Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times

Advertisements

Ok, someone had posted something about car registration on one of the threads (can't find it at the mo'). Which I hadn't given thought to, but now I'm curious.

Down here it's about $75 every 2 years to register your car, I think it's a flat fee, doesn't change with the age or value.

How does it work up there? is it an annual fee, bi annual? flat fee or does it change with the make and age of the vehicle? I tend to drive a van and hubby likes his corolla.

I know there is a required inspection - is that annual? we have an 'emissions inspection' for $14 every few years but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Depends on the age of your cars.
Inspection is an annual deal, I think it cost 20-30 bucks, not sure. It's pretty much BS, but the sticker is required.
Our registration was well into the hundreds of dollars per car. Our cars were relatively new. As they age, and value declines, the registration cost declines.
It was a real sticker shock to us, compared to something similar to your costs from where we moved from.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:36 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,346 times
It's about the same as what I was paying in CA--so it's not THAT much of a shock to me, but might well be to you.

30-40 is about what you'll pay for inspection, but no smog requirements here.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM

111 posts, read 485,206 times
There is mandantory emissions testing in NH of 12/1/2006 when this article was written. Most inspections including emissions cost $40.00.

AP) CONCORD, N.H. Starting today, emissions tests begin to count in New Hampshire.

As of Friday, owners of vehicles made in 2002 or later will have to have an emissions test as part of their annual vehicle inspection, and make repairs, if necessary, to pass.

The state has been using emissions testing only as an advisory system since May 2005. Now, owners whose vehicles fail the emissions test will have 60 days to get the problem fixed.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:19 AM

147 posts, read 268,820 times
Default ok...here is our scoop

We bought a 2006 Toyota for $14,500 in July....registration for 8 months was about $470. Just renewed registration through march of 2008.....15 mos...was another $292 and the inspection was $45. Believe it or not...its about the same in Nebraska.

What amazed us the most though was trying to get a driver's license here...they dont play. Make sure you have a utility bill.....electric or water, and lease or letter from town clerk declaring your residency. They are strict...at least at the one in Newington.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 AM

259 posts, read 988,556 times
The older + less valuable + also lighter your vehicle is, the cheaper it is. It's somewhat confusing because the town + state are both derriving revenue from the process. Town takes excise tax + state charges registration fee. My 2003 chevy truck is down to $400/ yr, inclusive. I'm expecting $250 this year(2007-2008)Inspection can be as much as $60.00 with new pollution check coming online now. Registration bottoms out at about $50.00 for a junker, $30 for a light utility trailer.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,248 times
The drivers license thing sounds absurd! So if you can't prove you're a resident to their satisfaction, you keep the old one... and then they give you a ticket for not having a license, right? An electric bill.. that's strange... don't you have to change the license in the first two weeks or something? Needless to say, you will not have an electric bill yet!! Anytime I've moved, I've changed the license within the first couple of days, never had a problem.

This is the type of stuff that turned me off from moving to Mass, I have no tolerance for excessive red tape. Is NH different... or is the DL thing indicative of what I'd be in for?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Emissions tests are such BS. I guess the MA-immigrant contingent finally sold it in the legislature.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Emissions tests are such BS. I guess the MA-immigrant contingent finally sold it in the legislature.

Yep--and next is MORE taxes, without reducing property taxes either.

MA-lite, coming to a town near you.

The only real issue I have with NH registration is that you have to go to the town hall and THEN the DMV to pay your registration.

So now you're doubling your time (and hassle) just to register your vehicle.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
The only real issue I have with NH registration is that you have to go to the town hall and THEN the DMV to pay your registration.

So now you're doubling your time (and hassle) just to register your vehicle.
Strange. My town hall lets me do it through the mail. They handle the DMV. Couldn't be more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire