Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 AM

126 posts, read 788,374 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, will be traveling to NH and Vermont all the way from Texas on the 18th of October just to see the wonderful Fall colors. Will it be a tad too late? I keep reading stuff about how fall color is unpredictable. And read posts on this forum that say this year it is early!!

Any suggestions on which parts of New Hampshire have vivid fall colors that late? Any advice on what specific routes to follow?

Can't wait to get there!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
looking at the reports everyone has been posting, it's already hit peak in the mountains, so it will be on the decline there. You're best bet will be in the south.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Perhaps central Massachusetts well west of greater Boston.

In inland central CT is will be about 50% changed.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
You should be aight if you stick around the south

Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 PM

24 posts, read 89,396 times
Default This is the site I use and I live here

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
Hi everyone, will be traveling to NH and Vermont all the way from Texas on the 18th of October just to see the wonderful Fall colors. Will it be a tad too late? I keep reading stuff about how fall color is unpredictable. And read posts on this forum that say this year it is early!!

Any suggestions on which parts of New Hampshire have vivid fall colors that late? Any advice on what specific routes to follow?

Can't wait to get there!!!!!!
Foliage in the New Hampshire Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee Region - NewHampshire.com (http://www.newhampshire.com/foliage/dartmouth-sunapee.aspx - broken link)
In my opinion, it is early this year and not as colorful as in past years. I agree with others that you will see more color in the southern parts of New England vs. the mountains of NH and Vt and Me. However, any vacacation time in NE is usually better then none. There are so many beautiful and charming towns in NH and VT. I just drove over to Queechee Gorge Vt on Tues from Sandwich NH and just driving the back roads and looking at everything along the way keeps me saying, Gosh I gotta come over this way again soon. Very picturesque.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM

259 posts, read 988,089 times
After a trip through Concord last weekend, I'd definitely expexct for things be past peak for central N.H. by the 18th. Rain is expected tomorrow and that seems to speed things up a bit. As for my weekend trip west of Concord to New London was colorful but a bit behind peak as of then. nighttime temps have been cool which gets things going on quickly too. day-time temps have been delightful in the warm sun. You will enjoy your visit. A drive up the Maine coast may be in order by then to catch what remains then.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Based on the color here in Southern NH today (moderate, but somewhat muted) I think by the 18th it'll be just past peak. Consider heading west through the Berkshires (google Berkshires foliage for more info) and enjoy your visit

Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM

33 posts, read 191,947 times
The Upper Valley region of NH is experiencing greta colors, and is rapidly, if not already peaking. I have some photos in the NH photo thread section that illustrate colors of the upper valley, and in the White Mtns. Check em out...I posted last night, so they are still recent. Its looking pretty good this year.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
I was in North Conway last weekend and it was still very green. I would give it another week from now to be peak. However on the north side of the mountains in northern NH, we're just over the peak now. My husband is also coming in on the 16th and we're staying in the Lincoln area for the weekend. I think we will time it just right in that area as well. Hopefully anyways.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Actually, I was Lincoln and North Conway today and the colors were definitely close to peak, if not at it. Really beautiful. If any of you are heading out to the mountains or the lakes region in the next few days, the colors south of the notches (Franconia, Crawford, Pinkham) are wonderful, but as soon as you enter and go north of the notches, most of the foliage is past peak and there are very few reds left.

I think you should be able to find some peak colors on the 18th in southern NH. If the Monadnock Region is past peak, then you can try the Seacoast. Head over to Portsmouth and New Castle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire