Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 07:17 PM

266 posts, read 235,634 times

Advertisements

Many people online warn that Manchester NH is a dangerous place. Too much crime. Homelessness. Gangs. And drug problems.

Is this true? Is Manchester legitimately a dangerous place compared to the rest of the USA? Or is it just dangerous compared to like Conway and Franconia?

BTW, I am in Manchester now, and just at a glance, it seems nice to me. It has good size. Lots of interesting looking places on Elm St to go. But neither is it an overwhelming mega-city. Some of it appears to be very walkable. So many cities, especially outside of New England, just make it absolutely brutal, dangerous, and uninviting to walk even the slightest bit. It's pleasant here. Some very nice looking older buildings too. Maybe there is something I'm missing about Manchester, but it seems like this is a small city that deserves a bit more love and appreciation! Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 07:25 PM

Kind of scary. Got this comment 6 years ago from BraveStranger: "Good points about school rankings. Manchester is really on a downward spiral these days....IMO it's about to tip over into a really bad place." Did it happen?

Old 05-03-2022, 07:29 PM

Wow. Another comment from 6 years ago. Scary stuff. Has it gotten better in the last 6 years? I didn't see any violence around here today. But did see some sketchy people on the street. Now that I think of it, it wasn't exactly like happy families were strolling around all over the place.

"I now have my answer after living here for just a month. This city has a population of 110k and has as much random violence as cities 20 times its population. Ive felt safer in ghettos in new York and Florida. It's unbelievable to me. Tons of sketchy people all over the place too, many extremely uncomfortable to be around and these people are not friendly, id rather hang out with the people from the movie house of a thousand corpses. I dont recommend this city at all, by far the worst place I've ever lived. Been here a month and three people have been shot dead. Last one was on a busy street with witnesses in broad daylight. This place is ****ed, it's like how I always pictured Detroit to be in my head."

Old 05-03-2022, 08:49 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Manchester is rather sketchy. Drug abuse begets crime and violence. It's definitely the armpit of NH, but not even in the top 100 of most dangerous cities in the US.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:49 AM

9,069 posts, read 6,300,219 times
I don't go to Manchester all too often but I have never felt unsafe there as a visitor. I think any of the cities in Massachusetts are more dangerous.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:56 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I rarely go to Manchester, and when I do, it's in broad daylight. I would never park there overnight for fear of having the catalytic converter in my car or wheels stolen, or have my gas tank punctured and the contents thieved. I also would never work there and leave my car parked for hours unattended. I compare it to Murderpan down in MA.

And yes, Manchester is one of the most diverse areas in NH, but I'm not seeing the benefit in that.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I rarely go to Manchester, and when I do, it's in broad daylight. I would never park there overnight for fear of having the catalytic converter in my car or wheels stolen, or have my gas tank punctured and the contents thieved. I also would never work there and leave my car parked for hours unattended. I compare it to Murderpan down in MA.

And yes, Manchester is one of the most diverse areas in NH, but I'm not seeing the benefit in that.
Yikes! I have lived in Boston and never had a concern of my car being stolen!!

Old 05-05-2022, 10:32 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post Theft from cars (including catalytic converter) is up everywhere in the region, not just Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Yikes! I have lived in Boston and never had a concern of my car being stolen!!
Car theft in ManchVegas is up, slightly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUR
When it comes to violent crimes, the report shows a drop of 16% compared to a year ago. But property crime rates, which include burglary, larceny/theft, motor vehicle thefts and arson, was up 10%, leading to an overall increase in the crime rate of 4%.

"Theft from and theft of motor vehicles is really the major contributing factor to that rise," Aldenberg
In general theft of newer cars is almost always a crime of opportunity when the key fob is left in the car or otherwise accessible (e.g. in an open purse on the bar).

Old 05-05-2022, 11:02 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Miu, Manchester is nothing like Mattapan. You don't see druggies roaming around Mattapan and you don't have muti generational gang violence in Manchester.

Bruiser, don't know how long you've been living in Boston but Boston was once the car theft capital of the US.

Dec. 1983: BOSTON, SELF PROCLAIMED CAR THEFT CAPITAL, IS WEARY OF IMAGE

My mother's friend had her Ford Taurus stole in the early 2000s right from in front of our house- she just happened to come by and be talking with my mom. In the early 2010s my girlfriend's father had his Honda Civic stolen and my boss in Quincy had his Cadilac stolen in 2014 (recovered via Lo-Jack). All of these cars were stolen at private residences. The Caddilac was stolen from Dedham and not Boston though.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:03 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Manchester thieves are very diverse ,,The Catalytic will be stolen from Black, White ,Red and Yellow cars. also Old, New and broken down autos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire