Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 PM

70 posts, read 385,573 times

Advertisements

My bf and i are visiting the rochester/portsmouth area tomorrow...

have a few business things to take care of we have the entire afternoon/evening to do whatever...

we're driving in from my apt in keene

any must do's? good places to eat? what should we check out

any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,453 times
Jumpin Jay's Fish Cafe is excellent for dinner. Probably best to make a reservation early.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,854 times
Drive down the coast through New Castle all the way to Rye. Spectacular.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Hit up La Festa in Dover for excellent pizza, the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth for good food w/ crappy service, and Scorpion's bar in Durham (just because my buddies own it.)

Take a stroll through Strawberry Bank in Portsmouth, visit the outlet stores in Kittery, drive Rt. 1A on the coast, do some 'spirited' driving on the back roads between Rt. 125 and Newmarket, visit UNH, grab a coffee at Breaking New Grounds in Durham or Portsmouth, visit the Fox Run mall, walk the pedistrian bridge over Little Bay...

There's tons to do. Hope this helps, and that you get this before you leave.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:17 PM

wow didn't get all that before we left but i will remember it as we will be going back/moving to the area over the coming months

we did the friendly toast and it was nifty then just sorta walked around portsmouth to get a "feel" for it and its vibe... very nice place

Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Good luck with moving out there. Having grown up in Keene, and then living on the seacoast, I think you'll really enjoy it. The mission burrito with home fries is great at The Friendly Toast. Wash it all down with a PBR, and you can't go wrong.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 AM

i'm actually pretty excited to move out there... i've gone from buffalo, ny to keene and to me... it's OK but i wish there were just MORE around here! i don't need a boston-sized city... i miss being able to say hmm it's 10pm on a friday night... lets go out to eat and having some GOOD restuarants still open. OR better yet... it's 10pm and we're bored lets go walk around walmart... oh wait there's no 24 hr wal mart! haha i actually had to PROVE to my bf/fiance/whatever... that the walmart was closed! he thought all walmarts were 24/7 and it was some sort of rule!
so portsmouth seems to be the good compromise... now I've just got to start researching areas to live... b/c of where his job will be living in portsmouth seems out, we'll need to be north more towards rochester... and I'm going to be doing my internship next year *and every year for the next few yrs* and would rather not have to commute over an hour to whereever i get accepted (lots of spots in the concord-area) so i'm looking at dover as a possibilty

so here's the coming attractions: Coming soon to a forum near you: the help me figure out where to move thread!

but if anyone reads this now and has a brilliant suggestion i wouldn't say no

Old 11-09-2008, 07:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,210 times
Check out Barrington, Nottingham, Madbury. Those are all real nice towns.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
NXC, I really think the seacoast areas of Dover, or Barrington will suit you. Like you said, a place where you can go out after 10 pm would be good, and let's face it, the western part of the state (Keene, etc) is meant for a bit slower pace of life... If you're looking for a rental/apartment, you'll have better luck in Dover/Newington area, plus lots of good restaurants, nightlife, etc is nearby.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 AM

we'll be look at a rental for the 1st 1-2yrs and hopefully be purchasing once we've learned more about the area. it depends on how we're looking financially and how business is... which hopefully will be looking up but as I've learned in the past few months, isn't a guarantee anymore

thanks for the suggestions, i'll def. be checking out dover and will include barrington, madbury, and nottingham too! the last three i know nothing about so I'll have to start doing my research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire