Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM

123 posts, read 346,159 times

Advertisements

My wife may have a job opportunity in the Nashua area. My wife grew up in upstate NY but we know very little about New Hampshire. We are currently in Long Beach, CA. So we enjoy a culturally diverse community, with many true ethnic restaurants, entertainment, sporting events, museums, the beach and such. We hope to live in an area that has many of the same amenities we currently enjoy.
Can you let me a little about the Nashua, NH area? What is the city like? What is there to do for folks in there 20-30’s? Would the area be welcoming & open to a lesbian couple & family? How are housing prices & quality? Are there better areas then another for gay families & good schools? How far Nashua it from Manchester, what is that area like and would it fit our family better?
On the map it appears to be just over the boarder from (Tyngsboro, N. Chemlsford, Lowell) MA. What areas in MA might be with a commuting distance to Nashua, NH? How far of a drive would that really be during the week?
What are these areas like? Would they be a better fit for an 20-30 something, lesbian couple or young family? Is there much do to or any good places to eat or hang out in these towns??? And what is housing like in these areas?
We would be hoping for a area that is nice & safe, open & welcoming, fun with some entertainment and stuff to do and cool people to hang out with. We would also like to be in a area were we could get a decent updated home 2/3+bed, 2+bath, nice sized kitchen & living space, room for our pool table, and a nice yard for our doggies. For under $400,000 after looking on line I think we could a nice home for $270- $360, coming from CA our perception of what you get for the money maybe very different.
Please we would love some constructive feed back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,068,192 times
hmmm, well Nashua is the 2nd largest city in the state (manchester being the largest). But, in my opinion, I wouldn't rate it terribly high on "true ethnic restaurants, entertainment, sporting events, museums, the beach and such" manchester might be better for some of that. Of course, for the beach, you'd have to go out to Hampton or Rye to that area if you're looking for the ocean.

Now, Nashua is only about 1/2 hour to Manchester, and maybe an hour+ to Portsmouth (and the beaches).

As for attitude towards gay/lesbian families.. I suspect you'll find both views - like anywhere. Some people are perfectly fine and happy and don't care what you do privately, other people are against the idea just because they're against the idea.

Valerie is probably best to answer about the housing.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:58 PM

117 posts, read 426,158 times
I don't know much about Nashua, but Lowell is a changing city with a lot of interesting things happening. It is not as vibrant as Boston, but not as depressed as Lawrence either. They have a decent art scene, lots of restaurants, minor league baseball, and quick access to Boston by train.

Really though, you will get a lot more of that all around excitement the closer to Boston that you get. But heck, people travel from out here in Peterborough to Boston for a game, dinner or a show, so Nashua seems like a piece of cake to me!

You'll generally be doing the reverse commute to Nashua from Mass, so it wouldn't be too bad from most places.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info.
So, is there a gay/lesbian area in Nashua? Being from Long Beach we are used to in a very open and friendly community were couple of any type can walk down the street holding hands, or enjoy a romantic dinner at nearly any place with out funny looks. Any people are used to seeing families with two daddy's or mommy's and very ethnic mix and most don't give it much thought. I'm hoping to find a area to live that would be much the same in that way.

Rexicana - do you think Lowell is a open city when it comes to gay/lesbian families? Oh, and how are is Lowell from Nashua drive time wish?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 AM

117 posts, read 426,158 times
Honestly I have no idea. When I think of "havens" for alternative lifestyles, my mind goes to the Pioneer Valley (Northampton), Portland ME, Burlington VT, and Brattleboro. Other than those places, I believe there are either smaller communities throughout the state or places more open to gay/lesbian than others. I could be wrong though and hope you get the answer you need. I wish I could help more, but I really don't know.

I think Lowell is about 10-15 minutes from Nashua, but it depends on what side of Lowell and what side of Nashua you are going to. Not too bad.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,352,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj79 View Post
Thanks for the info.
So, is there a gay/lesbian area in Nashua? Being from Long Beach we are used to in a very open and friendly community were couple of any type can walk down the street holding hands, or enjoy a romantic dinner at nearly any place with out funny looks. Any people are used to seeing families with two daddy's or mommy's and very ethnic mix and most don't give it much thought. I'm hoping to find a area to live that would be much the same in that way.

Rexicana - do you think Lowell is a open city when it comes to gay/lesbian families? Oh, and how are is Lowell from Nashua drive time wish?
I would say no-generally people in NH are not used to seeing families with two daddies or two mommies walking down the street holding hands. It is not something you see on a regular basis. I have never witnessed that in my almost 10 years in NH and I have lived in Nashua, Concord and the Lakes Region-all different parts of the state. However, I do happen to know people who are gay-quite a few people that live in all areas of the state. That does not mean you will be discriminated against or you won't be accepted for who you are. I also don't believe there are gay/lesbian areas of any town or city in NH. Gay and Lesbian people tend to live in neighborhoods with those who are not Gay or Lesbian- There is not that type of segregation here in NH and quite frankly I hope we never have segregation of any type in NH. People-whoever they are and whatever they believe-live where ever they want. People for the most part don't care about your lifestyle etc. so long as you are a good neighbor and don't move here to change NH. Natives here take a while to warm up to newcomers and please don't automatically assume that is because someone is gay. They want to make sure you don't want to move here and change things such as butchering open space and instituting an income tax. Too many people move here to "escape" the taxes, overpopulation, crime of their former state only to bring the same mindset with them. People here don't want anyone to move here and want to make NH like their former state. That is what you will have a problem with not because you are gay or lesbian. Of course there will be people who may have a problem with those who are gay or lesbian but I believe that will not be the norm. If you look hard enough you will get that anywhere-even in progressive areas.

If you are really looking for a progressive city-Portland ME, Burlington VT might be up your alley, as others have suggested. If you are really looking for a city or town with a lot of gay or lesbian people out in the open and a gay or lesbian "section", I don't think NH is for you. However if you want a safe, beautiful state with open space, plenty to do outdoors, low taxes and most people who don't care about who you happen to love, then NH could be right for you.

Nicolem

Old 10-16-2008, 06:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,068,192 times
See, if you're looking for a very ethnic mix - you aren't looking in NH. NH has a little mix, but not really all that much. doesn't mean folks are hostile, just it's not there. I did see a barbecue/sushi/mongolian restaurant in Nashua - which was a bit surprising. Not a clue how it is.. not my taste in food.

Off the top of my head, well known enclaves for g/l lifestyle are in Ogunquit ME and Provincetown MA (tip of Cape Cod). There's another thread where I think a few places in VT were suggested as possibly being more open. You will always find some people who wish the Civil Union law was never passed and would like to see it repealed, but I don't think it's the majority. Basically, just as a poster asked a long time ago about the number of black people in an area... it's not that anyone will care, it's more that you'd be more recognizable on the street from a distance. But then, I haven't seen that many straight folks walking around holding hands either.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the feed back! It has helped me think what we are looking for... I'm from small town bible belt Midwest and then moved to Long Beach, CA. So the way of I've never lived any place with the live & let live attitude with out side of CA. Groups of people are very blended here and yet there are areas/neighborhoods with distinct groups. I actually prefer the mix that you all are talking about, I'm just a little "gun shy" coming from the Midwest were difference can be meant with hostility. But NH folks no worries if we do end up out that way weather in MA or NH side we want to take in the culture and such of the area. After all that is one of the best parts of moving getting to experience new things and meet new people. While I will check out the area and the other cities you have mentioned. Our move will be greatly dependent on the job offers my wife gets more then anything, she is in a bit of a specific profession.

Thanks... we might be asking for more information soon if they bring her out for a interview...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 AM

41 posts, read 204,146 times
You may want to look into Portsmouth for being gay friendly (or so it appeared to me although I'm not gay). I agree with other posters that in New England people aren't used to seeing couples hold hands, etc - but I've met more gay people in NH than other places.

As for ethnic foods - sorry but NH won't have a lot of options for you. I moved here from Florida and have found that there aren't enough restaurants for me. If you like Cheesecake Factory or PF Changs you'll have to go to Mass. (PF Changs is only in Boston, Cheesecake in several places in Mass.)

Let me suggest that you rent your place in Calif as you may want to return. NH is beautiful but it may be a bit of a culture shock for you.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM

105 posts, read 209,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives 4 The Water View Post
You may want to look into Portsmouth for being gay friendly (or so it appeared to me although I'm not gay). I agree with other posters that in New England people aren't used to seeing couples hold hands, etc - but I've met more gay people in NH than other places.

As for ethnic foods - sorry but NH won't have a lot of options for you. I moved here from Florida and have found that there aren't enough restaurants for me. If you like Cheesecake Factory or PF Changs you'll have to go to Mass. (PF Changs is only in Boston, Cheesecake in several places in Mass.)

Let me suggest that you rent your place in Calif as you may want to return. NH is beautiful but it may be a bit of a culture shock for you.

Good Luck!
Don't exactly know if I'd put either of those two restaurants in the ethnic category.

Nashua has many new places opening up. Went to an OK taqueria and a Brazilian place last week. There are Japanese and Indian places scattered around the city, and if you want good Vietnamese or Cambodian food, Lowell and Lawrence are just a short drive away. And Boston is always close.. A drive down to Boston is far easier than a drive across LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire