids are out of school again, I'm gonna scream and cry and who knows what else!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Hey I like Wanna's idea--a pause button would be GREAT!! We've had a nice stretch of weather, but looks like we're in for another round on Wednesday (snow and ice expected...) IF we lose power and these kids are out of school again, I'm gonna scream and cry and who knows what else!!!
I have some background in meteorology, and can interpret the computer models decently. I just checked the latest GFS model run, and Wed does not look anything like the previous icing event. The total precip with this system looks to be less, and more likely sleet the further north you go in NH. Also, the warmer air aloft will be more subdued compared with the previous event. What this means is that the risk for a damaging event is greatly reduced. However, the event is a few days away so much can change until then..

Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

BTW, for those that like colder air I see the potential for at least one arctic outbreak a little over a week from now. The coldest of the air has mainly been confined to the Upper Midwest and Northern Plains for the past month, but the core of the cold will likely shift a little further to the East for part of this month.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,308 times
Well, not that I'm in love with the cold but, we need these temperatures to make old Mother Nature run right. I, for one, am looking forward to tapping my maple orchard and producing a nice batch of maple syrup and the maples appreciate the cold weather. And, so do I.....it makes the sugar content higher!

Global warming, climate change, the coming ice age.....call it what you want. Many of our trees require the changes of the seasons. Besides, it tends to keep the riff raft out!

Everyone have a great day....

Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,984 times
Aside from the terrible ice storm, this winter is seeming surprisingly... average so far. We definitely haven't seen the extreme amount of snow we had last winter, and although the temps might be slightly above the historical averages, we've had enough arctic blasts to even it out.

Assuming the temps and precipitation remain at "normal" levels, I would expect the thaw to start in late March and the snow to be completely gone by mid-April in most areas.

Of course, that might just be wishful thinking.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Aside from the terrible ice storm, this winter is seeming surprisingly... average so far. We definitely haven't seen the extreme amount of snow we had last winter, and although the temps might be slightly above the historical averages, we've had enough arctic blasts to even it out.

Assuming the temps and precipitation remain at "normal" levels, I would expect the thaw to start in late March and the snow to be completely gone by mid-April in most areas.

Of course, that might just be wishful thinking.
From what I am seeing in the models currently I would expect a solid arctic blast in about a week to 1.5 weeks. This will likely mean lows below -10F even for south-central areas of the state before moderation occurs. This is about what one would expect given the fact that most of NH is located in zone 5 or colder according to the USDA hardiness maps.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I expect Winter to end about the beginning of May. This is a bit earlier than usual.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,089 times
Dude, it's only Jan 5. Give it some time. Like 3-4 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire